Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone in Cheltenham have a Model 3 jackpad I could borrow tomorrow morning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hit a huge pothole in my M3P today, and it blew my rear tyre. Managed to get Tesla breakdown to take me home and have locates the correct Michelin Pilot tyre on “Tyres on the drive” for fitting tomorrow. Even though they have committed to the work and taken my money they have admitted they don’t have the correct jack pad to lift the car...I’ve ordered one on Amazon but it’s not coming till Monday. If anyone has one I could borrow tomorrow morning it would be REALLY appreciated.

I hope so. They listed the Tesla M3 Performance and they had exactly the same code (pilot 4s). The option they gave me on the phone was to have it recovered to a nearby tyre fitter and have leave it with them - which I was not comfortable with!

How can I tell if the tyre they are fitting is acoustic or not?

may be an ICE Hockey Puck?

Hockey_puck

• Funny
Reactions: rotor2k
The pad/puck is useful for getting the jack on the right spot, but it can also be done with a rubber pad/wooden block on the jack and a bit of care. The puck is not essential.

But I have a set of pucks by Evesham if you want to borrow?

The pad/puck is useful for getting the jack on the right spot, but it can also be done with a rubber pad/wooden block on the jack and a bit of care. The puck is not essential.

But I have a set of pucks by Evesham if you want to borrow?

If it's just a Jack a Hockey puck or block of wood is very easy to get by with.

If it's a tire shop they might be using a full lift and that would be a bit tedious to line up 4 hockey pucks (doable but most tire places are in a rush and to impatient).

I wonder how many torn up tires/rims the OP will go through before he get's rid of those 20" OEM rims.

I bet the rim is bent too, if it was enough to blow out the tire it's highly likely bent.

Reactions: jsmay311
Checked with Tyres on the drive and this morning and they had correctly ordered a original fitment (TO Acoustic) which is a result!

Now onto YouTube and the wood manufacturing of a pad before they get here at 11. Thanks for the offer of the puck in Evesham though - appreciated.

I really hope the rim is not damaged - I guess I’ll find out when they try and balance it. I have pictured the pothole and am going to try and claim from highways for the tyre, but think it will be a long fight!

Just got mine delivered; A Hockey Puck with a notch on it ;)

View attachment 497472

You want ones with O-Rings, they are much better.

You want to be able to pop one or all 4 in and drop the car off. Without the O-Ring a hockey puck will work almost as good (or better) because your gonna have to hold it in place as you bring the jack or lift up (pretty hairy with a lift). And if it’s not perfectly lined up the the nub could miss. Where a hockey puck could be off a bit and still be fine.

The O-Ring style puck goes in easy, comes out easy and is enough Friction to hold itself in place. that’s what you want. You don’t put jack pads “on the jack”. You put jack pads “on the car”. Then bring the jack or lift to it.

Fancy Model X Jack pads stay in with magnets.

Jump to 3:20

Last edited:

Before you use it in anger, make sure the 'nipple' is not too long. Many Amazon ones were too long and the nipple compresses, expands, jams in the hole and breaks off. There is a thread here that says how to modify if too long.

Fancy Model X Jack pads stay in with magnets.

My Model 3 ones from Abstract Ocean have extending magnetic nipples o_O They work brilliantly - just like a limpet mine :oops:

Before you use it in anger, make sure the 'nipple' is not too long. Many Amazon ones were too long and the nipple compresses, expands, jams in the hole and breaks off. There is a thread here that says how to modify if too long.

My Model 3 ones from Abstract Ocean have extending magnetic nipples o_O They work brilliantly - just like a limpet mine :oops:

Good point on the long nipple. That does look on the long side as well. Some (99%) of this stuff is made in China and they have no clue of how it’s actually used. And many buyers don’t know how they are used either.

View attachment 497472

This will be OK but you need to get a hacksaw and saw off half the nipple leaving about ½ inch. I posted about this previously. This modification is important to avoid it getting stuck in the hole and/or breaking off. Once you have done the mod it will be fine.