Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know the serial number, or history of the "Tesla in Space"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, in advance, for any details you may be able to provide. It is way cool and I just heard about it.

Reason: I have a space flown aluminum cabinet (from space shuttle electronics) to house my collection of the watch model calibers worn by astronauts ...no roadster, yet!

Reactions: LeoNordic
Lore is that it was Elon's personal Roadster. It was used on the launch to provide weight necessary to compensate for future launches with a payload. Batteries may have been included if necessary to make the wieght.

Starman was added as an afterthought. He is a dummy with sensors and a representation of the space suit that future Space X Astronauts will wear.

It was perhaps one of the most inventive and effective marketing stunts ever pulled off. Symbolizes the plans of Space X to go to Mars...and beyond. Also tied together the close relationship between Space X and Tesla. Brilliant!

Not sure if Starman wore a watch or not :)

Elsewhere it was reported to have been the Roadster he got for his now ex-wife, so we're guessing that relationship is really over this time. I also strongly doubt the battery or anything else with any significant mass was left in the car. Given the launch dynamics, it would be a really bad idea to risk the mission on such a thing breaking loose. I expect all that was launched was the chassis, dashboard, outer shell, and wheels.

Elsewhere it was reported to have been the Roadster he got for his now ex-wife, so we're guessing that relationship is really over this time. I also strongly doubt the battery or anything else with any significant mass was left in the car. Given the launch dynamics, it would be a really bad idea to risk the mission on such a thing breaking loose. I expect all that was launched was the chassis, dashboard, outer shell, and wheels.

And lots of concrete to provide stable mass.

Lore is that it was Elon's personal Roadster. It was used on the launch to provide weight necessary to compensate for future launches with a payload. Batteries may have been included if necessary to make the wieght.

Starman was added as an afterthought. He is a dummy with sensors and a representation of the space suit that future Space X Astronauts will wear.

It was perhaps one of the most inventive and effective marketing stunts ever pulled off. Symbolizes the plans of Space X to go to Mars...and beyond. Also tied together the close relationship between Space X and Tesla. Brilliant!

Not sure if Starman wore a watch or not :)
Had I known beforehand, I'd have provided him with one... Thanks for the details!