Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know how to remove a bird dropping mark on the paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a mark that's not so obvious when looking directly at it but when looking at the reflection of the car I can see a mark where a bird dropping must have hit the car (It's been there since the car was delivered in May). Just wondered if anyone knows how to correct this.

I've got a mark that's not so obvious when looking directly at it but when looking at the reflection of the car I can see a mark where a bird dropping must have hit the car (It's been there since the car was delivered in May). Just wondered if anyone knows how to correct this.

Take it to a service center and have them polish it out. But be careful, if the person is not skilled they could leave swirls that are worse than the not-so-obvious mark.

it's probably not bird dropping but factory paint defect. The ones that are on the aluminum framing they might be able to get out if they are know what they are doing with polishing (if they don't, they could mess up the paint job seriously).

I actually have half a dozen of these are least, probably more. However, almost all of mine are located on the black trim pieces around the windows (the piller areas and the wider area in between the windshield and the start of the pano roof). I showed these to the guys are the Queens service center yesterday and he said those pieces are not painted by Tesla - those come directly painted by a third party supplier. These ones cannot be polished out. They would need to cut out the entire pano roof areas to replace that part. They said they would replace those under warranty but they said they dont recommend doing it because it involves cutting a lot of things and tearing the entire roof off essentially. I honestly don't really care to make a big deal about this and I'm not comfortable with them cutting things and dissembling the entire roof just to replace those black panels so I opted not to do anything about it. There are more important things in life than complaining about a few paint spots on my car, seriously. Just rotate my tires and give me some windshield wiper fluid and let me on my way ;)

Bird droppings are very acidic depending on geographic location and the type of bird. When left on, every time water is put on the bird droppings, it reactivates the acids and they etch the surface further more.

They can however be eliminated. Depending on severity, polishing will most likely do the trick. If further in the clear, sanding/compounding will be required.

Find a reputable detailer in your area and show him the spots.

Next time, you should carry a mirofiber towel and a detail spray. Whenever you see bird droppings or insect poop, just spray the area right away and wipe clean with mf towel.

Hope this helps.

- - - Updated - - -

it's probably not bird dropping but factory paint defect. The ones that are on the aluminum framing they might be able to get out if they are know what they are doing with polishing (if they don't, they could mess up the paint job seriously).

I actually have half a dozen of these are least, probably more. However, almost all of mine are located on the black trim pieces around the windows (the piller areas and the wider area in between the windshield and the start of the pano roof). I showed these to the guys are the Queens service center yesterday and he said those pieces are not painted by Tesla - those come directly painted by a third party supplier. These ones cannot be polished out. They would need to cut out the entire pano roof areas to replace that part. They said they would replace those under warranty but they said they dont recommend doing it because it involves cutting a lot of things and tearing the entire roof off essentially. I honestly don't really care to make a big deal about this and I'm not comfortable with them cutting things and dissembling the entire roof just to replace those black panels so I opted not to do anything about it. There are more important things in life than complaining about a few paint spots on my car, seriously. Just rotate my tires and give me some windshield wiper fluid and let me on my way ;)

We have successfully taken buffer marks, from the factory, and light scratches out of the black areas you've mentioned. They just need to be done by a skilled professional.