Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone keep their hands on the wheel when on AP?

Do you keep your hands on the wheel when on AP?

• Yes, safety first.

Votes: 48 46.2%
  • No way I'm hands free if the car is driving why should I

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Only when the kids are in the car.

Votes: 6 5.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been knitting while I drive. Making an awesome Tesla scarf for Christmas. When that's done I'm gonna work on little Tesla mittens to keep my paws warm because I didn't get the heated steering wheel and even if I did I wouldn't have my hands on it. I was going to just remove the steering wheel, but then I can't honk at Hondas honking at me.

(obviously joking)

My wife would love to knit while driving :)

I can think of a lot of things that would be worse than AutoPilot, and that's seeing this on your dashboard...every...ten...seconds.
FordLakeKeeping.jpg

10 seconds-displays this
20 seconds-dings at you once
30 seconds-dings at you repeatedly and suggests that you pull over for some coffee and rest
40 seconds-I never make it this far because it is annoying

I'm sure it's this way because someone, I don't know...tried to drive from the back seat or something. People that test the limits of a function and get into trouble are why we can't have nice things. :tongue:

My hands have been going on my knees for highway driving that I'm fairly comfortable the AP system can handle. If I engage it on surface streets or if I'm approaching sketchy areas on the highway (poorly painted lines, construction, strange merging, etc.) I cup my hands around the wheel, ready to take over if needed.

^^exactly this^^

You know... within our lifetimes it will illegal to drive your own car.

I know we're not there yet... Elon says 5-6 years (which means double that). But not long after, laws will be passed that robots must drive our cars. Why? Because there are 30,000 fatalities every year right now, and we can get that down to ... 1000(?) with robot drivers.

There will still be people who want to drive their cars because it's fun, but most of our major roadways will enjoin you from doing this.

So all of you nerds playing with AP right now are pioneers of sorts. :)

You know... within our lifetimes it will illegal to drive your own car.

I know we're not there yet... Elon says 5-6 years (which means double that). But not long after, laws will be passed that robots must drive our cars. Why? Because there are 30,000 fatalities every year right now, and we can get that down to ... 1000(?) with robot drivers.

There will still be people who want to drive their cars because it's fun, but most of our major roadways will enjoin you from doing this.

So all of you nerds playing with AP right now are pioneers of sorts. :)
I drove over a 9000 ft. pass on a steep winding road with AP just to see how it would do... it did pretty well (although I was nervous and had to "correct" it several times).
On the way back, I drove without AP... it was much more fun.

I hope I can continue to drive my own car in the future.

If I see you driving around Portland without your hands on the wheel I am going to pull up next to you and lay on my loud a$$ Honda horn.

KEEP YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL AT ALL TIMES!

No. :p

Went from LA - Las Vegas... touched the wheel maybe 5 times. Want to be vigilant but also remember it only is as smart as we train it so the more reuse it, and correct bad behavior the better it will get. That said, be careful... don't fall asleep, and avoid oncoming cars :p

Last edited:
I drove over a 9000 ft. pass on a steep winding road with AP just to see how it would do... it did pretty well (although I was nervous and had to "correct" it several times).
On the way back, I drove without AP... it was much more fun.

I hope I can continue to drive my own car in the future.

I think we will always have roads that you can drive yourself on, but during rush hour, I believe the major roadways will be "auto driving" cars only, and you will not be allowed to take a normal car on it, or if you have a car that lets you do both, it will automatically enable auto driving.

I think we will always have roads that you can drive yourself on, but during rush hour, I believe the major roadways will be "auto driving" cars only, and you will not be allowed to take a normal car on it, or if you have a car that lets you do both, it will automatically enable auto driving.

I am reminded of Demolition Man and I, Robot... lol! Thank you Movies for seeing the future!