Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone NOT have a second (ICE) car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another two-BEV family here; for the last year and a half we have had a Model S and Roadster.

Before the Model S, we spent 3 years with a Roadster and a RAV4-EV.

I do a couple of long road trips every year. We only had to rent a gas car when we went to Hawaii.

IMG_0499.JPG

Second car in the garage. Once upon a time I commuted in it daily, but that was a long time ago. Now it's a weekend car. The MS is my only real source of transportation.

I currently have a rez for a MX which will replace my Toyota SUV. Currently we have a second car, but due to some life changes, I will no longer have the second car available. Does anyone have only an EV? What do you do if you have a day trip where round trip is over ~240 miles and there are no charging stations en route?
I have only my model S85 and we used it to make 8 round trips (approximately 750 miles one way) between Arkansas and NW Wisconsin since March 2013. Some of those trips via I-35 were in very cold weather and there weren’t any superchargers.
We recently returned from a trip to Phoenix via I-40 (about 2400 miles) and there weren’t any superchargers until we got to Gallup, NM and Holbrook, AZ. Tesla owners in OK City, public park with NEMA 14-50 in Elk City, OK, B&B owner with NEMA 14-50 in Amarillo, RV Park in Tucumcari and Tesla owner in Albuquerque made the trip doable.
If there is a will there is a way.
We, a senior couple, agreed when we purchased the S that we were going to be pioneers until superchargers were everywhere. We sold our 2011 Lexus RX Hybrid and haven't had any regrets.

My .02 I live in NYC and only own a mS60. If you are going to be an EV only household (regardless of # cars) you are signing up for a bit of an adventure. You will have to plan around charging at some point.

If you're up for the adventure, the mS is a blast to own and drive.

If you're going to fret about spending the extra time on this stuff, stick with an ICE.

Yes, we still have an ICE (minivan). Here's how we do it. The MS is the daily driver. However, if both of us have to go to separate destinations or routes at the same time, the one with the longer route takes the MS. This helps keep the ICE from the deterioration of non-use while keeping down its maintenance costs (1 fill-up every 6-7 weeks). The only other times the minivan gets used is on our trips between NE Florida and Chicago - about 2-4 round trips a year. Or if we have to haul mulch or cow manure or other messy garden stuff (no way, Jose). We would like to use the MS for the Chicago trips also but unfortunately, the SC rollout schedule shows no significant progress along my favorite route until late 2015 or maybe even 2016, and we are too lazy to consider the hassle of looking for public chargers (mea culpa).

Swap "Camry Hybrid" for "minivan" and you've described our family.

My wife has a one-year-old Honda CR-V. Ironically its 12V battery has died and needed a jump-start *twice* since I bought the Model S. After the second time, she looked at me and said something like, "maybe my next car should be all-electric so I won't have this problem." :)

Had a Volvo V50 before I changed to Model S. Have sold it about 2 month after delivery.

Drove it once after 4 weeks I used solely my Model S. During shopping I suddenly searched my carkey and finally found it still plugged in the open car on the parking... You really get used to the convenience of the Model S.