Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does auto lane change work for y'all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had it refuse to work when rain kept blowing water across the sensors.

That said, my problem with it was pilot error originally... Creating a new driver profile switches it to off, you must go back and turn it back on.

• Helpful
Reactions: Blastphemy
Mine worked the first day I had the car, then didn't work for the subsequent two drives, then worked again yesterday. No rhyme nor reason, and very little traffic each time.

I've had situations where it stopped working and I didn't know why. I wish there were some kind of an indicator that told you the reason it wasn't working. In the rain, the only reason was that I caught a glimpse of the side sensors flashing yellow VERY briefly.

From what I understand, auto lane change will only work when the car is able to detect the outside lane markings of the lane you are trying to change to. You can see this on the dash represented by a grey line. If the car can't detect that there is a land next to yours then regardless of whether there is an opening in traffic, it won't attempt to change lanes.

There is a problem with auto-lane change at the moment. So far this has been the most reliable part of the autopilot package for me. But after the latest firmware update it goes haywire.

The dash indicates that there is a clear lane to change into. So hand on the wheel, set the blinker and now the "clear lane" just disappears from the dash. Nothing else happens, no dashed blue line, no change in speed nothing.

Then sometimes it suddenly works perfectly again. It's almost as if Tesla tweaked the "clear lane" code and it broke in a subtle way.

I tested this on an almost completely empty motorway and it didn't work reliably most of the time. A huge change down from the almost 99% reliability I've had so far.

Note this was in a Model S, but the hardware is the same.

I've noticed the exact same thing with my MS. Not sure what they changed but they managed to break it.

Mine has worked extremely well for the month I have had my X, including a trip from northern NJ to Richmond on auto pilot most of the way. Between the comfortable seats and seating position, and auto pilot, it is the best road trip car I have ever owned.

Reactions: loganintx
my problem with it was pilot error originally... Creating a new driver profile switches it to off, you must go back and turn it back on.
That turned out to be my problem too. We created a new profile, but forgot to enable auto lane change on it. Then we didn't pay attention to which profile was active (because we thought they were triggered by which person got into the driver's seat with their fob) and didn't figure out until seeing your post that the profile was the problem.

We've had a few failures...
Auto-lane-changing requires the car to be seeing very clearly... your lane, the next lane, lack of cars around, etcetera.
Even using full indicator we've had it balk partway through a lane change twice... once appears to have been because we went under an overpass and it seems the car lost sight of the other lane momentarily so it reverted to the original lane for a couple of seconds, then changed successfully.
It also seems reluctant to change into newly created lanes.

After almost 2 weeks and over 1,000 miles, I've had auto lane change work for me every time. My son had that problem (human error) where it was switched off in his profile and then wondered why it wouldn't work for him. :)

We tried having it lane change onto an exit ramp - it slowed down and started to take the exit but then I had to take over because it was still going to fast and not turning onto the ramp correctly. Maybe if I had been following a car exiting it would have worked? I'll have to try it again.

We tried having it lane change onto an exit ramp - it slowed down and started to take the exit but then I had to take over because it was still going to fast and not turning onto the ramp correctly. Maybe if I had been following a car exiting it would have worked? I'll have to try it again.

I was in an exit-only lane, following another car, and the car didn't seem to want to follow the exit (despite very good markings). It seemed to want to continue on the roadway and took me to the left side of the exit before I took over. I haven't had time to experiment a bit more, but it seems like there are more forces in play.

I was in an exit-only lane, following another car, and the car didn't seem to want to follow the exit (despite very good markings). It seemed to want to continue on the roadway and took me to the left side of the exit before I took over. I haven't had time to experiment a bit more, but it seems like there are more forces in play.

Did you leave the turn signal on? Turning it off too soon will abort he lane change.

After driving with the autopilot for the last couple weeks, I'm amending my original opinion of the system and now feel very satisfied that it's working exactly as advertised and described in the operator's manual and release notes. Is it perfect, no, but it still works to the best of its ability as designed. I'm sure it will only get better over time as it matures in capability.

After driving with the autopilot for the last couple weeks, I'm amending my original opinion of the system and now feel very satisfied that it's working exactly as advertised and described in the operator's manual and release notes. Is it perfect, no, but it still works to the best of its ability as designed. I'm sure it will only get better over time as it matures in capability.

This is why Tesla makes you confirm that it's a Beta Software when you enable the feature the first time, and again when updated.

System works extremely well compared to what was available in the market before the Model S included the system.

Glad to hear your enjoying it

Last edited:
Very odd. I would contact your service center and see if they can pull the logs. I know that mine does not require any steering wheel input to start. It does sometimes take a moment to ensure the lane is open for the lane change. But it's consistently able to do it. I rarely move the turn signal to the detent position. I just nudge the signal to activate and hold it until it's about halfway through the change. Best of luck!