Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone know when they started putting V3 batteries in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at a late 2016 90D model and i'm trying to figure out when they started putting in the V3 battery in it?...

Model 3, Y, and CyberTruck are rated for 250kW V3 Supercharging but I haven't heard any such plans for Model S and X.

I assume that Model S and X should too but there's no proof at the present.

The latest Raven S and X are rated as 200kW, not 250kW.

• Disagree
Reactions: ahhlun
Model 3, Y, and CyberTruck are rated for 250kW V3 Supercharging but I haven't heard any such plans for Model S and X.

I assume that Model S and X should too but there's no proof at the present.

The latest Raven S and X are rated as 200kW, not 250kW.

not V3 superchargers, version(revision) 3 of the battery unit, as the V1's were the ones with the high degradation issues

1063792-00-A: V1

1071394-00-A: V2

1088792-00-A: V3

These are the part numbers for the 3 versions of the 90kwh battery.

You can see these part #’s by looking behind the right front wheel just below the rear of the wheel well

thank you, this is helpful, though if i buy a used one from tesla ofcourse i can't check until the car arrives.. hummm

im also looking at this one 2017 Model S | Tesla

anyone have any opinions on this one?

Sep 17 build date on that one would tend it indicate it was among the last of the 90’s. The 100’s were out by that time. Good chance it would be the latest version of the battery - but no guarantee on that.

Personally, I would try to stretch and get a 100. They have been much better (so far). I have a 100d I bought new 11 months ago. It has 10k miles and has shown about 5 miles degradation so far.

Sep 17 build date on that one would tend it indicate it was among the last of the 90’s. The 100’s were out by that time. Good chance it would be the latest version of the battery - but no guarantee on that.

Personally, I would try to stretch and get a 100. They have been much better (so far). I have a 100d I bought new 11 months ago. It has 10k miles and has shown about 5 miles degradation so far.

$65k IS my stretch though, when i was in the market for a 50-55k one.. haha. running out of room to stretch..

I do understand. I won’t buy a car w/o doing a careful inspection and test drive first - neither of which Tesla will allow you to do. I’m probably too fussy but only about 1 in 10 used cars I look at would I consider buying. So the odds aren’t good for me with a CPO.

Maybe you are less particular and will be ok with what Tesla offers. That Chicago car has a dirty or stained cloth drivers seat and a rough looking cargo area. And if it’s spent 3 years in Chicago the body is not likely to be pristine.

This 90d near me still has a lot of CPO warrenty, looks really nice, and is $10k less than the Chicago car. And you could inspect and drive it first.
Model S / 2016 / Pearl White - d8bb6 | Only Used Tesla

edit: actually is $14k less.

disclaimer: I have no personal knowledge of the linked car nor it’s owner.

The price difference is due to my link has AP2.5 with sentry and all that jazz and is ready for Full self driving. That was always my requirement. After the cutoff, all the AP1 cars are like you say.. about $15k less.

Ahh.... The FSD dream. My experience with both AP 1 and 2 convinces me that FSD is way, way over the horizon. But your current $7k donation to Tesla for FSD might help insure that true level 5 is available by the time your young kids can drive. Or more likely, your grandkids.

He's talking about what this forum has colloquially called the the three major revisions of 90 batteries in thousands of messages over hundreds of threads.
Hmm, I hadn't seen that they switched to number revisions for the 90 batteries. I was thinking of the thousands of messages over hundreds of threads where they used references to version A, B, C, D, E versions of the 85 batteries, so I thought they always used letters for the battery versions.

Hmm, I hadn't seen that they switched to number revisions for the 90 batteries. I was thinking of the thousands of messages over hundreds of threads where they used references to version A, B, C, D, E versions of the 85 batteries, so I thought they always used letters for the battery versions.

Like I said thousands of messages in hundreds of forums.

You do know what coloquial means, right?

Ahh.... The FSD dream. My experience with both AP 1 and 2 convinces me that FSD is way, way over the horizon. But your current $7k donation to Tesla for FSD might help insure that true level 5 is available by the time your young kids can drive. Or more likely, your grandkids.

Yeah so the 90D I looked at I believe already has FSD paid for, otherwise the listing would say "Autopilot". If you look at ev-cpo it seems a car will either be marked as AP or EAP or FSD. I believe this was an FSD car paid for.

Anyways, for me I think theres more to it though.. AP2.5's autopilot is definitely getting more advanced by the day, where as I feel like AP1 has reached its limit, the navi screen is MUCH more responsive and faster, you get a nicer visualizer in the dash display which can see all around your car better, and the sentry mode and netflix and other toys is a nice bonus. all in all, that feels its worth $15k extra to me.. though I may just be spending money for pretty frivolous things considering both cars still have 4 wheels and can move.

So my personal experience with a 90 with the V1 chemistry indicates that not all V1 packs are terrible. My 90% has been a very consistent 251/250/249 depending on temperature, charging style, phase of mercury in the zodiac. I've had the car for 5000 miles (44k-50k) and 6 months. I have not actually seen the rated mileage but I believe that the early pre-facelift 90d had an EPA range of 288, so I've "lost" 11 miles (last time I charged to 100% it charged to 277 miles, but the last 1-2% take a really long time so more often I'll charge to 97%).

I think those more legitimately aggrieved by battery degradation are those who paid for the performance/ludicrous package -- they had less range to start with so losing more is especially painful.

And yes, 6 months isn't really enough time. Maybe a couple seasons from now or a gimping firmware update from now and I'll be more upset. That's the case for all of these cars, though.

I'd estimate that it would take a pretty substantial range loss to affect the way I use the car, but that recent supercharger rate decreases affect it much more and those limits seem to apply very broadly.

Last edited:
Most all of us spend money on frivolous things. I sure do to. If those features are important to you then it makes sense to pay for them.

I would just be careful with CPO cars - especially if you are particular about condition. I tend to put a high priority on finding an extremely well cared for used car; other folks are less demanding here. It’s almost impossible to judge overall condition from pictures and we’ve seen some disappointment from CPO buyers when the actual car is delivered.

Make sure you can reject the car without a significant cost if it is unacceptable to you.