Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Anyone Like Their Model S More Than Their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly can't decide. There are things I like about both. I have yet to drive one and then immediately get in and drive the other. I think that is what I'm going to have to do to make a final decision. The M3 has grown on me over time.

I've deliberately done LOTS of informal "A-B" testing, driving Model 3 one day, Model S the next, or Model 3 for part of one day and Model S the rest.

My preference is clear ...

... whichever car I'm currently driving.

Both are such terrific cars that I always think "Yes, this is my choice."

Love Model 3's smaller steering wheel, tighter handling, general in-command feel, cleaner interior, faster MCU, better air vents, (much) better headlights, better range (de facto 335 vs. 265 in my 37K-mile 85D), door pockets, foblessness ... and new car smell.

Love Model S's bigger screen, simpler AP controls, smoother, quieter ride, non-consoled center space, and cavernous capacity.

For me, decision may come down to $$$. I'm an educator ... not wealthy. S85D was worth $100K when there was nothing else like it out there.

Now, however, with rebate/credit help, I can easily turn my 2015 S85D into a brand new, zero-mile, optioned-out 2018 AWD M3 with de facto 70 mile longer range ... at zero cost.

Trading up to a new 110D, even if available before tax credit phase-out begins, would cost me at least $50K net. (In LA County, our near-10% sales tax would wipe out the entire $10K fed/state subsidies.)

Last edited:
Reactions: jbcarioca
So far the standout thing about my 3 is the ease of entry and exit: for someone my size (a 6'2" widebody) the S is hard to get in and out of, primarily due to the low roofline . The 3 is much easier to negotiate.

But the S/X user interface to TACC/Autosteer is much better: it's all on the stalk rather than a combination of the stalk and touch screen actions. And I haven't found a driving position in the 3 that doesn't give me a sore lower back, no how much fiddling I do with the seat controls.

That said, I think the 3 is both better than I expected and everything Tesla needs it to be (assuming they do eventually start delivering a bare-bones SR version at $35K), and it's a lot of fun to drive.

Interesting to hear you mention the lower back. I've encountered that, too, and I'm at the exact opposite end of the height spectrum (5' 0").

Has anyone else noticed that the M3 lumber support feels "pointier" ... less spread out ... than the Model S next-gen version?

Reactions: JenniferQ
Interesting to hear you mention the lower back. I've encountered that, too, and I'm at the exact opposite end of the height spectrum (5' 0").

Has anyone else noticed that the M3 lumber support feels "pointier" ... less spread out ... than the Model S next-gen version?

Hmmm, I actually got to sit in the Model 3 on display here in Southlake, TX (the only one on display in Texas...at least as of a week ago). Everyone was waiting in line and we got two minutes in the car. I immediately noticed the pain in my lower back as the lumbar was "stabbing me". In instinctively reached for the lumbar deflate button on the side of the seat and deflated it all the way, but I STILL FELT THE PRESSURE there. I mean it was bugging me the whole time I was in the car. I noted it as a "pay attention to this the next time you are in the car as you know it will bug you forever if you get one of these!" kind of thing.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
How has the Model S resale market
Hmmm, I actually got to sit in the Model 3 on display here in Southlake, TX (the only one on display in Texas...at least as of a week ago).

Nope. ;)
Everyone was waiting in line and we got two minutes in the car. I immediately noticed the pain in my lower back as the lumbar was "stabbing me". In instinctively reached for the lumbar deflate button on the side of the seat and deflated it all the way, but I STILL FELT THE PRESSURE there. I mean it was bugging me the whole time I was in the car. I noted it as a "pay attention to this the next time you are in the car as you know it will bug you forever if you get one of these!" kind of thing.

I don't know if it's how they had it set up on the floor but when I immediately walked over to their Model S I was struck, figuratively and literally, by how the Model S's B pillar wanted to shoulder check me while getting in and out. Plus how I felt I was climbing into the S compared to just entering the 3.

I've seen that before when changing cars, how we've got to retrain our posture and muscles that have gotten used to prior vehicles. So it might be a short-term thing, and neither of our observances would hold up over time.

The entry/exit mode settings in the S really help with the experience of climbing in/out of the car. The 3 is set up nicer by default however. I blamed the 3's seats on new style Tesla. The old Tesla seats (pre-2014?) were less wrap-around.

Both cars are fine, I just think the S is more luxurious.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The entry/exit mode settings in the S really help with the experience of climbing in/out of the car.

This is reasonable alternative explanation to cover a lot of why I hadn't noticed when I test drove a Model S before. That was with a "live" version of the car rather than something sitting there in floor mode. I had assumed me noticing it now and not then was only because I was comparing one directly after the other, within a few minutes.

