Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone keep their hands on the wheel when on AP?

Do you keep your hands on the wheel when on AP?

• Yes, safety first.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • No way I'm hands free if the car is driving why should I

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Only when the kids are in the car.

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know AP is new and everyone is anxious to watch the wheel move on its own but after awhile do you think you will use hands as well? I've tried keepin my hands on the wheel for a tiny bit, it's actually not bad. Anyone else try AP with hands on the steering wheel?

Last edited:
I know AP is new and everyone is anxious to watch the wheel move on it's own but after awhile do you think you will use hands as well? I've tried keepin my hands on the wheel for a tiny bit, it's actually not bad. Anyone else try AP with hands on the steering wheel?

If I see you driving around Portland without your hands on the wheel I am going to pull up next to you and lay on my loud a$$ Honda horn.

KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL AT ALL TIMES!

I've been doing most of my testing on city street (yeah, whatever, I know it's not intended for that), so I keep my hands on the wheel because it's unpredictable.

I haven't thought about where to put my hands for highway driving. On one hand I'm just so USED to keeping them on the wheel, it may feel odd to keep them elsewhere. On the other hand (once the software improves, yada yada) I might keep them on my lap, or the arm rest, within a few inches of the steering wheel.

I've been knitting while I drive. Making an awesome Tesla scarf for Christmas. When that's done I'm gonna work on little Tesla mittens to keep my paws warm because I didn't get the heated steering wheel and even if I did I wouldn't have my hands on it. I was going to just remove the steering wheel, but then I can't honk at Hondas honking at me.

(obviously joking)

If I see you driving around Portland without your hands on the wheel I am going to pull up next to you and lay on my loud a$$ Honda horn.

KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL AT ALL TIMES! [Ridiculous font edited]
Since the majority is clearly against you, maybe you can take a step back and recognize that just because our hands aren't physically touching the wheel doesn't mean we're completely out to lunch (despite the biased wording of the poll). My hands are probably not more than 6" from the wheel and my eyes are glued to what the car is doing. Reaction time is going to be determined much more by the processing of inputs and recognition of a problem, which usually takes at least a second or two to develop, than by the tiny fraction of a second it takes to get my hands physically to the wheel once I decide to react.

Yeah not enough poll options I think.

As I'm getting used to it, I'm getting better ideas of what types of road conditions it will handle fine. So in areas where there is no oncoming traffic and very clearly marked lines, I'll be completely hands off. If I'm approaching an area where lanes are either absent or obstructed, I'll either hover my hand over the wheel or physically "hold" the wheel but not actively steer it.

relax my friend
Because I'm the one using all caps, exclamation points and super-size fonts as I shout my intention to road-rage at people I disagree with. Right.

Common sense dictates being extremely vigilant when using beta software in a potentially lethal situation. No question there. It does not dictate physical contact with the steering wheel at all times, which could actually be counter-productive.

Ap can quickly turn the wheel into oncoming traffic, especially in situations where there is a 'ridge' in the road. Hard to describe exactly, but there is a video on YouTube showing it, and it's happened to me several times in the same scenario. Keeping your hands on the wheel will let you prevent the car from leaving your lane, but reacting after the wheel gets cut hard to the left may not stop it in time. Be safe out there...

Ap can quickly turn the wheel into oncoming traffic, especially in situations where there is a 'ridge' in the road. Hard to describe exactly, but there is a video on YouTube showing it, and it's happened to me several times in the same scenario. Keeping your hands on the wheel will let you prevent the car from leaving your lane, but reacting after the wheel gets cut hard to the left may not stop it in time. Be safe out there...
I avoid this by not using AP on roads with oncoming traffic. I don't trust it nearly that much. To each his own I guess.

Went on a 230 mile trip and had my hands on the wheel for about 15-20 miles only. That was mainly interstate changes and the such. It actually does a great job even in heavy traffic. One issue that I noticed that confuses it are off ramps. Sometimes its getting off instead of going straight. Usually an off ramp that has a bend to the left, otherwise it is awesome.

My hands have been going on my knees for highway driving that I'm fairly comfortable the AP system can handle. If I engage it on surface streets or if I'm approaching sketchy areas on the highway (poorly painted lines, construction, strange merging, etc.) I cup my hands around the wheel, ready to take over if needed.

Just did 150 miles on the highway. Hands off the wheel, but VERY close on my knees. It was an odd feeling.

When I'm playing with AP on city streets, hands on the wheel, as it's not predictable (expected)