Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone think MCU1 is fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my MCU1 replaced (just out of warranty) at Houston north. It was almost 2 weeks and $1700 dollars. I think it would have been faster, but they tried, at my request, to at least get charging working so I could wait for the MCU2 update. Apparently the MCU was too dead, but they did describe their efforts. The car I got back had all setting back at factory defaults except the odometer. Sucks that it happened when it did, but I've got no complaints. Everything seems to be working just fine so far!
I'll be in no rush, really, to get the MCU2 now.

I’m fine with MCU1. The browser is slow, so I rarely use it. Maps are fine as far as I’m concerned. Mine was replaced under the extended warranty a few months ago. When the new one fails in a few years, I will consider upgrading at that time if it is out of warranty.

We have an MCU1 S and MCU2 X.

The big differences are not due to the MCU1 hardware, but mostly with Tesla's decision to focus new development only on MCU2.

Tesla could have done something for the FSD preview visualizations on the MCU1 display and some of the MCU2 apps that run only while parked could also have been ported to run on MCU1, but due to the hardware differences would have required new software development.

While MCU2 may be faster, when moving between our two Teslas, the slower performance of the MCU1 isn't that big of a problem. Both vehicles suffered from the same growing yellow band around the outside of the display. Both have the benefits of the numerous software bugs and design flaws in the console software.

Until Tesla provides an option for upgrading the radio with the MCU2 upgrade, our MCU1 vehicle won't be upgraded. Based on how we use the MCU1 vehicle, we wouldn't see $2500 of benefits in a vehicle that we could be selling or trading in within 3 years, especially if we lost the radio, which we do use frequently in both of our cars.

We have a S85 from 2013 (254.000km on the ODO) and a S100D from 2018 with MCU2.

Yes, MCU2 is faster and better. But after replacing the eMMC in our MCU1 last summer I must say MCU1 has been running flawlessly in our S85! Bluetooth works fine, Spotify plays as expected and Google Maps works.

Is there any way to back up the certs and keys, besides pulling the eMMC and doing a raw copy? From all I've read so far, that is the only irreplaceable loss if the MCU1 dies completely.
Yes, other topic show how this is done and this Youtube video:

Last edited:
Reactions: bhorn
MCU1 does what it needs to do. Sluggish MCU1 is typically a worn out eMMC, new chips perform much better than worn out ones.

All current storage will fail, some before expected lifetime, some after.

MCU2 uses the same screens, They also yellow, I have not seen a bubbling one yet. MCU2 is faster, and eventually they will also fail, we've actually already seen a very very small number fail. And yes it was the eMMC.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I have a 2013 with 62k miles and MCU1. I don't see any yellowing. I don't notice any lagging except sometimes with the volume button. I don't use the browser and don't see a need to yet. Everything works pretty smoothly including the navigation. I use the USB for music. I like the Radio feature. I don't play any games on it. I can't imagine doing the upgrade for $2500 if nothing I see is wrong. If it goes bad, I would consider it. But I also would probably go the replace the chip route if it was way cheaper.

MCU1 does what it needs to do. Sluggish MCU1 is typically a worn out eMMC, new chips perform much better than worn out ones.

All current storage will fail, some before expected lifetime, some after.

MCU2 uses the same screens, They also yellow, I have not seen a bubbling one yet. MCU2 is faster, and eventually they will also fail, we've actually already seen a very very small number fail. And yes it was the eMMC.

My MCU2 failed after 2 months of ownership on my model 3 midrange last year. It was replaced.

Is there any way to back up the certs and keys, besides pulling the eMMC and doing a raw copy? From all I've read so far, that is the only irreplaceable loss if the MCU1 dies completely.
Someone here was offering to do it remotely for a modest fee.

needed a Unix laptop accessible from the internet. I don’t recall how much disassembly was required or how it connected to the car.

Reactions: bhorn
I have a 2013 with 62k miles and MCU1. I don't see any yellowing. I don't notice any lagging except sometimes with the volume button. I don't use the browser and don't see a need to yet. Everything works pretty smoothly including the navigation. I use the USB for music. I like the Radio feature. I don't play any games on it. I can't imagine doing the upgrade for $2500 if nothing I see is wrong. If it goes bad, I would consider it. But I also would probably go the replace the chip route if it was way cheaper.
I don't get it. Your screen hasn't yellowed, neither has the one on my 2015. What's up with that?

@Altres, Horrid failure rate? How do you know how large the failure rate is? What qualifies as horrid?

Is the stupid USB music interface different between MCU1 and MCU2? Or is it the same stupid USB Music interface?

The failure rate is 100%, now, that wouldnt be so bad if it failed after,say 10 years, but most of the failures are at 4 yrs/60K miles and Tesla has admitted that due to the logging they all will fail.

Reactions: InternetDude
Failure rate is 100%? Okay, I am leaving your conversation now, you have hurt your own argument.
He's right, though. Maybe "is or will soon be" would be better but all the MCU1s are condemned to an early death due to excessive logging wearing out the EMMC. @verygreen told me this himself, while sitting in my car discussing the issue, and I'll take that guy's word for it.

Reactions: croman
I don't disagree with verygreen's opinion. Most knowledgeable. Knows what he's talking about. And eMMC failures are inevitable but when has to be put in perspective. There's also a 100% failure rate on brakes, tires, door handles. One of most famous-for-distance-driving owners drove his '13 P85+ S 270,000 miles before his eMMC failed recently. eMMCs fail. But not all fail a the 4 year mark or 5 year mark. Again, perspective is important.

@chillaban - there you go !

I have a Heidelberg Windmill (printing press - jack of all trades type) at my business that I think was made in 1946. It says "made in the US Zone of Germany" (West Germany). We run it almost every day and it must have millions upon millions of impressions. And it still runs great as long as you oil it and replace the rubber elements. So yes everything eventually dies, but some things, if built well, will last a hell of a long time. Those Germans...