So after reading all your comments the biggest driving complaint is the hash ride on the Model 3. Once the all wheel drive m3 with air suspension comes out it should be superior then the model 3 in driving feel/fun. However it will still lag the model S in control convenience. Regarding control convenience the model 3 is at the bottom of the list compared to similar priced cars. This is something Tesla can get away with for now but not in 4-5 years. (referring to no HUB, wiper and Cruze control lever being the worst offenders)

@AUSinator If the takeaway you got from the thread was that the M3 has a harsh ride your preconceived bias got in the way of your reading. I have a Model S without air suspension and a M3. The M3 ride is sportier and more nimble but far from harsh. After driving it for a week I'm not sure I even notice the difference anymore. As to the controls on the M3 they are again; just different. To this point, there is no other comparably priced car on the market period. Every car out there makes a compromise somewhere. If you put the M3 at the bottom of the list then don't buy one. For me, I'm very happy with the purchase.

I lean towards the S, but not by much. I prefer the touchscreen in the S. The information is easier to find. For some things on the Model 3 you have to dial down a couple of layers to change a setting. I also prefer the energy usage to be displayed rather than being buried. Perhaps a software fix can correct that for the 3.

Both cars handle quite superbly, and I like the steering wheel of the 3 over the S. The sound is much better in the 3. I prefer the charge port on the S over the 3.

I have yet to take a long road trip in the 3, so cannot compare the comfort. However, the two times that I did Supercharge, the speed was awful (32kW @ 22%). If that is going to be the norm for us, then the S will be much preferable for road trips.

I still prefer the S. Reasons:

- better door handles
- free supercharging
- vertical split screen more useful than horizontal single screen
- S open center cubby significantly more useful than M3 center console
- powered trunk
- storage space
- calendar integration
- M3 phone key still not 100% reliable
- S rear camera better than 3
- I really like the trip meter for usage since last charge/drive. It's on my S dash but less easy to see on the 3.
- ditto for turn by turn directions
- S more comfortable going over speedbumps

For longer roadtrips, we're still taking the S, no doubt.

My wife just ordered a new MB where you have 6,578 or so options at anywhere between 30 and 5,000 EUR, so let's try to split this up:

- better door handles : +200
- free supercharging +2500
- vertical split screen more useful than horizontal single screen +700
- S open center cubby significantly more useful than M3 center console +250
- powered trunk +150
- storage space +2000 (totally arbitrary figure of course, but in any case a roof box costs a lot less)
- calendar integration +100
- M3 phone key still not 100% reliable +50
- S rear camera better than 3 +100
- I really like the trip meter for usage since last charge/drive. It's on my S dash but less easy to see on the 3. +50
- ditto for turn by turn directions +50
- S more comfortable going over speedbumps +1500 (air)
- "D" (MS has that in any current version and M3 does not): +5000

So we're looking at MS100D (same range as M3LR) "worth" 12,650 more than M3LR. YMMV :)

I lean towards the S, but not by much. I prefer the touchscreen in the S. The information is easier to find. For some things on the Model 3 you have to dial down a couple of layers to change a setting. I also prefer the energy usage to be displayed rather than being buried. Perhaps a software fix can correct that for the 3.

Both cars handle quite superbly, and I like the steering wheel of the 3 over the S. The sound is much better in the 3. I prefer the charge port on the S over the 3.

I have yet to take a long road trip in the 3, so cannot compare the comfort. However, the two times that I did Supercharge, the speed was awful (32kW @ 22%). If that is going to be the norm for us, then the S will be much preferable for road trips.

Don't worry about the Supercharging. I've gotten same charge power (kW) which translated into faster charging (more miles added per hour) because the 3 gets more miles out of every kWh.

• Helpful
Reactions: nico180
Don't worry about the Supercharging. I've gotten same charge power (kW) which translated into faster charging (more miles added per hour) because the 3 gets more miles out of every kWh.

I'm still wondering why some people have reported they see up to 100kW or so when supercharging their 3; during my sole experience with supercharging my 3 the charge rate ramped quickly up to 18kW, plateaued, and then (slowly) climbed to 21kW over the next half hour. Then I lost patience and unplugged. I'll report back when I have a chance to try it again, maybe on a warmer day. But the Tesla support tech I talked to pulled data from my car while I was plugged in, and the battery pack reported an internal temperature of 20º C.

I'm still wondering why some people have reported they see up to 100kW or so when supercharging their 3; during my sole experience with supercharging my 3 the charge rate ramped quickly up to 18kW, plateaued, and then (slowly) climbed to 21kW over the next half hour. Then I lost patience and unplugged. I'll report back when I have a chance to try it again, maybe on a warmer day. But the Tesla support tech I talked to pulled data from my car while I was plugged in, and the battery pack reported an internal temperature of 20º C.

I have only done one real supercharge since I set up Nikola app, but here's the data

Attachments

• IMG_576AB90DFB1E-1.jpeg
    IMG_576AB90DFB1E-1.jpeg
    126 KB · Views: 75
Other than the cost and range, overall I feel S is still superior car.

Design of Model S looks much better in my opinion and I love the FREE SUPERCHARGING for both of my cars.

If you only look at the cost and the range, Model 3 is far better. It is amazing that Model 3 could pull 334 miles and is rumored(or maybe true) to lower the range to 310 miles. That alone beats Model S100D and its price. I am contemplating but leaning toward purchasing Model 3 before the $7500 tax credit runs out.