TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does anyone want to help me play "will it fit"?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Cashoverass, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Cashoverass

Cashoverass Member

- Front: 21" x 9" ET20
    - Rear: 21" x 10.5" ET30

2. LuckyLuke

LuckyLuke Model S P85DL

Oof, that's some really low ET there. Factory rims are ET40 , with some space to spare. My guess would be: no.

For my S I have ordered a set Vossen CV4 front 20x9.0 ET35 tires 245/40/20, rear 20x10.5 ET42 tires 285/35/20, which should fit fine.

3. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

#3 nrcooled, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
    I am going to say yes and no. It really depends on your definition of "fit". The rears are going to be tight and may rub the inside of the fender (towards the motor). I had a 10.5 in the rear (+15) and I only had about 5mm of clearance between the tire and inside of the wheel well. You may need a 10mm spacer to push it out far enough to clear. I ran a 265/35 to make it happen.

The fronts will poke a bit at that offset but should fit with no rubbing.

You will definitely need to run a 30 series sidewall tire to pull this off. If you can test fit them please post up your findings. Make sure to srop the air suspension to low and turn the wheel to check for clearance.

FYI - Most vendors will allow you to return the wheels if you don't mount tires on them. Get them and do some test fitting.

4. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

nr, can you please double-check the offsets of your wheel with the mfg. On a 10.5" wheel with a +15mm offset, you'll have a TON a clearance on the inside - the same clearance as the stock 8.5" wheel, which has almost 1 full inch inside clearance. Something doesn't add up.

From an offset calculator, i.e. 1010TIRES.COM - Wheel Offset Calculator :

offset.jpg

5. DIL

DIL Member

of all the aftermarket rims I've seen, the vossens still look the best. Please share pics once you've got them...

6. nrcooled

nrcooled P#8946 VIN 03225

I can only report on specifically what I saw on my car. When mounted I certainly didn't have an inch of clearance between the back of the hoop to the inside of the wheel well. The wheels were marked by the manufacturer as 10.5 +15 and I didn't measure the wheel itself since it couldn't be changed thus making it a moot point.

In addition, I had the 19s on my car before so I am no familiar with how much space the stock 21s have for backspacing. The factory 19s do have a ton of space.

7. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

This makes sense. Many wheel companies manufacture wheels with a thicker pad and then machine it down for the specific application. Can you call the company and ask what offset they use for a 10.5" Tesla application?

And a 10.5 +15 wheel compared to a Tesla 19" wheel... you should have maybe 1" to 1 1/2" between the wheel and inside of the wheel well.

8. Freeride

Freeride Member

Hopefully Cashoverass got his wheels almost a year ago and I can continue this thread without starting a new one?

Has anyone mounted 20" Vossen CV1 to their Tesla Model S? I have been told about various wheel dealers that there might not be the clearance needed for the 20" rim.

So before I go online and burn of some money I thught I`d ask here.