Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know how to secure this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the passenger side front camera. The top chromed cover is lifting off. I tried pressing it down to reseat it, but it doesn't stay secured. Do I just glue it back?

Attachments

• IMG_1791.jpeg
    IMG_1791.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 94
It bothers me that so often the answer is that we are to call a mobile ranger to do a two-minute fix on some part of our cars. Sure. It's so easy to spend part of the group's reserve money, have a fellow drive out (I live a hundred miles from SC) and tape a piece of chrome down, taking a full afternoon and charging over $500. Good call!! Just think where we'd be if everyone had to have a ranger come by to tape a piece of chrome down.

I'm the type of person who sees a couple ink smudges on the headliner (or could be grease, or who knows what it is) and with a little rubbing alcohol and warm soapy water on a sponge makes the spot disappear in about five seconds, or, I am able to adjust the bumper bolts on the hood so it closes evenly. Luckily there are others in this world who are able to figure out how to repair or clean up minor problems without causing a company to go bankrupt.

On the other hand if everyone fixes these small build quality issues, Tesla will not notice and won't improve their process.

I'm all for fixing things myself but as long as I'm under warranty, be sure I'll call a Mobile Tech for every little thing I notice.

Reactions: Chaserr and MP3Mike
It bothers me that so often the answer is that we are to call a mobile ranger to do a two-minute fix on some part of our cars. Sure. It's so easy to spend part of the group's reserve money, have a fellow drive out (I live a hundred miles from SC) and tape a piece of chrome down, taking a full afternoon and charging over $500. Good call!! Just think where we'd be if everyone had to have a ranger come by to tape a piece of chrome down.

I'm the type of person who sees a couple ink smudges on the headliner (or could be grease, or who knows what it is) and with a little rubbing alcohol and warm soapy water on a sponge makes the spot disappear in about five seconds, or, I am able to adjust the bumper bolts on the hood so it closes evenly. Luckily there are others in this world who are able to figure out how to repair or clean up minor problems without causing a company to go bankrupt.
Well said. Our society has generally become helpless about stuff like this. Just “call the guy” to fix any little thing (this is a generality, not directed at OP).

Last edited:
Reactions: PWlakewood

Well obviously if a company is going to go bankrupt fixing minor issues for customers then maybe the company should look into building a product that doesn’t require fixing so early in its life... of course to a fanboy that may not be obvious

You are assuming things that we don't have answers to.
Is car still under warranty?
Does it just need a piece of tape to stick it back on or does it actually have a broken clip or mount behind it that will keep from falling off in the future?
How close is the SC?
etc.

But paying what you do for an MS and mobile service is provided then that's a perk we have as Tesla owners that other car owners don't have.

I've had the mobile service guys out a couple of times and they are always happy, professional, and don't complain no matter how simple the repair was. The last one was an ambient light out in the interior and only took the guy 10 min to fix but I didn't know that there was actually a switch inside the door panel that had been 'reversed' at some point.
So sometimes what seems simple might have something a little different behind it.

For those (like me) that want to fix it themselves I wonder if we would just create a service request in the app and then later, after fixing it, cancel it. Explain in the comments that it was broken and we had a way to deal with it on our own (and maybe what the fix was).

This way Tesla still has the service request, the issue and potentially a possible fix that can be repeated by them. If they choose to ignore the information and just cancel the service request and wipe any record of it, then shame on them.

• Helpful
Reactions: tomas
For those (like me) that want to fix it themselves I wonder if we would just create a service request in the app and then later, after fixing it, cancel it. Explain in the comments that it was broken and we had a way to deal with it on our own (and maybe what the fix was).

This way Tesla still has the service request, the issue and potentially a possible fix that can be repeated by them. If they choose to ignore the information and just cancel the service request and wipe any record of it, then shame on them.

I did this once with a headlight height adjustment mechanism. It wasn't working, opened a request but figured it out and fixed it myself a couple days later. Then I canceled the request.

With that said, I'm fairly sure they don't take such service requests seriously, even for the record. If there's anything really wrong, they always ask for more pictures, videos and send a tech to confirm before ordering a new part.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Well said. Our society has generally become helpless about stuff like this. Just “call the guy” to fix any little thing (this is a generality, not directed at OP).

I kind of agree and disagree with this. While it's a small fix that most anyone can do, if the OP attempts the fix and does further damage, they risk voiding the warranty for that particular part. Also who's to say that this part is not supposed to be water-tight and needs to be adhered a specific way.

All that being said - it's a $2.00 fix that will take all of 30 seconds to do.

Reactions: ucmndd
I’ve always taken the stance of two things
1)if these things are build quality issues Tesla needs to know. I’ve taken pics and sent them and even gotten a response like put some 3m tape on and you’re good.
2)if there is a problem and you’re under warranty and you fix it and it’s not in line with their proper way to fix it they may decline the fix later.

Yeah, my thought is to take Gixx1300R’s suggestion and go with the double sided tape for now. If that doesn’t hold over the short term, then I’ll call for the mobile tech. The car will be 3 years old in October, so I’m still covered. I can still send them a pix and see what they say.

I think most here have made good points.

I kind of agree and disagree with this. While it's a small fix that most anyone can do, if the OP attempts the fix and does further damage, they risk voiding the warranty for that particular part. Also who's to say that this part is not supposed to be water-tight and needs to be adhered a specific way.

Good points. Under warranty I’d consider adding something like this “to the list” to be dealt with during the next service appointment. Though to be honest, my need for service appointments has been very rare. I wouldn’t waste anyone’s time (including mine) to have this dealt with by Tesla as a solo issue.

I fix a lot of my own stuff on our Teslas, but that's because it's easier FOR ME than scheduling an appointment and waiting for a ranger or worse, wasting a day (or more with latest queueing system) going to SC, dealing with no loaners, etc. However, it is not always easier for everyone, not everyone is technically inclined or even have around automotive grade tape or glues, so they don't know what can be superglued, or VHB taped, or nailed down, etc. Tesla makes a consumer product, perhaps they should just make them better, like other car manufacturers? Or, at the very least provide a kit with each car which includes some VHB tape, and a bunch of spare plastic clips which keep on breaking. But no, Tesla has been fighting harder than any other manufacturer to keep people from fixing their own cars - I used to have to drive an hour each way and pay a $1 for little blue or black clips which break whenever you remove any inside panels to fix things like noises and rattles (sometimes the rattle is a clip that broke at the factory). So no, Tesla doesn't want people fixing their own cars, and maybe they have reasons, like they don't want people "fixing" things incorrectly which would make things like FSD possibly dangerous (attach AP camera at an incorrect angle, or misconnect left and right, etc), or maybe they don't want someone permanently gluing something which should have been movable in the first place (e.g. after we picked up a brand new MS in 2017, the side mirror would go limp and flop around while driving - after 2 mirror assembly replacements (full day wasted on each to drive to SC), my wife suggested I permanently glue the mirror in place - lucky the 3th assembly did the trick).

So bottom line, they either make cars, or pre-assembled car kits. They cannot expect people to know how to fix things properly and have the skills and parts to do it, especially that they keep the repair manuals and tools away from customers, and restrict people from purchasing parts. So they evidently want you to call a ranger for everything (ok, maybe Elon would prefer you just buy a new car every time instead, like he does, but not everyone can afford that).

Last edited:

If you know what you're doing and have the automotive VHB tape handy, sure, $2.00 fix in 30 seconds. But what if someone just pours a bunch of glue or epoxy in there which the happen to just have handy in their garage, so that the chrome sticks? If you're not mechanically included that might sound quiet reasonable to a customer, to just pour glue in and stick it, no? Imagine now that it breaks the camera because the glue or epoxy leaked inside, so now the customer now takes the car in because AP doesn't work. Tesla comes back with "user error, not covered under warranty" and charges the customer for new parts, labor required to remove all the glue from the body of the car (yea, glue leaked out cementing the camera to the body), and maybe even paint job because it gets damaged as part of that. Would you say that would be reasonable for Tesla, or do you think they warranty any and all repairs done by customers, even if those repairs cause more damage than what they were repairing? Sure, I gave you a worst case scenario here, but that's to illustrate the point that customers are not trained to fix their own cars, and therefore Tesla doesn't warranty any damages caused by such customer repairs.

