Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know when the 2015 Drive Unit warranty expires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the same thing at first, but read it again:

It says that the Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack. My Model S60 has an 8 year/125,000 mile warranty on the battery pack, so the drive unit warranty on my car was increased to match that. It also goes on to say that the Model S85 has an 8 year, infinite mile battery (and thus drive unit) warranty, but my car is not an S85.
the main subject is: Infinite-mile-warranty. "Infinite all Model S" I don't know how else you can argue that. you are giving in to tesla service, please escalate to the regional service manager it's a very tuff task getting their contact info but they have the authority to "good will" anything

This is an interesting coincidence. My drive unit just failed out of the blue on Thursday, minutes after I left my house. In my 2015 S85, manufactured in Mar 2015. Luckily mine was still covered (I'm only around 87k miles), but he also told me my drivetrain warranty remaining is till 3/11/23 or 150k miles. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but could it be an update bug or something?

Who told you your DU warranty is only good for 150K miles????

You can now see when your warranty expires in your Tesla account. Log in and navigate to manage your vehicle and click on details icon. Your warranty expiration dates for battery, drive train, general and road side assistance will then show up.

As more of these cars come off of warranty hopefully the aftermarket will step in and start making these motors and battery packs
there is independent shops that rebuild Drive Units for $3500-$4000 and battery repair shops you usually only need a few of the 16 cells replaced in battery I think they got the price down to $800 per cell.. im in california

Obviously, yes. Let's try again.

Early Model S cars were produced and delivered with a separate and specific warranty for the just the high voltage battery:
  • 8 years, infinite miles for 85kwh batteries
  • 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first, for 60kwh batteries
On August 15, 2014, Tesla extended those same warranty terms to the drive unit as well. The very first sentence in the blog post is illustrative: "The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack."

Meaning, specifically:
  • Cars with 85kwh batteries now have 8 year, infinite mile warranties on both the battery pack and the drive unit
  • Cars with 60kwh batteries now have 8 year or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first, warranties on both the battery pack and the drive unit.
The second sentence in the blog post further illustrates this by specifically referencing only the 85kwh battery: "That means the 85 kWh Model S, our most popular model by far, now has an 8 year, infinite mile warranty on both the battery pack and drive unit.

This warranty extension on the drive unit was indeed applied retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced - again, matching the terms that were originally applied to just the battery pack, which are different by model.
define the following sentence: Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced.. i don't know how you can interpret that in any other way WILL APPLY TO ALL MODEL S VEHICLES. just one word in that sentence ALL defines the whole statement.. the definition of the word all: Adjective. whole, entire, total, all mean including everything or everyone without exception. give me a different example how the word all could be used in differently in that statement.

define the following sentence: Moreover, the warranty extension will apply retroactively to all Model S vehicles ever produced.. i don't know how you can interpret that in any other way WILL APPLY TO ALL MODEL S VEHICLES. just one word in that sentence ALL defines the whole statement.. the definition of the word all: Adjective. whole, entire, total, all mean including everything or everyone without exception. give me a different example how the word all could be used in differently in that statement.
JFC I hope you don’t teach English or reading comprehension.

It WAS retroactively applied to all vehicles ever produced. “The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack."

The warranty extension for the drive unit - bringing it up to the same terms as the battery warranty - was retroactively applied to every Model S ever produced.

I really don’t know what you’re confused about.

• Funny
Reactions: AMPd
JFC I hope you don’t teach English or reading comprehension.

It WAS retroactively applied to all vehicles ever produced. “The Tesla Model S drive unit warranty has been increased to match that of the battery pack."

The warranty extension for the drive unit - bringing it up to the same terms as the battery warranty - was retroactively applied to every Model S ever produced.

I really don’t know what you’re confused about.
ok I don't have a 60kw anyways what was the warranty on the 40Kw? on the 70kw? Put all that a side Elon made that statement August 15 2014 at that time they had the 85kw and 60kw. in 2015 just 5 months later they introduced the 70kw and 90kw. I just purchased a March 2015 P85D from a person who purchased it through Tesla's CPO they told him 8 years 150kmi and was on his tesla account page but not under he car detail tab. I was not going to purchase it based on what he thought and what tesla tried to make him believe until I told him to click on the car details tab.. I serious think each region of service centers makes there own rules. i know for a fact a regional service manager has all the power to good will anything at his own discretion.
getting back to that infamous Elon Musk statement it just applied for the rest of that year? where is a statement by Elon retracting the INFINITE mile warranty on all Model S? when did the warranty periods change? just one day someone decided INFINITE is to big of a word to use for are batteries and DU they realized that no drive unit would last more then 90k miles the early P du lasted a average 40kmii. back in 2014 Elon was worth a very small fraction of what he's worth today. The way he spoke so highly of his cars could last 1million mi someday soon just like all his other promises very late on delivery but very fast taking pre-orders. the new plaid $150k 8years 150kmi WTF you would think 9 years into this the warranty would be 12years INFINITE miles

Last edited:
This is an interesting coincidence. My drive unit just failed out of the blue on Thursday, minutes after I left my house. In my 2015 S85, manufactured in Mar 2015. Luckily mine was still covered (I'm only around 87k miles), but he also told me my drivetrain warranty remaining is till 3/11/23 or 150k miles. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but could it be an update bug or something?
My 2015 70 DU also failed back at the end of Sept. luckily, I too was covered under the mileage limit. currently at 104K Miles but I do find it as an interesting coincidence.

you have unlimited mile warranty. on your tesla home page account dashboard manage car then click details it should tell you the warranty periods

Who told you your DU warranty is only good for 150K miles????

I guess it doesn't list any miles, just sadly I'll be out of time soon. Hopefully the replacement DU has a long life.

1638774058425.png

I just found a version of the “Vehicle Warranty” that I saved as a PDF in 2019. It says “The Battery and Drive Unit in your vehicle are covered for a period of: Model S and Model X - 8 years (with the exception of the original 60 kWh battery manufactured before 2015, which is covered for a period of 8 years or 125,000 miles, whichever comes first).”
Do you still have this pdf of the unlimited mileage warranty.

Suddenly on my Tesla app and account...magically now Tesla listed as 8yr 151,000 mile whichever came first.

Service center still show unlimited mileage...image below (a few weeks ago) still show unlimited mileage.

But suddenly it changed!!!!!

Attachments

• B942EB9D-89C9-438C-80F2-AC7E17ABDCF9.png
    B942EB9D-89C9-438C-80F2-AC7E17ABDCF9.png
    176.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 55798B19-8399-4882-B1A3-18128D926790.png
    55798B19-8399-4882-B1A3-18128D926790.png
    224.7 KB · Views: 45