TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Does AP avoid driving in other vehicles blind spots?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Haxster, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Haxster

Haxster Member

I know that I'll find this out "eventually" in my HW2 MS, but was curious if the current autopilot is smart enough to try to keep out of the blind spots of other vehicles.

2. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Nope, my AP1 just keeps cruising at the speed it can do without much care for cars in parallel lanes, unless they start creeping closer/into my lane.

3. Matias

Matias Active Member

AP1 does not have this feature.

4. number12

number12 Active Member

I would be more worried about major pot holes. How will AP purposefully break the law to not sent you new $10,000 wheels?!

5. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Yeah, Haxster asked about current AP. So I was just providing some insight on some of current APs.

6. Haxster

Haxster Member

Oh no:eek: I would classify this as a serious shortcoming for both safety and (my) driver stress.

Living in the Bay Area, I REALLY try to avoid driving in another vehicles blind spot...or along side of them.

Hopefully, Tesla will realize that both of these (defensive driving) issues are something that they should address in the near future.

7. kirkbauer

kirkbauer Member

Yeah, that's my biggest concern with full autonomous driving. I haven't heard a peep about that. After losing two tires and one 21" wheel one of the deciding factor of downgrading to 20" wheels was the upcoming AP. Even with me being fully attentive I still couldn't avoid every pothole, and I know AP won't.