Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AP adjust lane position now?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Driving to the airport today I passed a lorry slowly in the average speed section and the car beeped a little and pretty sure it moved over to the right side of the lane to give itself space and then back to the middle after passing

Tried to check again but traffic wasn’t ideal for it, but I think I got it to do it a second time

Anyone noticed this and can corroborate? If so, is it new behaviour? I don’t recall it before

I’m note sure about the beeping, but since I’ve had the car (March 2021) it has always adjusted lane position if there was a vehicle too close on either side. It doesn’t adjust as much as I’d prefer, but it has done this for at least the past year.

Reactions: Mrklaw
It's not exactly the same but the other day this happened what driving with AP:
The flatbed truck in the lane to my left and slightly ahead drifted over the line into my lane slightly and AP hung back until it had moved back before starting to pass. So it definitely does account for the positions of vehicles on other lanes.

Not that I’ve noticed myself? 2hrs ago in the rain, the car did it’s usual phantom brake shenanigans as I passed a hgv travelling in lane two, as I was in lane three.
I usually cover the accelerator to prevent this, but wondered if there’s been any improvement in the latest update?
Nope! :-(

Not that I’ve noticed myself? 2hrs ago in the rain, the car did it’s usual phantom brake shenanigans as I passed a hgv travelling in lane two, as I was in lane three.
I usually cover the accelerator to prevent this, but wondered if there’s been any improvement in the latest update?
Some people swear blind they’ve noticed a marked improvement in AP after each update. Personally, I don’t think there’s been any change to the AP software in a very long time. (Aside from the braking changes in slow moving traffic, but that’s a bit different anyway).

AP has been moving over in-lane for a number of years now. There were initially complaints the unexpected in-lane movement when passing an HGV was severe enough it was causing some passengers to feel nauseous. I've noticed changes to the rate/smoothness of in-lane adjustments with various updates but the behaviour has been ever present.

Reactions: MrBadger
Which car do you have?
I have a 2021 M3 MIC and I get maybe 2 phantom breaking events every 1000 miles of Autopilot. They're not super large phantom breaking either, just a small slowdown.
I've only had one large phantom breaking experience and it was in a very explainable situation.

It's done this for a long time, I think more noticeable in an S or X as they are wider cars so it is more likely to move over a bit.

Some people swear blind they’ve noticed a marked improvement in AP after each update. Personally, I don’t think there’s been any change to the AP software in a very long time. (Aside from the braking changes in slow moving traffic, but that’s a bit different anyway).
I also agree, I don't think Tesla have made any change to AP, no reason develop the old software brand when they are focused on the vision based system.

I've noted a vast improvement in AP by driving on the other side of the road (e.g. France and Spain). Some improvement here in the green and pleasant land, though.