Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Anyone Like Their Model S More Than Their Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Haha, yes my wife likes the Model S more than the Model 3 however she has only driven it (M3) a few times. After having trouble with the key card and phone as key, she gave up on it.

My opinion, the Model S is a great car and I love the hell out of it, but Model 3 is more fun to drive.

Model S air suspension and powered lift gate are what I miss mostly. Road noise is also something I wash was quieter on Model 3.

Model 3 is more fun to drive but for hauling people with babies strollers and car seats etc and doing diapers on the parcel shelf in the rear the S wins.
^^ This. The Model 3 is a sporty vehicle and I love the adaptive cruise with lane holding (AKA 'Autopilot'). But the S is a lovely cruising vehicle with better acceleration and fantastic handling. It is big but so comfy. I drove my wife's 3 for a couple weeks, now have my S back.
Different cars, but I think the S is just nicer experience overall.

Model S air suspension and powered lift gate are what I miss mostly. Road noise is also something I wash was quieter on Model 3.

Model 3 is more fun to drive but for hauling people with babies strollers and car seats etc and doing diapers on the parcel shelf in the rear the S wins.

Which wheels do you have on the 3 and S? I did back to back instrumented testing today and found the Model 3 to be somewhat quieter, though I didn't think to note the frequencies in play.

• Informative
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Seems to me like the car that broke Consumer Reports' rating system is getting it's ass handed to it by the Model 3. I have yet to hear anyone say they prefer their Model S over their Model 3. Should I sell now before my car is worth less than the new best car ever?

If it's just me in the car then I'll usually choose the Model 3 because it's so much fun to drive, the sound system is superb, and the glass roof is stunning.

But things got a little cramped in the Model 3 when my wife, our three-year-old, our one-year-old went, and his folding stroller went on an epic shopping trip to target. And when we recently drove to our vacation house in Mariposa with the kids and our two dogs, it wasn't really a tough choice to take the Model S because the folding stroller fits in the wonderful 2013 Model S frunk with room to spare and the two dogs are quite comfortable in the hatch back cargo area.

When I need to use the navigation system I also prefer having the turn-by-turn instructions shown on the screen right in front of me instead of having them shown on the passenger's side of the center screen in the Model 3. I can also tell the Model S has a bit more horsepower when I'm driving with the flow of traffic on California freeways.

But our Model S is almost five years old and we bought it when we didn't have any kids and only one dog. So I imagine the Model S will get swapped for either a Model X or a Model Y once the 8-year battery and drive unit warranty is up on the Model S. I expect the Model 3 will remain my wife's commuting vehicle at least until the carpool sticker expires.

• Love
Reactions: jbcarioca and Ulmo
I've driven the 3 a bit less than 100 miles so far so it could grow on me. I significantly prefer my S. The 3 is smaller, so easier to park but I much prefer the ride of the S's air suspension, the energy displays in the dash screen, the turn signal, the wiper control and the cruise control knob. Surprisingly, the S also has a better view out the rear window and much better side mirrors.

I still prefer the S. Reasons:

- better door handles
- free supercharging
- vertical split screen more useful than horizontal single screen
- S open center cubby significantly more useful than M3 center console
- powered trunk
- storage space
- calendar integration
- M3 phone key still not 100% reliable
- S rear camera better than 3
- I really like the trip meter for usage since last charge/drive. It's on my S dash but less easy to see on the 3.
- ditto for turn by turn directions
- S more comfortable going over speedbumps

For longer roadtrips, we're still taking the S, no doubt.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911 and Ken7
I honestly can't decide. There are things I like about both. I have yet to drive one and then immediately get in and drive the other. I think that is what I'm going to have to do to make a final decision. The M3 has grown on me over time.

I still prefer Model S' leg room, autopilot 1.0, powerlift gate and suspension, the raid on Model 3 is pretty rough. For a everyday drive car I prefer comfortable than bump.

So far the standout thing about my 3 is the ease of entry and exit: for someone my size (a 6'2" widebody) the S is hard to get in and out of, primarily due to the low roofline . The 3 is much easier to negotiate.

But the S/X user interface to TACC/Autosteer is much better: it's all on the stalk rather than a combination of the stalk and touch screen actions. And I haven't found a driving position in the 3 that doesn't give me a sore lower back, no how much fiddling I do with the seat controls.

That said, I think the 3 is both better than I expected and everything Tesla needs it to be (assuming they do eventually start delivering a bare-bones SR version at $35K), and it's a lot of fun to drive.