Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone think it makes any difference…………….

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand how this would matter. If a buyer is choosing between two Teslas, the model year would be "apples to apples" and provide accurate information. If choosing between a Tesla and some other brand, the differences between the cars themselves is far greater than the difference between model years. Would any real person choose to buy a 2016 Audi over a 2015 Tesla based solely on the number "2016?"

I think the model year shenanigans of ICE brands is important to low-information buyers and I'm not concerned about them. If Tesla's approach helps people realize how dumb they've been about model years, I'm all for it.

No, not all..

Nothing makes any difference.

We all die in the end.

But, seriously I think it matters in the eyes of someone buying it because that's what they've been conditioned to. Hopefully Tesla and other cars that follow can help move people away from that when it comes to cars. Especially now days that cars are half computers. Maybe it will start to become like a mac when you refer to it based on revision dates like Mid 2015.

I think this is an awesome car that I plan to keep long term, and not jump from one to another frequently. With that, I hope that the official production year will only matter for things like insurance and registration. With that, I am happy that my car, which is to be produced end of November, will be officially a 2015 model, not 2015. This will add up to a cheaper insurance and registration in 2016, I expect.

I think this is an awesome car that I plan to keep long term, and not jump from one to another frequently. With that, I hope that the official production year will only matter for things like insurance and registration. With that, I am happy that my car, which is to be produced end of November, will be officially a 2015 model, not 2015. This will add up to a cheaper insurance and registration in 2016, I expect.

And for you $10k in CA rebate and Federal incentive.

When bought my Tesla in 10/14, I was happy delivery was pushed into 2015 for that reason. Has anyone looked at the depreciation by model year on these as used ones tend to be selling at high prices considering the tax rebates.

I thought build date in month/year was the only approximate indicator of available features?
So, "pre-09/2014" rather than just 2014.
Knowing when the car rolled off the line is much more important that when it was first registered.

Not if the used car buyer knows anything about Tesla, and it's unlikely someone would buy a used Tesla without doing a lot of research first.

Tesla doesn't do model years. Get over it.

Laugh. Tesla doesn't do model years eh? That's why the model year identification is, I don't know; stamped on your car. It's also on your title, it's on your registration, it's on your insurance documents, it's on your for sale ad when you go to appraise and sell it. But all that is trumped by a blurb on Tesla's web site saying "we don't do model years". :rolleyes:

Laugh. Tesla doesn't do model years eh? That's why the model year identification is, I don't know; stamped on your car. It's also on your title, it's on your registration, it's on your insurance documents, it's on your for sale ad when you go to appraise and sell it. But all that is trumped by a blurb on Tesla's web site saying "we don't do model years". :rolleyes:

They don't do model years. That's different than saying: they don't identify their cars by the year it was made. Of course they do. As you point out, it is required for registration and insurance, among other reasons. But unlike other car manufacturers, they don't do model years meaning they institute changes at any time, and not at set yearly intervals, like all other car makers do. So within a year, a car may have different models (i.e. 2014 auto pilot vs. 2014 no autopilot - same year, different models.) That's all it means.

Except there is a flaw to that argument. Virtually all other auto makers make updates, swap out/upgrade parts, make improvement during the year etc. Tesla has no monopoly on that.

There's no flaw.

Other manufacturers wait for a new model year to add things like parking sensors, folding mirrors, autopilot hardware, heated steering wheel, new style seats, and the list goes on and on. All other car makers make these types of changes to model years and never within a year. Got it now? If not, please tell me about another auto maker that made a similar change to those I posted above within a model year. We're not talking about swapping out parts or making improvements, whatever that means. So, yes, Tesla does for the time being have a monopoly on this type of car manufacturing, or at least is the only one currently operating in this manner.

There's no flaw.

Other manufacturers wait for a new model year to add things like parking sensors, folding mirrors, autopilot hardware, heated steering wheel, new style seats, and the list goes on and on. All other car makers make these types of changes to model years and never within a year. Got it now? If not, please tell me about another auto maker that made a similar change to those I posted above within a model year. We're not talking about swapping out parts or making improvements, whatever that means. So, yes, Tesla does for the time being have a monopoly on this type of car manufacturing, or at least is the only one currently operating in this manner.

Not sure sure that's universally good for the consumer. I can see how it might be good (or might be bad), and probably is good for the manufacturer (no sales lulls with people holding out for the new model year), but the folks who got a non-AP car a week before the AP cars started being built might see the benefits of this approach in a different light.

Except there is a flaw to that argument. Virtually all other auto makers make updates, swap out/upgrade parts, make improvement during the year etc. Tesla has no monopoly on that.

