Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know the hardware differences between the P3D and 3D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it comes to Tesla (Roadster, Model S, Model X, Model 3), 5 characters is not enough to accomplish the underlined task so that's already a lost cause no matter what document you're talking about.

As an example, when they stopped including the reinforced rear or the Model S when the kid seats were not ordered there was no updating the VIN encoding scheme to differentiate between the original reinforced chassis and the newer non-reinforced chassis.

US law said:
Passenger car: Make, line, series, body type, engine type, and all restraint devices and their location.

That's what the 5 letters have to describe for a passenger car.

Reinforcement of chassis wouldn't be relevant there I don't think.

And Tesla only needs ONE character (the 8th one for Teslas) to indicate motor config- for example Single motor or Dual motor.

Which is what they use. There is no special "performance dual motor" letter for the 3 VIN- though there is one for other tesla models.

Reinforcing the idea the actual motors are all the same.

Sure seems to fit under body type to me.

No, body type is defined in the law- it's like the literal type of overall body, not detailed composition of it.

US law said:
Body type means the general configuration or shape of a vehicle distinguished by such characteristics as the number of doors or windows, cargo-carrying features and the roofline (e.g., sedan, fastback, hatchback)

Sure seems to fit under body type to me.
Some definitions from the law:
(d) Engine type means a power source with defined characteristics such as fuel utilized, number of cylinders, displacement, and net brake horsepower. The specific manufacturer and make shall be represented if the engine powers a passenger car or a multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 4536 kg (10,000 lb) or less.

(b) Body type means the general configuration or shape of a vehicle distinguished by such characteristics as the number of doors or windows, cargo-carrying features and the roofline (e.g., sedan, fastback, hatchback).