Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Anyone Like Their Model S More Than Their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We don't get the M3 in the UK until at least mid 2019 (probably late 2019 to early 2020) so I prefer my Model S right now....

Trying to look at it rationally the Model 3 seems much better value for money. The extra $30-40k or so for the S seems a lot for the minor niggles people are pointing out.

I own a 2017 Model S 75 and just took delivery of my 2018 Model 3 Long Range, the first delivery of a M3 at the Jacksonville Fl SC. After a few days I may be in the minority here but I like the Model 3 much more than my S. I know some people are thinking keep waiting for get a used S or whatever and I watched all the youtube videos I could find before I finally got my car. Hopefully this will help someone with their decision.

S VS 3
The frunk is much smaller in the 3 but the trunk is basically the same size.

I actually like the handles better in the 3. Once you get the two finger approach down it works much faster as your don't have to wait for the handles to come out. It sounds silly, but my fob often only got detected right against the door so I often had to wait for the handles.

The glass roof is so dark in the S I often forget its actually glass, the model 3 uses a different tint so it is much lighter and almost looks a tad greenish from inside the car.

The phone app works really well. Hopefully Model S will add that as an option at some point

The seats are way sportier and more grippy in the Model S, I don't really like the Model 3 seats that much

The air blade system is honestly incredible. I would be shocked if they don't add that the the next S/X refresh. It is so intuitive, and blows a much greater volume of air than the model s while being a lot quieter. This is one of the best parts of the car.

By far the biggest difference is the screen, although smaller and only one the Model 3 display is MUCH sharper, faster, brighter, and clearer. The pinch to zoom on the maps and sliding the cards on the driver side is leaps and bounds better than the Model S display.

The Model 3 feels much tighter and better built. This is obviously a personal thing just like all my comments here but the best way I can describe is its close to a Porsche or BMW (I've owned multiple of both). The panels, and interior trim pieces are much tigher and feel more solid than my S. HUGE improvement.

Because of the changes in the batteries, the Model 3 charges faster. While not actually faster, because the car is more efficient it gets more range per hour. For example at home using the UMC I get 29 mph on my S and 37 on my 3. Using the charge point at school its 18 vs 24 (level 2)

Steering wheel is smaller and thicker rimmed so gives the car a sportier feel.

Charge port door sucks on the Model 3 and I don't like the tiny light, the larger LED surrounding the Model S charger is nicer and easier to see. I'm guessing that was a cost thing.

Anyways, just some observations after a few days with both! :)

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 66
Each car has pros and cons for me and I'm comparing an older early 2014 S no AP to a new 3.

The S is bigger, more capacity and roomier for 5 adults. I don't think 5 adults can sit in the 3 comfortably, especially since I sit far back as a driver.
4 golf bags vs 2.5 golf bags
I actually miss being able to load waze on the S web browser.
If I need to find a parking spot, the 3 is better.
S seems to be quieter and smoother ride then the 3.
I actually like the bigger thicker steering wheel of the S.
I like split screen on the S, and I like having the turn by turn directions on the S. The 3 nav guidance is still weird.
Don't realize how much you miss having an auto-open and auto-close trunk/hatchback till you don't have it.

Just some things I like about the S greater then the 3. Now, not sure all those items are worth 30k+ more...

You own(ed) both? What are the three biggest deciding factors in your preference for the three, even if they were the same price?

Never owned a Model S but have quite a lot of experience with them, around 2000 miles or so of driving one.

Size is the #1 factor, I really just don't need such a big car, nor do I want one.

Second is that the interior on the 3 is more usable and comfortable for me, which is complicated to explain but here are some examples: Armrest design in the 3 is more comfortable and more logical, and the center console storage is better. I *really* do not like the interior door handles or pulls on the S. The 3's interior feels less cramped because the roof starts higher relative to the glass, the console is more open, and the steering wheel is smaller. Interior switchgear (levers, steering wheel controls) also feel much nicer on the 3, though the lack of a dedicated stalk for Autopilot is annoying. All that plus the 3 gets usable sun visors, door pockets, seatback pockets, and coat hooks, all of which I'll use.

Third is that the Model 3 is just flat out more fun to drive. I wish it had more power but it's more enjoyable nonetheless, at least in my opinion.

One thing I couldn't know until I got mine though is that the 3 also just feels better built.

I did a decent writeup here with more detail:

[Update] My Model 3 is now in for its first service, but the real story is comparing with the loaner. • r/RealTesla

S VS 3

I actually like the handles better in the 3. Once you get the two finger approach down it works much faster as your don't have to wait for the handles to come out.

The glass roof is so dark in the S I often forget its actually glass, the model 3 uses a different tint so it is much lighter and almost looks a tad greenish from inside the car.

The phone app works really well. Hopefully Model S will add that as an option at some point.

The air blade system is honestly incredible. I would be shocked if they don't add that the the next S/X refresh. It is so intuitive, and blows a much greater volume of air than the model s while being a lot quieter. This is one of the best parts of the car.
I agree with all of your assesments above.

The handles were widely complained about but in real life are a non issue.

On the glass tinting, it is almost a rose color on the outside. I had mine opti coated and with the rose colored raindrops beaded on the roof it’s a very cool optic.

Again, although widely panned in early posts I love using the app as a key. I find myself pondering if I even need to bring my keys when I leave the house and hope this becomes the standard going forward. The key card is a nice backup but the app is as convenient as it gets. My app has worked 100% of the time since I took delivery.

This is the best air system on any car I’ve ever owned. Car heats and cools noticeably quicker than in the “S”. Although it moves a lot of air there is very little noise and virtually no draftiness.

• Love
Reactions: waflocka
Indeed no Model 3's here in the UK. But from all I've seen - its just not very attractive to me. Perhaps I need to get used to seeing one in person (only a brief view during a home visit stateside), but its a little too "Leaf" for me.

OTOH the MS remains a very good looking sedan/saloon car.

So in conclusion - I look forward to the next gen MS - long a wait though that might be.

Again, although widely panned in early posts I love using the app as a key. I find myself pondering if I even need to bring my keys when I leave the house and hope this becomes the standard going forward. The key card is a nice backup but the app is as convenient as it gets. My app has worked 100% of the time since I took delivery.

Don’t leave your key card at home: more than once I’ve had to use the key card to drive even though the phone app unlocks the car normally. Once seated I attempt to put it in gear and the display tells me to place the key card behind the Center console cup holders.

I own an S, and my wife the 3.

Hers is fun to play with the autopilot functions, but as I am 6’3” and built like an offensive lineman, the 3 is too narrow to be completely comfortable.

The 3 is a little easier around town, but the S is more comfortable.

The interior finishes on the 3 are better thought out then on the original S, although an aftermarket center console for the S fixes most of this. The dashboard displays and thumb controls work a little better in the S.

The 2013’s cruise stick works better than changing speed with the pad. The 3’s sporty suspension can make hitting the little + a bit of a challenge.

With the autopilot disabling itself even with my wife’s hands on the wheel within the first hour of a 5 hour road trip, another reason to drive the 3 over the S is diminished. That said, unless you need a larger car, you probably want the 3. I will be buying an S when it is time to retire my current S. Hopefully by then self’s-driving is fully implemented.