Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone with a refresh have "Stopping Mode" options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my 4th Tesla, a 2022 MSLR. All of my previous Teslas had a Stopping Mode option. I still have two of the three other Teslas, a 2015 S85D and a 2022 MY (delivered just 10 days before the MSLR), both of which have the same firmware as the 2022 MSLR (2022.8.3), and both have a Stopping Mode option. (The old S doesn't have the "Hold" option, because the hardware doesn't support it, which I understand.)

I really want to put the MSLR in "Roll" mode, which is what we've used in all of our other Teslas. I see quite a few posts here about this option being missing from the refreshed S & X, but others seem to indicate they still have this option. I'm trying to figure out if my new $100K car is stuck with only Hold or if something is misconfigured on my MSLR (as well as a bunch of others' cars).

I find Hold mode to be difficult to use when trying to move the car very short distances (i.e., parking in a small garage). Roll mode was perfect for this.

Hold mode is so natural. I used to creep for tight parking. But once hold mode came I think most creeper and rollers moved to hold. I can move in increments of a 1/2” easy. You’ll get used to it. Because as soon as you let throttle go it stops. I don’t recall seeing the option on my Raven X or Refresh S.

I guess it really is just gone from the new S. The owner's manual for the Y has a section for Stopping Mode but the S does not. I guess I'll have no choice but to get used to it, but why on earth would they remove the option from the S but keep it on the lower-end cars?!? I guess Elon knows best! :rolleyes:

I also noticed the Energy App is gone. Sure hope that's not also removed intentionally! That's an invaluable tool on road trips.

Hold mode only now on S and X. I have used Creep since getting my Roadster in 2010. But I picked up a Volvo XC40 Recharge last November while waiting for my X and it uses Hold. It took a bit of adjustment (although this is how my tractor works so I had some experience) but now I love it and wish our 2018 S had Hold mode. I am looking forward to it on the X. Just take the leap - you will have to adjust a bit like you did to learn one-pedal driving in the first place (you will be stopping short for a time).

Idk what the developers have been doing the last 2 years but lots of things are still missing on the software. Energy app is oneg. No word on if it is gone for good or just a delay in porting to the new instrument cluster/horizontal center screen.

Also, I don't think we can have information displayed in the left and right portions of the driver's screen like we could before. On my 2018 S I liked having tire pressure and energy graph on the driver's screen. My wife liked music and nothing displayed. I think we will be waiting for that for a while longer.

Just picked up an X yesterday and I was surprised that I can't set it to Roll Mode. Roll Mode was the only mode when we first test drove the Model S in 2012 and have been using it for 10 years in every Tesla vehicle since. Roll Mode feels like a manual transmission car and I prefer it. I tried Stop Mode in my 3, but it always felt weird and wasteful with the friction brakes compared to just rolling to a more gradual stop.

But I guess with all things Tesla, we just have to get used to the new way because we usually don't get the old way back. Took a long time for me to get used to the lack of a power meter. Or the ability to display both the camera and the map at the same time. Or the removal of trip "cards" in the 3's UI -- okay, I'm still annoyed by this one.