TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does anyone think MCU1 is fine?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Cbmd81, May 23, 2020 at 10:47 AM.

1. Cbmd81

Cbmd81 Member

I am going on week 3 of my first Tesla - used 2017 model x 75d. MCU1 is so much better than any car I’ve ever owned and seems amazing to me. Is MCU2 REALLY worth the $2500? Am I missing something?

2. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

No. Actually is worth far more. They are only charging us $2500 for the upgrade to MCU2. I'd have paid more than that if they told me I had to, to get it.

3. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Active Member

So far, Tessie's MCU1 is functioning well, but eventually it will likely suffer the eMMC chip failure. If that happens, you're looking at a couple thou to replace it. I expect to sell Tessie soon to get a new Raven Performance MS. If I were going to hang onto it, I'd probably opt for the MCU2.

• Like x 1
  4. plumazul

plumazul Member

I won't get it. It's typical Tesla arrogance that they would propose an "upgrade" that removes options that you paid for when you bought the car, and then offer no other solution. This is similar to how they've striped options from the new S. You take what they offer or forget it. I've owned my S for almost 3 years, I usually buy a new car after 4. It won't be a Tesla. It WILL be a car with a roof that will open, just like I have now.

• Like x 3
  5. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

MCU1 is fine - until it breaks or until you use the console in a 3/Y or MCU2..
    Think about this way: if you've only seen one iphone in your life and it's a iPhone 5.. pretty cool and it does all you need, and it's absolutely amazing...

• Funny x 1
  6. Cbmd81

Cbmd81 Member

Thanks! If it breaks, will I be able to upgrade to MCU2 at that time?

7. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

*when* it breaks LOL

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi Cbmd81,

How many miles are on your car???

If/when the MCU1 breaks, depending upon whether you are under a warranty or not will determine
    what replacement you get.
    So far most of the broken MCU1s under warranty are being replaced with new or re-manufactured MCU1.

When the supply shortage of MCU2 eases up a bit - You should be able to purchase one when you need a replacement
    if your warranty is expired.
    If the warranty is still active you may have to pay more for the upgraded replacement or get another MCU1.

There is still the option of going third party to have your emmc upgraded on your MCU1...

Your choice - it all depends on time...

Shawn

• Helpful x 1
  9. Altes

Altes Member

The reality is that MCU1 is BARELY functional, No browser, HORRID failure rate, Yellow Screen issues, SUPER LAGGY maps, non functional connectivity with phone (speakerphone only), stupid USB music interface, voice commands useless.

Mine failed just out of warranty (62K, 4 yrs) just like everyone's has or will. I had NO OPPORTUNITY TO UPGRADE TO MCU2, that may depend on your service center and how much they want to help you out but here in SF bay area they are just so overwhelmed with broken cars is at minimum 2 weeks for an appointment, then they keep it for AT LEAST a week

• Like x 1
  10. MichaelP90DL

Yes, the browser sucks beyond belief. No yellow screen issues here. Maps function decently. Phone connects correctly. Voice commands work. USB music interface could be better.

• Like x 2
  11. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

@Altres, Horrid failure rate? How do you know how large the failure rate is? What qualifies as horrid?

Is the stupid USB music interface different between MCU1 and MCU2? Or is it the same stupid USB Music interface?

12. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

for that individual, the failure rate was 100%... one can understand why it's 'horrid'

• Funny x 1
  13. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Eventually all MCU1's will fail, that's just a fact due to their design. When will they fail? That's the magic question. How long is a piece of string? Same idea.

• Like x 1
  14. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Yep, agree with you. So will all harddrives, flash drives, SD media, floppy diskettes, tape. And gee, wonder why?

• Like x 1
  15. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

MCU1 isn’t terrible but MCU2 is sooooo much faster and just keeps getting better. MCU1 is very much legacy mode at Tesla and all we can hope is it doesn’t get less and less stable with each release.

• Like x 2
  16. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

I have MCU1. I’m fine with it. If it dies, I’ll probably shell out the extra for MCU2. But only if they make FM available.

sure, the browser doesn’t work. But that doesn’t really change the driving experience for me at all.

• Like x 4
  17. Dechidus

Dechidus Member

If he dies he dies

18. MichaelP90DL

Yep, and I keep telling fellow computer users "BACK UP YOUR STUFF!" Been through too many failures. Voice of experience here.

• Like x 1
  19. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

And they don't do it and wonder why YOU can't recover their files, huh? Never have we had so many free places to back up files to, too. Voice of experience here too.

• Like x 1
  20. Cbmd81

Cbmd81 Member

It has 30k miles. I bought it used from Tesla 3 weeks ago so the warranty is to 80k miles. Prior to purchase I had planned to upgrade when available but now that I’ve been driving it for a few weeks I questioned whether it’s worth it. If there is minimal downside to waiting a year or two I will probably wait. If there is a reason to upgrade sooner than later I will probably go for it.