Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know the UV specs on the new double-pane windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t necessarily need to darken my side windows, but I do need to minimize the UV exposure as much as possible (skin cancer runs in my family). I understand that the windshield, roof glass and rear window all provide 99% UV blockage, but I can’t find anywhere the specs for the new side windows.

If I understand correctly, the old windows only blocked about 44% UV. If anyone has updated information on the new double-panes, it woukd be much appreciated. Thanks!

normal glass absorbs nearly 99% of UV B rays. UV B causes sunburn and skin cancer but doesn't penetrate that deep and hence is absorbed by even normal glass. UV A rays is only absorbed by ~25% in untinted glass.... that being said while UV A rays will heat stuff up - they are the lowest energy (longest wave length) UV rays and primarily cause skin aging but are not cancer causing like UV B.

long story short - i wouldn't worry much about it and when in doubt where a long sleeve T shirt in the summer or use some sun lotion on your arms...

I don’t necessarily need to darken my side windows, but I do need to minimize the UV exposure as much as possible (skin cancer runs in my family). I understand that the windshield, roof glass and rear window all provide 99% UV blockage, but I can’t find anywhere the specs for the new side windows.

If I understand correctly, the old windows only blocked about 44% UV. If anyone has updated information on the new double-panes, it woukd be much appreciated. Thanks!
I would contact the mfr, Saint-Gobain.

OMG I was looking around the internet for a solution for your issue.. WOW i found it... its called TINT. Not sure if you've wandered onto the invention yet.
Why get tint if the new windows already block it? If that’s all they’re going for, then tinting without knowing if it’s necessary or not may be a waste of money.

Why get tint if the new windows already block it? If that’s all they’re going for, then tinting without knowing if it’s necessary or not may be a waste of money.

Exactly. Kind of disappointing to hear folks imply that I’m such an imbecile I don’t know what tint is, or that I should “not worry about it” and wear long sleeves and sunscreen instead.

I do that already, because as I’ve mentioned skin cancer is a serious problem in my family. I’ve lost two close relatives to it, and two others have had scarring surgeries. Forgive me for wanting real data about something that is, you know, actually kind of important.

Exactly. Kind of disappointing to hear folks imply that I’m such an imbecile I don’t know what tint is, or that I should “not worry about it” and wear long sleeves and sunscreen instead.

I do that already, because as I’ve mentioned skin cancer is a serious problem in my family. I’ve lost two close relatives to it, and two others have had scarring surgeries. Forgive me for wanting real data about something that is, you know, actually kind of important.

If its that serious, I think you should tint it just for peace of mind.

Reactions: Jejunjm
i most likely shall. As soon as I know how much and what kind of tint is already in the windows, so I can augment it accordingly if need be.

If I ever do find that data, I’ll post it here.

There was a chart somewhere here that compared different tints. From my very limited experience most even light tint block 99.9 UV and as mentioned the "heat" UV is different story. My wife go 3M ceramic light and it does an excellent job blocking UV and heat
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1161045O/3m-automotive-window-film-ceramic-series-brochure.pdf

Time to work on those critical reading skills. In your first link: xpel blocks 99% block of UV. Well doh! (regular old glass already blocks 99% ofUVB rays before the film is applied, the prime cancer causing one. And note, they don't say which UV is getting blocked, a or b or both?

UVB rays are responsible for producing sunburn. The UVB rays also play the greatest role in causing skin cancers, including the deadly black mole form of skin cancer (malignant melanoma).

Tinting companies are great at scaring folks into tinting windows. Tinting has several benefits, but saving one from cancer is not one of them.

Reactions: OUengineer
Nearly everyone here in Hawaii tints their cars since it's so damn hot and bright all the time. Really helps with the heat and allows your AC to cool much quicker. I used Formula One ceramic (35%) all around and have a clear Llumar Air 80 film on the windshield that reduces heat by 43% and UV by 99.9%.