If you know what you're doing and have the automotive VHB tape handy, sure, $2.00 fix in 30 seconds. But what if someone just pours a bunch of glue or epoxy in there which the happen to just have handy in their garage, so that the chrome sticks? If you're not mechanically included that might sound quiet reasonable to a customer, to just pour glue in and stick it, no? Imagine now that it breaks the camera because the glue or epoxy leaked inside, so now the customer now takes the car in because AP doesn't work. Tesla comes back with "user error, not covered under warranty" and charges the customer for new parts, labor required to remove all the glue from the body of the car (yea, glue leaked out cementing the camera to the body), and maybe even paint job because it gets damaged as part of that. Would you say that would be reasonable for Tesla, or do you think they warranty any and all repairs done by customers, even if those repairs cause more damage than what they were repairing? Sure, I gave you a worst case scenario here, but that's to illustrate the point that customers are not trained to fix their own cars, and therefore Tesla doesn't warranty any damages caused by such customer repairs.

Umm, this would be me. In my family I’m the last person asked to assemble or fix anything. Whenever I manage to do something right it’s cause for celebration. Fortunately, I have a network of “fixers” who help me out. Or I visit Tesla for help.

Tesla makes a consumer product, perhaps they should just make them better, like other car manufacturers?

Tesla is not alone in this regard. With (ironically), my Model S in for service right now having the half-shaft shudder issue addressed, I have been driving my wife's 14-month old Jaguar E-Pace. The Jaguar fit and finish is TERRIBLE. The paint/finish on the steering wheel buttons is rubbing away leaving very unsightly white plastic underneath, the infotainment system glitches out and will either lose the data connection or the radio will just fail to produce any sound at all randomly, and the auto start/stop system just quit working altogether.

Worst of all, when we took the car in for its mandatory annual service (and oil change), we were told that the car needed both sets of rear brakes replaced (on a car which had only 9,000 miles on it at the time) at a cost of almost $650. When pressed, the service manager agreed it was unusual and believed the initial pads provided by Jaguar were either of poor quality or defective. Still had to pay though because brakes are a wear item.

So quality issues are not unique to Tesla.

Tesla is not alone in this regard. With (ironically), my Model S in for service right now having the half-shaft shudder issue addressed, I have been driving my wife's 14-month old Jaguar E-Pace. The Jaguar fit and finish is TERRIBLE. The paint/finish on the steering wheel buttons is rubbing away leaving very unsightly white plastic underneath, the infotainment system glitches out and will either lose the data connection or the radio will just fail to produce any sound at all randomly, and the auto start/stop system just quit working altogether.

Worst of all, when we took the car in for its mandatory annual service (and oil change), we were told that the car needed both sets of rear brakes replaced (on a car which had only 9,000 miles on it at the time) at a cost of almost $650. When pressed, the service manager agreed it was unusual and believed the initial pads provided by Jaguar were either of poor quality or defective. Still had to pay though because brakes are a wear item.

So quality issues are not unique to Tesla.
Sure, compare Tesla quality to Jaguar and they are probably in the same ballpark, though at least Jag doesn't have a monopoly on repairs so they cannot demand $3,000 for a $10 emmc part failure on a $150 module, and you have to pay because the car is useless without a working MCU. When I was saying "other manufacturers", I meant ones like Toyota, Porsche, Acura, Honda or VW - I've owned cars from all those brands and other than scheduled services they lasted for years, with a single exception of one of the Toyota 12V battery going bad after 1.5 years.

I took delivery of a brand new RAVEN Model X. Thought it was in great shape, but when I got home there was a greasy smudge on the lower part of my drivers side door. Originally thought to cancel and return it, as I was within my 7 day period. Hated the thought of needing to take A BRAND NEW CAR back to the delivery center where thay should never had allowed it to be delivered in such a condition.

Then I cooled down and realized that I could call out a Ranger to attend to the smudge. IT is what they are paid to do, SO WHY NOT!

Then I took matters into my own hands. Reached for a bottle of spray cleaner and a soft cloth. It wiped right off. Left no trace, like it was never there.

Sorry, but I never really entertained bothering the ultra busy delivery center with something so trivial that I could easily handle myself....but that is just me.