Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AP/EAP "see" brake lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just upgraded my 2022 MYLR to the Enhanced Autopilot package that just became available. Definitely not worth the $6k asking price, but that's a conversation for another day.

Does freeway autopilot (with AP3 computer) have the ability to see brake lights on the road ahead? I ask because I often use AP on the freeway, and I can see cars with their brake lights ahead, but the car keeps going (sometimes even accelerating) until it gets much closer to the slowing cars. It's definitely not smooth and it makes me nervous when it speeds up when everybody else is slowing down. I know that the cameras can detect red lights, but it does not seem to see the brake lights of the cars ahead. It looks like it only uses the distance data.

I just upgraded my 2022 MYLR to the Enhanced Autopilot package that just became available. Definitely not worth the $6k asking price, but that's a conversation for another day.

Does freeway autopilot (with AP3 computer) have the ability to see brake lights on the road ahead? I ask because I often use AP on the freeway, and I can see cars with their brake lights ahead, but the car keeps going (sometimes even accelerating) until it gets much closer to the slowing cars. It's definitely not smooth and it makes me nervous when it speeds up when everybody else is slowing down. I know that the cameras can detect red lights, but it does not seem to see the brake lights of the cars ahead. It looks like it only uses the distance data.
I believe theres a period of time you can get a refund on it. I think everyone agrees it's not worth $6k.

I believe theres a period of time you can get a refund on it. I think everyone agrees it's not worth $6k.
Yeah, I had my finger on that refund button many times during the 48 hour "trial" period. I ultimately decided not to refund it because my car is only a couple of months old and I use (dumb) summon all the time since I have a tight garage, and I do like the automated lane changes. I think it is grossly overpriced for the feature set that you get, especially since those features were standard on my 2014 S85 AP1.

I decided to keep the purchase for a couple of reasons. First, if EAP was offered when I was ordering my car, I probably wouldn't have thought twice about adding it to the order. My car has appreciated over $15k since I ordered in October 2021, so I'll probably make some of the money back when I sell. Secondly, AP lane change and summon are features that make the car more fun to use and functional for me, so I do see some value in them. Lastly, having EAP gets me the lower $99/month subscription for FSD, so I can sit on the sidelines now without having to shell out another $6k and subscribe for half the price when the beta has been opened to all.