Ah, you're buying a S90D as I just did, so it would appear you also likely know the true answer and a little more of the detail than you may be letting on with your response. ;)

I hate debate for debate sake over semantics, so I'll simply summarize for others reading this that many other mfgrs don't make substantive changes within a model year that provides readily visible and usable functions for both future new AND existing owners. If the other mfgrs do, IMHO (and while this is a subjective statement) substantive changes within a model's generation that span multiple MY are generally made at a single mid-life refresh, with the exception of perhaps changing tail light designs, some trim or color choices, or other minor tweaks that provide some amount of differentiation for a new MY marketing-wise during its generational lifespan, but are not what most enthusiasts or the trade press would consider are substantive in nature. Tesla OTOH has proven to provide continual changes for existing and new builds within a single year since MS inception, with a list of physical options and changes that are so obvious I won't even take the time here to type in a lot of examples -- except to point you at Rev 7.0 that was sent out OTA to all MS within the past month providing a litany of new and changed capabilities at zero incremental charge. No other mfgr I'm aware of has a track record of delivering that sort of change to the UI and capabilities of their vehicles. Period.

Welcome to the Tesla family.

I will concede that Tesla does more substantive changes through the model year than most other auto manufacturers. Although, the VAST majority of Telsa inter-model year changes based off the change-log are non-substantive just like any other automakers.

Not to mention this thread is started in regards to talking about different model years having different resale values. The absolute answer to that is yes.

Not sure sure that's universally good for the consumer. I can see how it might be good (or might be bad), and probably is good for the manufacturer (no sales lulls with people holding out for the new model year), but the folks who got a non-AP car a week before the AP cars started being built might see the benefits of this approach in a different light.

Yes, that's the dilemma. I'm one of those who missed out on autopilot not by a week but a few months but it still hurt. Then again, I got what I paid for and I am all for progress and I was a defender of Tesla in the long thread when that happened.

... so I'll simply summarize for others reading this that many other mfgrs don't make substantive changes within a model year that provides readily visible and usable functions for both future new AND existing owners.... I won't even take the time here to type in a lot of examples -- except to point you at Rev 7.0 that was sent out OTA to all MS within the past month providing a litany of new and changed capabilities at zero incremental charge.

The model changes don't go to "existing owners" unless, and only if, it's software. And in that regard, see the thread on Rev. 7.0 for us classic owners. It didn't provide us with a "litany of new and changed capabilities". In fact, the vast majority want the old version back.

I will concede that Tesla does more substantive changes through the model year than most other auto manufacturers. Although, the VAST majority of Telsa inter-model year changes based off the change-log are non-substantive just like any other automakers.

Not to mention this thread is started in regards to talking about different model years having different resale values. The absolute answer to that is yes.

I can tell you are not in my shoes. I'm looking to upgrade and I can get more for my vehicle in the States given our low Canadian dollar. So I've been watching the sale prices of the 2014 non autopilot vs. 2014 auto pilot cars on the market to see how much more I have to pony up to get a new one. Guess which one has a far higher resale value even though they are both 2014? This change in price is greater than the difference between 2014 autopilot to 2015.

Last edited:

Put it this way: if you say "2014 Model S85 for sale", everybody will ask "Does it have the Autopilot hardware?"
A 2013 will prompt the question "What battery version?"

With Tesla the Model Year really isn't that important, what really matters is the where it sits on the feature timeline. Sure, later year, more features, but the Model Year isn't the big deal it is in other cars.

Teslas are different. Tesla buyers will ask "what features are on the car?" They won't be as interested in the year. They will look at mileage, body corrosion and damage (would be rust in steel cars but I think in aluminum it's called corrosion), and car features. If it has APv0 or APv1, and the customer wanted APv2, they'd down-cost that vehicle. If it was immaculate paint and low mileage, they'd up-cost that vehicle. Also, they'd look at the date of manufacture. 2013 was a really long year for Tesla. Certain safety retrofits and built-in features would have some value to used car buyers, but a lot of that is kind of hidden from all of us, so that's where there's kind of a little subterfuge that buyers would look at date of manufacture at a bit.

Also, let's say Tesla gets bought out or changes cultures, and becomes a company that doesn't make products for drivers any more, but for some other reason. That date of manufacture and anything after it would become a bad thing.

Let me think of something more current: an interested buyer wants >=APv1, and all wheel drive (Dual Motor), on a vehicle that looks nice. Suddenly, those two things matter a lot. With Tesla, that's not a model year thing. In cold climates, they'd want the heated steering wheel and dual motor, and maybe a heat absorbing color. In warm climates, they'd want remote AC and cool colors (not dark). A lot of people will want AP. Some wouldn't care. Some only want something that looks nice parked, so 40Kwh in the august of its life is a fine battery, whereas others will want to know if your 85 is in good condition.

Tesla doesn't work off of Model Year. Almost everyone knows that, and anyone who doesn't is just outdated. Part of this is up to the seller:

if your advertising remarks about your AP status, heated steering status, dual motor status, range on 80% SOC, miles, etc., and doesn't mention year, people won't look at year.

If you say "I have a 2013 Tesla for sale!!!!!!!!", buyers will know you're probably buying a Chevy.

Last edited: