Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone recall M3P vs LR AWD used car prices before the shortage? Trying to decide between the two for a new order.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've ordered a LR AWD in August, and while I haven't received a VIN yet, the delivery date shows September 15-30. I went with the LR AWD because I had initially felt that the Performance wasn't worth it because I'll be changing out the wheels and spoiler anyways. However I'm doing the math again, and I think it's going to be closer than I thought, especially since I plan on buying the acceleration boost.

LR AWD: $50,000
-$1500 (selling stock wheels and tires)
+$2000 acceleration boost
= $50,500

M3P: $57,000
-$2,500 (selling stock wheels and tires)
-$200 (selling stock spoiler)
= $53,800

So the difference is $3300 for a faster Model 3, with better brakes, and track mode. Now I don't plan on tracking the car anytime soon, it might be in the cards when the car is a bit older, and I can stomach the possibility of losing it on the track. What would swing me to the M3P would be if resale values are favorable. I don't expect the performance to pull a premium well above a LR AWD, but in many other cars, there is a huge diminishing return with higher trims of the same model. It's hard to tell now because prices are just so darn high due to supply chain shortages. Does anyone have data from before the current shortage?

I am actually in a similar boat. I had a 2020 SR+ that I was able to sell for more than I paid for it new (as a Tesla demo) a year and 24k miles ago. I did the same initial math as you and had initially ordered a LR AWD (at current pricing) as a replacement with the plan to immediately add the boost. I just recently changed my order to a Performance.

At the beginning of the year the Performance was $9k more than the LR AWD, but now the pricing delta is $7k due to the disproportionate price increases to the LR AWD. Factoring in the boost purchase, the pricing delta drops to $5k. One thing to keep in mind for resale value is that the acceleration boost will not increase resale value/trade value - the only premium you might get is via private party from someone willing to may marginally more for it. Most car buying sites/places do not even have "acceleration boost" on their car feature checklists, so this is really a sunk cost.

So for $5k more, you are getting ~$2,500+ worth of rims/tires, an ~$800 (retail) spoiler, track mode, bigger brakes, different suspension setup, and a quicker car. At these pricing levels the Performance is an easy sell for me, even though I will never be tracking the car or using it for its intended purpose. I likely would have just gone with the LR AWD had pricing remained the same as beginning of year. I also think the LR AWD at this point makes most economic sense for those that will not be opting for the boost upgrade.

In terms of what I remember of pricing trends between used Performance and LR AWD models, the Performance models with all else equal (miles, condition, etc) tending to be selling for around $3-6k more (if hunting and knowing how to find the best deal). So at current price levels, one should be able to get back around what premium is paid for the performance upon resale (again, this factors in the boost upgrade as a sunk cost).

As evidenced above, one can clearly self-justify the decision to go for the P haha.

Reactions: JohnnyMa
Is it difficult to find buyers for new Performance wheels/tires? One of the first things I'd do is swap them for 19s with all weather tires.

I sold mine before I even took delivery of the car, though I didn't get what the OP has listed. I'm sure there is a market, but the roads around here when I got mine were pretty much a non-starter, They have since done a lot of work on them, and I oculd probably get away wth them. But just anecdotally, yes there is a market, but no, not for that much.

Not sure where you live but if you live where it snows or gets cold you will want a second set of rims and tires for winter. I bought a set for mine. The car is awesome though don't regret getting the performance one bit.

Is it difficult to find buyers for new Performance wheels/tires? One of the first things I'd do is swap them for 19s with all weather tires.
Curious what everyone is swapping the rims to?

I'm reading in the Model Y Performance threads and a lot of them are trying to get rid of the 21" Uberturbine's with prices ranging from $1500 (rims only) to $2800 (with rims & tires). I like the TSportline rims but they cost almost as much as the Tesla rims....

I sold my M3P uberturbines to one of the sales guys at the Tesla store. Total purchase price was 2500$ plus 50 for delivery an hour away. I paid 2350 after rebates for a set of wheels, tires and TPMS sensors from Tire Rack and did the swap in my driveway.

I have been watching for sale ads on TMC for a while. Price and demand seem to be area specific. In markets with a lot of cars on the ground prices seem to be cheaper and there seems to be less demand. They also seem to be going for less as time goes on. Be prepared to accept less than you think they will be worth and wait for a while if you are not willing to ship them.

I'm late, but I bought my M3P in Feb 2020 before all the nonsense 7months used with 11000 miles. it was 49500 I believe and they had to take it off the internet because it was getting so much interest. I was first so got it and they dropped it 500 and remarked they thought they underpriced it. Personally I think I still paid too much, but prices at the time were easily 2000 dollars more.

Reactions: gundam83
I forgot about this thread - I ended up taking delivery of my M3P two weeks ago. Zero regrets on the decision to switch my order from the LR to the P. I have already scrapped my plans to sell the 20" rims ha - just like the look of the car too much with them on (have the MSM exterior and love the way the wheels look against it) and I also think the ride quality is even better than my outgoing 2020 SR+ that had the 19" sport tires.

gundam83 - curious if you've done the same and also to get your thoughts!

I forgot about this thread - I ended up taking delivery of my M3P two weeks ago. Zero regrets on the decision to switch my order from the LR to the P. I have already scrapped my plans to sell the 20" rims ha - just like the look of the car too much with them on (have the MSM exterior and love the way the wheels look against it) and I also think the ride quality is even better than my outgoing 2020 SR+ that had the 19" sport tires.

gundam83 - curious if you've done the same and also to get your thoughts!
I changed to the performance but have not taken delivery. I delayed my order because I need to make some space in my garage, so I have not taken delivery yet. Good to know about the ride quality, as I was pretty sure that I was going to get aftermarket 19s, but may just stick with 20s if there isn't too much of a difference