TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does AP use regen?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by MrFusion, Nov 7, 2019.

1. MrFusion

MrFusion Member

Anybody know if AP is smart enough to use regen braking or does it just apply the actual brakes anytime it needs to slow down? Curious to see if my driving with manual regen is more efficient than AP driving.

2. AI1337Tech

AI1337Tech Member

Yep, it uses regen when slowing and balancing stopping power. Depending on wether the stoping speed senses enough regen capacity is available to stop within its (rather over sensitive) stopping/slowing distance, it will mix in calipers as needed. It will use slightly more physical breaking than the human with more experience with regen.

2019.36.x improved this to allow for more balance towards regen than pads for AP I believe.

3. Kevy Baby

Kevy Baby Dis-Member

You can also verify yourself by watching the green regen / grey power usage meter in the upper left of the screen. I have and can ascertain that regen is used on AP.