Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone wave anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a MX as a loaner when my new MY was in the SC last week...seemed to get more waves in that then I did in my MY or my old M3SR... maybe it's just perception but M3s aren't special anymore, always used to wave and mostly for responses back in 2019. Now...so many around I do wave, but get very little response.

I was thinking the same today! So many Tesla's on the road you'd get RSI!

I wonder if new owners are missing out on part of what made Tesla 'special'?
I’m a new Tesla owner so I haven’t experienced the “wave“. I think about it whenever I pass another Tesla. Can someone describe what it was like in the early days? Sort of like a “secret society” acknowledging each other when passing by? Sounds very cool and I’m sorry I missed that.

I’m a new Tesla owner so I haven’t experienced the “wave“. I think about it whenever I pass another Tesla. Can someone describe what it was like in the early days? Sort of like a “secret society” acknowledging each other when passing by? Sounds very cool and I’m sorry I missed that.
Just very causal...
1658611645939.jpeg

As an owner you were always on the look out for others, they were uncommon and there was a sense of cameraderie. Not really "secret society" like, more an acknowledment of someone else that had taken the plunge into something new and rather exciting.

It's pretty much completely gone with the arrival of swathes of M3's and now the Y, but S & X drivers are likely to still to acknowldege one another.

My wife loves to be spotter...in fact she likes to do the waving...and I have to keep stopping her waving at Teslas while we are walking...
...OK, I'll admit it ... setting embarrassment aside ... we got so "wave happy" at one point we forgot we were in the Fiesta on the way to the dump and happily waved to a confused Tesla driver!

During the phase of "essential waving" when Teslas were fewer it was even more embarrassing! You always needed a wingman/woman in the passenger seat who could act as a spotter!
My 3 1/2 year old grandson could be my spotter…even from his car seat in the back! This kid is amazing and is obsessed with Teslas ever since his pop-pop got MYP.
He not only can spot them but he calls out the correct model! Lol 😂

Reactions: Adopado and Bouba
As an owner you were always on the look out for others, they were uncommon and there was a sense of cameraderie. Not really "secret society" like, more an acknowledment of someone else that had taken the plunge into something new and rather exciting.

It's pretty much completely gone with the arrival of swathes of M3's and now the Y, but S & X drivers are likely to still to acknowldege one another.
Hey! When I got my model 3, I waved at others (my son loves spotting them and counts how many he sees on each journey) - I found the S and X's to not wave back, but my fellow 3 bedrins did.

Nowadays I get blanked by practically everyone but the odd 3/Y, and SWMBO just laughs at me and tells me to give it a rest. Sad times.

Picked up my M3 early last week and nice drive back from Heathrow to Dorset.

Passed one MX, no wave.

Since then have passed at least a dozen MS, MX and one M3 and nothing!

Now I’m feeling like a bit of a clown waving at people!

Is waving at other Tesla drivers not a thing anymore?
I was thinking the same today! So many Tesla's on the road you'd get RSI!

I wonder if new owners are missing out on part of what made Tesla 'special'?