Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

does anyone know where the fm antenna amplifier is?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
i (and others) have been trying to figure out a way to install satellite radio since we brought the car home...but the antenna plug on the actual fm radio unit seems to be proprietary. after the parts catalog was released, i noticed there was supposed to be an antenna amplifier somewhere that seemed (from the sketches) to have a standard antenna connection on it. this ebay listing (and corresponding picture) seem to confirm this, as this does appear to be a standard antenna connector (correct me if i'm wrong)...

so my question is: where is this tiny antenna adapter? would be nice to see if we can confirm that this is in fact a potential spot to hook up the fm direct adapter from siriusxm...as it could be used theoretically to add an aux in for anything really. any ideas? i know the fm unit is in the rear passenger c pillar, but i didn't see anyone comment that the amplifier was also there...the ebay listing says rear left side, but i don't want to go taking things apart until i'm sure where it is.

⭐ 2017 - 2018 TESLA MODEL 3 REAR LEFT SIDE ANTENNA AMPLIFIER FM RADIO MODULE OEM | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Hope you find where this part is located. I've been using bluetooth interface through my phone for XM Radio with USB audio input. There is whining noise sometimes. It's coming from the XM Radio picking up noise from the Tesla. It could just be the power line, which would also effect FM input. I haven't had time to trace it down yet.

quick bump...anyone have any ideas (or have seen it while taking the car apart for whatever reason)?

Five dollars you pay now! :)

Found the FM/HD radio unit

BTW, I'm not sure why you think there is an antenna amplifier. The tuner itself probably has RF amplifier built into the circuitry. I'd be pretty shocked if the car had a separate antenna amp. Those amplifiers are usually for rare circumstances or for radios that don't have a good front end system built into them already.

Last edited:
Five dollars you pay now! :)

Found the FM/HD radio unit

BTW, I'm not sure why you think there is an antenna amplifier. The tuner itself probably has RF amplifier built into the circuitry. I'd be pretty shocked if the car had a separate antenna amp. Those amplifiers are usually for rare circumstances or for radios that don't have a good front end system built into them already.

did you even read the post before commenting? lol...

go back and read my OP (and the second and third replies). you'll find out both why your thread link does me no good (i already know where the FM unit is and i said as much in my post) and the answer to why i think there's an antenna amplifier.

• Disagree
Reactions: Glamisduner
did you even read the post before commenting? lol...

go back and read my OP (and the second and third replies). you'll find out both why your thread link does me no good (i already know where the FM unit is and i said as much in my post) and the answer to why i think there's an antenna amplifier.
Well, if you find one let me know. I understand why you want to find it, but I don't think it exists. If there is one you'll have to find the antenna output from the rear glass then it should be between that that the tuner. Sorry, I wasn't very clear about that.

Last edited:
where, exactly? again, i know where the actual FM tuner is...i'm looking for the antenna amplifier.
Ahh I misread your post. I didn't know there was an antenna amplifier. The FM antennas only receives signals it does not transmit, so I'm guessing you mean your looking for a signal amplifier? Seems unusual to need to amplify the signal over such a short distance? I would imagine this would be part of the tuner module itself if it is amplifying the signal.

Ahh I misread your post. I didn't know there was an antenna amplifier. The FM antennas only receives signals it does not transmit, so I'm guessing you mean your looking for a signal amplifier? Seems unusual to need to amplify the signal over such a short distance? I would imagine this would be part of the tuner module itself if it is amplifying the signal.
Gee, I wonder who said that already... :)

for the love of god...i love how i post an ebay listing for the part, as well as a note in the OP that it's in the parts catalog, and yet i have two separate people arguing with me that it doesn't exist. gotta love the internet...

for the love of god...i love how i post an ebay listing for the part, as well as a note in the OP that it's in the parts catalog, and yet i have two separate people arguing with me that it doesn't exist. gotta love the internet...
Can you link us to the parts catalog showing a separate part for the FM module and amplifier?

lol you beat me to my post :)
can't get the links to work though :(

oh and I'm not arguing with you :D

Reactions: crackers8199
seriously? you seem awful sure of yourself that something doesn't exist when it's in the parts catalog and there is a part number for it, as well as ebay listings selling it...
Like you said the internet isn't always right. If I was a Tesla engineer that would be the one of the parts I'd get rid of as unnecessarily complicating assembly. I'd have the tuner changed to include an RF amplifier. I posted where to start looking if it exists. It's probably in the same door pillar as the tuner further down.

Like you said the internet isn't always right. If I was a Tesla engineer that would be the one of the parts I'd get rid of as unnecessarily complicating assembly. I'd have the tuner changed to include an RF amplifier. I posted where to start looking if it exists. It's probably in the same door pillar as the tuner further down.
Yep, typically they would be as close together as possible.