Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone use summons regularly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
of course i played with it more when it first came out. but i havent used it in months.

yesterday, i tried using on my phone and key fob. i was in a tight spot that i had to reverse about 2 more feet. there were no obstructions. i activated the summons and it attempted to back up, then stopped. why is this? (it was a parking garage and there was a back wall, but it was at least 4 feet away). i thought the car could at least get 1-2 feet away. no matter what i did it wouldnt back up more.

I think summon requires a certain clearance to start the car moving. It is supposed to move the car at least 1 car length in the direction of travel. I think the default is set to like 24'? So if it see that it only got a 4 or 5 foot clearance, I am thinking it won't even move at all. The other thing you could check is the ground levelness. It won't start if it is on a slope.

My mother needs a walker to get around, and if there is a car parked next to me, I will summon my Tesla forward so she can easily get in. I use this pretty much every time we drive somewhere.
but why don't you just get in the car an drive it forward a little bit? For me, I tried it once and decided it is more of a sales gimmick until it becomes much more reliable. I see too many stories on here about unexpected damage.

but why don't you just get in the car an drive it forward a little bit? For me, I tried it once and decided it is more of a sales gimmick until it becomes much more reliable. I see too many stories on here about unexpected damage.

It depends on the driver. My wife summon her MX out of the garage everyday. Whenever I drove the family out, I got in the MX and back it out myself. When she asked why do I not summon it out, I said it is faster to drive it out. She said it is not; summon is faster. I said backing it out myself is faster. She said do you want to sleep on the couch? I said summon is faster of course. :p

Have you ever driven around an 80-year-old with a walker?
There's two ways to do it:
a) leave her standing by the passenger door, walk across to the driver side, get in, move the vehicle halfway out of the spot, put it in Park, then get out and walk to the passenger side again to help her into her seat. Close her door, walk back around to the driver side, get in, and drive off. Or,
b) While standing by the passenger door, summon the vehicle forward, help her get in, shut the door, walk around to the driver side, get in, and drive off.

Have you ever driven around an 80-year-old with a walker?
There's two ways to do it:
a) leave her standing by the passenger door, walk across to the driver side, get in, move the vehicle halfway out of the spot, put it in Park, then get out and walk to the passenger side again to help her into her seat. Close her door, walk back around to the driver side, get in, and drive off. Or,
b) While standing by the passenger door, summon the vehicle forward, help her get in, shut the door, walk around to the driver side, get in, and drive off.
Well in fact, yes, she just turned 87 in fact. "A" of course is not good. "B" is better, but not the way I do it. At 87, I am not going to leave her standing there while I slowly summon the car. I will pull out the car first, then go in and get her. Summon still doesn't do me any good so far. So my answer is "C", or none of the above :)

Last edited:
Daily use for me: in/out of the garage using the keyfob.

Before the v9 update, it worked right away every time I pushed the keyfob. But right now, it seems the car has a connectivity issue when It switches between LTE/WIFI. So every time I jump out of the car, I have to wait about a minute to begin "press and hold for 5 seconds". Otherwise, it just blinks the light then does nothing.

For the past 2 weeks I have used it almost daily and it has been very helpful.

my garage at work is being renovated so there are less spots available and yet people still insist on parking too close to the line between spaces. this is an older NYC garage so the spaces are small to begin with. what is happening is 2 cars on either side of a space are essentially sharing the 3rd space assuming that no one will park between them b/c whoever parks between them will not be able to open their door to exit/enter the car.

with summon, i can pull into the spot to align things, pull out of the spot to exit the vehicle and get my things, and pull the car back into with summon.

i pull the car out in the same way if the drivers side door is blocked by another car.

its been working well.

i have only used summon with the FOB when it was 1st released to test things. i use summon from the app exclusively these days, but one day i will re-learn how to use summon with the FOB.

i am very pleased with summon functionality, although for many years i too thought it was a gimmick.