Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autopilot add productivity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time >>> Money. If Autopilot truly adds time/productivity to one's life, then it is worth my trading in my 2013 Model S for a new one with Autopilot.

Comments from current Autopilot users?
Absolutely. I am able to make more calls while driving, peak at my bb, eat breakfast/lunch without worrying about the mess and generally arrive at my appts with less stress and not as tired.
Having said that, this is still in beta test and you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Reactions: Blueeyedme
lol way to justify the expense of going from a non AP car to an AP car. I think it's around $25-35,000 to add that "one" feature.

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat... but damn that's a chunk of cash just to add AP to a car... I already own...

Well my current Model S is a low end 70K config. If I trade-in for a new one with AP, I'm gonna go all out... P90D, AP, Ludicrous, everything, which would get it to around 140K. So it'll be a 70K upgrade for me ha!

But man oh man is Ludicrous sweet or what?? Doesn't add productivity but still...

Reactions: Canuck
I don't know perception vs. reality, but I sure feel like it takes less time to get places in my Tesla than my Mazda... lol

I want AP, but want a 85D, I'm not going to trade newer for a smaller battery.. so that puts me at $50k trade on a $85k car. (used)...

so, $30,000 cash to get AP and AWD... seems a bit much for me...

You haven't told us how much you drive and in what types of conditions - impossible to answer your question without knowing that.

I would say, however, that you'll pry my Autopilot from my cold dead fingers. However I drive a lot - more than 20,000 miles per year - and much/most of it on freeways in California with heavy traffic.

Autopilot reduces stress so much it's hard to describe - it's worth far more than the $2,500 price tag to me. I'd pay $20,000 for it. Maybe more.

AP is close to flawless on the freeway, but there is no way I could focus on something other than driving on rural roads. Your commute depends a lot. Time is indeed money, but there is also a ton of research saying even 1 minute of extra commute can have a drastic effect on your health and job satisfaction. Making that less of a pain via AP definitely has value in terms of wellness, not just in time saved.

Autopilot reduces stress so much it's hard to describe - it's worth far more than the $2,500 price tag to me. I'd pay $20,000 for it. Maybe more.

Having driven in LA, that's certainly true! However, driving from my home to my office and back, and driving from my home to my cabin and back, which is the bulk of my driving, it's the actual driving that is my stress reliever and I really look forward to getting in my car and driving.

However, I still really want autopilot and now that the front end is redesigned, I'm just waiting on autopilot 2.0 and the bigger battery before I make the upgrade, since I don't want to get burned again, and I want my car to drop me off, go park and come back and get me later. It rains a lot here!

Reactions: calisnow
I had a friend that thought it was a gimmick but I have driven from Seattle to Wash DC and have found using it really helps so much on long trips and I feel safer especially at night as I do not get as tired as feel as though I can watch all of my surroundings much more effectively. Also making calls etc so much easier and safer. It has improved in the 4 months I have had the car too.

For me, it's worth it just to reduce my stress levels while driving in traffic.

My commute home is typically 18 miles in 45-60 minutes. With AP, it doesn't seem like it and I get home not angry at the world for how horrible the drivers are in Nashville.

So, I guess you can say it increases my happiness quotient which, in turn, makes me less stressed when I get home and allows me to focus more on any work I didn't complete at the office, or even work I need to get done around the house.

Well these are some seriously positive testimonials. AP = time savings, stress reduction, and increase in wellness. Sounds like a no-brainer.

I work mostly from home, so I guess the value of AP for me would be less than for someone with a long daily commute. Still, it sounds like it is totally worth it.

I just got a call from my local Tesla gallery. They appraised my 2013 Model S60, with 34K miles, great condition, at only 35K trade-in value. That is definitely less than I was expecting. Maybe I'll list it on eBay.

I don't know if autopilot has made me more productive. I certainly don't yet trust it to the point where I would completely divert my attention to reading a book, texting, or anything else that I would consider "productive".

It has, however, made me a much safer driver. I work full-time and am pursuing my graduate degree in a part-time program. This means that I'm up at around 7AM, I spend an hour or so in traffic to get to work, get out at 5PM, and spend another 1.5 hours in traffic to get to campus. By the time I get out of work, I'm exhausted. Before I made the upgrade from my Mazda to the 70D, I caught myself on more than a few occasions very nearly dozing off at the wheel. Now with autopilot, it's much easier for me to stay awake when I'm not solely responsible for driving. I turn on autopilot and let it do its thing, and while I am ready to take over at any given moment, not having to physically steer or hit the brakes/gas pedal has worked wonders for helping me stay more awake on the drive to school. That, is priceless.