TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Does AP work for you on PCH?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by insaneoctane, May 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Trying to decide if AP is for me....
    Can anyone confirm that AP 2.0 works on PCH anywhere between Santa Monica and Malibu? How about on Malibu Canyon Road or Kanan Dume?

2. oktane

oktane Active Member

Yes it will get you a very close and exhilarating view of the ocean....

• Funny x 4
  3. Tam

Tam Active Member

You might have to define what that word means.

Since it is not a freeway, I doubt you can have AP2 to AutoSteer at 90 mph if you want that kind of speed.

Also, I don't think Auto Lane Change would work because it is not a freeway.

AP2 still works as a smart cruise but you still have to manual steer with that kind of speed.

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

AP2 stil needs to settle down some but the PCH is not a problem except the right lane guard rail south of Will Rogers Beach. Kanan Dume has more room to roam (and AP2 does) but Malibu Canyon is a no go for me without very vigilent, hands-on co piloting essentially disengaging more often than not. The power lines crossing the road cause momentary sudden deceleration, and there is very limited room for error regardless of travel direction.....the cliff or the rock face. TACC adjusts speed pretty well and no problem with either tunnel. Latigo will be the ulltimate AP2 litmus test! ;)

These are not 90mph roads, but I'm sure you know that.

• Informative x 1
  5. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Member

Excellent feedback. Thanks for your experience!

6. Rouget

Rouget Member

Why isn't there any Autopilot dedicated sub-forum? Would be neat!

7. zackmilo

zackmilo Chrome Delete Champion

Just went canyon carving in my friends Audi SQ5 on kanan and wouldn't trust AP but it also is a fun road to drive the Tesla on. The PCH it should work at least between Temescal and Malibu/Pepperdine. I don't know about near the incline because there is so many people cutting people off to get into lots. It would be also quite fun on the hill north of Pepperdine and you could watch the surfers. You can use it but use it at your own risk.
    Zack

8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Not for me but I'm quite a few lanes over.

9. Mike K

Mike K Member

PCH isn't a problem but Kanan would be. That's not a shortcoming of AutoPilot though; It's just not meant for that kind of road.