Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone think MCU1 is fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am going on week 3 of my first Tesla - used 2017 model x 75d. MCU1 is so much better than any car I’ve ever owned and seems amazing to me. Is MCU2 REALLY worth the $2500? Am I missing something?

So far, Tessie's MCU1 is functioning well, but eventually it will likely suffer the eMMC chip failure. If that happens, you're looking at a couple thou to replace it. I expect to sell Tessie soon to get a new Raven Performance MS. If I were going to hang onto it, I'd probably opt for the MCU2.

Reactions: Akikiki
I am going on week 3 of my first Tesla - used 2017 model x 75d. MCU1 is so much better than any car I’ve ever owned and seems amazing to me. Is MCU2 REALLY worth the $2500? Am I missing something?

I won't get it. It's typical Tesla arrogance that they would propose an "upgrade" that removes options that you paid for when you bought the car, and then offer no other solution. This is similar to how they've striped options from the new S. You take what they offer or forget it. I've owned my S for almost 3 years, I usually buy a new car after 4. It won't be a Tesla. It WILL be a car with a roof that will open, just like I have now.

Hi Cbmd81,

How many miles are on your car???

If/when the MCU1 breaks, depending upon whether you are under a warranty or not will determine
what replacement you get.
So far most of the broken MCU1s under warranty are being replaced with new or re-manufactured MCU1.

When the supply shortage of MCU2 eases up a bit - You should be able to purchase one when you need a replacement
if your warranty is expired.
If the warranty is still active you may have to pay more for the upgraded replacement or get another MCU1.

There is still the option of going third party to have your emmc upgraded on your MCU1...

Your choice - it all depends on time...

Shawn

So far, Tessie's MCU1 is functioning well, but eventually it will likely suffer the eMMC chip failure. If that happens, you're looking at a couple thou to replace it. I expect to sell Tessie soon to get a new Raven Performance MS. If I were going to hang onto it, I'd probably opt for the MCU2.

The reality is that MCU1 is BARELY functional, No browser, HORRID failure rate, Yellow Screen issues, SUPER LAGGY maps, non functional connectivity with phone (speakerphone only), stupid USB music interface, voice commands useless.

Mine failed just out of warranty (62K, 4 yrs) just like everyone's has or will. I had NO OPPORTUNITY TO UPGRADE TO MCU2, that may depend on your service center and how much they want to help you out but here in SF bay area they are just so overwhelmed with broken cars is at minimum 2 weeks for an appointment, then they keep it for AT LEAST a week

Reactions: tinm
The reality is that MCU1 is BARELY functional, No browser, HORRID failure rate, Yellow Screen issues, SUPER LAGGY maps, non functional connectivity with phone (speakerphone only), stupid USB music interface, voice commands useless.

Mine failed just out of warranty (62K, 4 yrs) just like everyone's has or will. I had NO OPPORTUNITY TO UPGRADE TO MCU2, that may depend on your service center and how much they want to help you out but here in SF bay area they are just so overwhelmed with broken cars is at minimum 2 weeks for an appointment, then they keep it for AT LEAST a week
Yes, the browser sucks beyond belief. No yellow screen issues here. Maps function decently. Phone connects correctly. Voice commands work. USB music interface could be better.

Reactions: plumazul and tinm
No. Actually is worth far more. They are only charging us $2500 for the upgrade to MCU2. I'd have paid more than that if they told me I had to, to get it.[/QUOTE
Hi Cbmd81,

How many miles are on your car???

If/when the MCU1 breaks, depending upon whether you are under a warranty or not will determine
what replacement you get.
So far most of the broken MCU1s under warranty are being replaced with new or re-manufactured MCU1.

When the supply shortage of MCU2 eases up a bit - You should be able to purchase one when you need a replacement
if your warranty is expired.
If the warranty is still active you may have to pay more for the upgraded replacement or get another MCU1.

There is still the option of going third party to have your emmc upgraded on your MCU1...

Your choice - it all depends on time...

Shawn

It has 30k miles. I bought it used from Tesla 3 weeks ago so the warranty is to 80k miles. Prior to purchase I had planned to upgrade when available but now that I’ve been driving it for a few weeks I questioned whether it’s worth it. If there is minimal downside to waiting a year or two I will probably wait. If there is a reason to upgrade sooner than later I will probably go for it.