TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does anyone know what these are?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by dlin, Jun 18, 2018.

1. dlin

dlin Member

Hey guys, just got my model 3 a couple days ago and have some quick questions. When I was checking the car a bit more closely when I got home, I noticed 4 small plastic rectangular caps/flaps that were open on the underside of the car (2 on each side). I took a pic of it and it looks like it had holes for screw. Are they bolted down for you guys? or I'm not the only one with empty holes? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Can you describe better where those are located ?

3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Jack points I think mine was open from delivery too

• Like x 1
  4. android04

android04 Member

Those are not the jack points. Those look like they are located at the rear of the car under the bumper and diffuser.

5. eSpiritIV

eSpiritIV Member

This is what the Jack stand points would look like

That would not be it, as it seems oval. a photo with better prospective would be nice to help us out

http://www.reverselogic.us/tesla.html

6. dlin

dlin Member

• Like x 1
  7. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I don't know, hopefully somebody else might, but if I had those I'd be at the Service center asking questions. The flanges make it seem that they are meant to have screws and be covered, to me at least. Of course i do not yet have a Model 3 and truthfully haven't a clue.

8. mekberg

mekberg Member

Those look exactly like holes filled by the 10mm flange bolts under the snap covers under the rear bumper/diffuser.

(I installed a hitch this past weekend)

Edit - I would go outside and snap a photo but my parking lot has a lot of standing water.

9. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

10. dlin

dlin Member

hi xpitxbullx, your image link gave a 404 not found error ;)

11. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

I get errors trying to upload images to this forum.

The picture is of a silver bolt located under the snap tabs located along the underside of the car.

12. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

I really wished someone could upload a picture that would show me exactly where the problem is so I can go check out my car and see if I have a similar issue.

13. chronopc

chronopc Active Member

Does anyone have a picture of the Model 3 underside?

14. dlin

dlin Member

@xpitxbullx that does sound like what I'm referring to
    @chronopc its the section where the jackstand points are. if you run your hand along that section you should feel the caps/flaps. I've circled them in the image link i posted

15. dlin

dlin Member

@oneshortguy that does look like what I'm talking about, and the ones i'm talking about is below the doors. From the video though, it does look like those have bolts in them. Wonder why when I picked my car up they were open and without any bolt. I also got the same missing clips in my rear wheel wells that others have mentioned

16. xpitxbullx

xpitxbullx Member

17. dlin

dlin Member

@xpitxbullx sure feels like the same thing. I'm going to talk to SC to see/try to get the missing clips/bolts. so far i don't see anything moving around so I guess that's a good thing :)

18. oneshortguy

oneshortguy Member

Similar assembly with the plastic tabs as well?

I deleted my original post because I thought it was irrelevant right after I posted.

For viewer reference, this is what I previously posted:

At 3:22, there are tabs in the rear bumper similar to photos posted on this thread.

19. dlin

dlin Member

@oneshortguy ya they feel like the same thing to hold the undercarriage plastic trim. I'm guessing the entire under side has many bolts because even though i see the missing bolts (not sure if they are done this way on purpose as i have no other m3s to compare with) the trim feels rigid and secure

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator