Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know how to remove the rear headrests in a Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just noticed that my son's car seat is making an indentation on a rear headrest. I cannot figure out how to remove the rear headrests. I have moved them up and down but cannot get them to completely disengage and cannot find any sort of release button/hole as there are on other cars. Has anyone figured this out? Thank you in advance.

So I just noticed that my son's car seat is making an indentation on a rear headrest. I cannot figure out how to remove the rear headrests. I have moved them up and down but cannot get them to completely disengage and cannot find any sort of release button/hole as there are on other cars. Has anyone figured this out? Thank you in advance.
I took out both for this specific reason (car seats).

On the opposite post of the button to raise and lower there is a very small opening (it's easy to miss but it is definitely there). You'll need a small flathead (like those used to adjust sunglasses/eyeglasses) and while pulling up on the headrest, push the flathead into the hole.

This is easier if the seats are folded down a little, as the headrest while coming out will hit the roof and you'll have to bend otherwise.

Super easy once you get the flathead into the hole.

Push down on each side of headrest to expose the rods and push the fabric down more and you should see a clip. Pry it out and repeat for the other side. Be aware that the headrest also holds the plastic seat cover in place.
I think you might be talking about the front headrests? I'm not sure if you've done this, but please don't do this for the rear headrests - removing the clips that hold your headrest is a good way to permanently break the mechanism. It's easy to remove without prying anything.

The manual literally contains the right way:

Screenshot_20220322-152738_Chrome.jpg