Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know what this screw size/part is that connects a wire from the top dash next to the top of the MCU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model S (pre-refreshed) and I took off my instrument panel/dash apart last week to replace my speakers/run new wires, etc.
I advertenly, I unscrewed this (see pix below) and lost the screw since I thought the wire connector (from the dash) to the MCU required unscrewing but then I realized (too late) that it requires me to pull hard since it's a got a spade style connector.
1662059645225.png

I have no idea if this connection/wire is important or not. My car drives fine.

I can't find this in the Tesla parts catalog or in any of their dash removal procedure mentions this conecctor at all. Any suggestion would be much appreciated. Thank you.

This is the closest thing that I can find in the parts catalog (not sure if's correct or not). If I knew what it (screw/connector/wire) was for, it would help with my search in teh parts/service manual. I looked under antennae section of the service manual and doesn't seem to be there.
1662059248936.png

Attachments

• 1662059304938.png
    1662059304938.png
    658.4 KB · Views: 59
That looks like the right part to me from the diagram, so I would assume the part number has the size in it: M3 screw that is 4 mm in length with a torx size 10 head.

I agree, seems like a ground wire to me since it is simply being connected to the metal frame and not another wire attached to it.

Here is a phillps head screw of that size that they sell at Home Depot:

You could just order the part from your service center and go pick it up since you have the part number too.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoomer0056
Is that a ground wire? Strange you see no errors.
No idea but the wire is from the upper dash and not sure what electrical components would be embedded in the dash.
Yes, no errors after I lost that screw. (I had a previous TMPS error that is still an ongoing issue with Tesla).
That looks like the right part to me from the diagram, so I would assume the part number has the size in it: M3 screw that is 4 mm in length with a torx size 10 head.

I agree, seems like a ground wire to me since it is simply being connected to the metal frame and not another wire attached to it.

Here is a phillps head screw of that size that they sell at Home Depot:

You could just order the part from your service center and go pick it up since you have the part number too.

Thank you so much !!!

I was going to drop by the Tesla service center since they never take phone calls or emails anymore as my last resort.
Home Depot is a bit closer (~5 mins) versus Tesla service center (~15 mins).