Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know how Tesla calculates lease residuals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are still in-between deciding if we should buy or lease and I really wish Tesla was more transparent with us on the lease calculation. I'd never lease a car without understanding completely well how the lease residuals are calculated as the lease payment is a combination of the money factor and the residual and they can alter the lease payment with either figure. The money factor seems to be fixed but we have considered several different Model S configurations and they've all had different residuals and it seemed a bit arbitrary.

Has anyone figured out if Tesla has a transparent and clear formula for calculating residuals? I know we all dislike car dealers and the games they play but it always bothered me that the formula for lease residuals is not shared in a transparent way.

I'd assume they are using the same "math" that they use under the resale guarantee, as found here:
http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/tesla-resale-value-guarantee.pdf

However, since that is backed by Tesla, and the lease is through a 3rd party bank (US Bank right now)-- the actual residual would be up to them to handle. Remember too that a few people have mentioned that Tesla will crank up the lease residual $7,500 based on the tax credit, making a buy-out at lease end undesirable to most.