Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AutoPilot (AP) Do This On Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious to know if anyone out there thinks, as I do, that the Lane Correction is not as smooth as it should be (software version 2017.44). Now I love using AutoPilot on California freeways. Just one thing bugs me. When driving on an absolutely straight section of the highway, and not changing lanes, my hands resting lightly on the steering wheel, I nevertheless feel the steering wheel making continuous and unnecessary minor corrections (left, right, left, right, etc.). The road is straight without curves. So why is the steering wheel even moving? And will this cause unnecessary tire wear? I know AP is beta software but am posting this question in the interest of offering constructive feedback.

...When driving on an absolutely straight section of the highway, and not changing lanes, my hands resting lightly on the steering wheel, I nevertheless feel the steering wheel making continuous and unnecessary minor corrections (left, right, left, right, etc.).

What happens when you have AP off on that same road? Do you have to make corrections? Or does the car track straight? For me, on the type of road you describe, I do not have to input corrections and AP also does not.

I have noticed consistent corrections, i.e. every few seconds, on my wife's 75D. In comparison, on a 90D loaner I tried this was not the case. Both cars on AP2. I am thinking there could be an alignment issue that is giving AP more work.

My own car is AP1 and I rarely feel it correcting without a change in driving conditions.

the worst part is when you engage AP2 if you are not dead center in the lane, your passengers are given a rude correction awakening as the car centers itself in the lane....not sure what was so hard about making it a bit more gradual transition to the middle like AP1

Thank you, everyone. Fremont pushed me the 2017.48 firmware and it corrected the problem for me. Now when I am traveling on a straight section of the freeway, with AP active, the steering wheel remains perfectly still. Maybe a minor movement now and then; but not like before. And before, when I clicked into AP, the steering wheel jerked noticeably. Now it is smooth as silk.

Thank you, everyone. Fremont pushed me the 2017.48 firmware and it corrected the problem for me. Now when I am traveling on a straight section of the freeway, with AP active, the steering wheel remains perfectly still. Maybe a minor movement now and then; but not like before. And before, when I clicked into AP, the steering wheel jerked noticeably. Now it is smooth as silk.

Just curious, how did you get Fremont to push you 2017.48?

I have noticed consistent corrections, i.e. every few seconds, on my wife's 75D. In comparison, on a 90D loaner I tried this was not the case. Both cars on AP2. I am thinking there could be an alignment issue that is giving AP more work.

My own car is AP1 and I rarely feel it correcting without a change in driving conditions.

No, I think it is a firmware/software bug. See my post about 2017.48.

Mine does this too. I'm running .46. Tesla please push to my model s update .48 or newer. Does it fix the non gradual engaging ap2 not centered in a lane problem?

How do we report bugs? I'd like to complain about driving on smooth long straights or long curved sections of hov lanes on Southern California freeways with ap2.5:

While driving in the carpool/hov lane with tacc and autosteer enabled and pretty much at any speed while the car is driving smoothly on its own besides a double yellow or white parallel solid lines and inside the leftmost lane usually everything is fine until the the carpool/hov lane changes the double parallel solid lines and introduces a slight change in lane paint on the right side usually with broken white lines marked as designated entry or exit places to the hov lane. Anyways, when this happens every couple of miles or however the lane is segmented that way my car dives to the right then it dives back to the left creating a bad feeling if I don't correct it or fight with it to hold it straight, it will literally try to steer over my inputs till it releases autosteer and gives me full control, at that point there's almost always recoil from my having to correct the car. This problem happens worse on hov lanes that are wider than usual. There are some sections of the 210 west with wide hov lanes and from what I recall I think I would see a solid blue lane marker in my instrument cluster only on my left lane as the entry or exit lanes began. It's as if ap2 completely loses the right line when it moves out and turns dotted then the car doesn't think to keep things steady and straight and continue on for 2/4s of a mile or double whatever that entry/exit gap is standard leeway; it just jerks to the side. At slow speeds it's not so noticeable but at 70mph I can let it make me feel like a ping pong ball but I don't. I wait till some genius team puts some gradient or linearness on the inputs and reactions of the vehicle when not in any emergency state.

Mine does this too. I'm running .46. Tesla please push to my model s update .48 or newer. Does it fix the non gradual engaging ap2 not centered in a lane problem?

How do we report bugs? I'd like to complain about driving on smooth long straights or long curved sections of hov lanes on Southern California freeways with ap2.5:

While driving in the carpool/hov lane with tacc and autosteer enabled and pretty much at any speed while the car is driving smoothly on its own besides a double yellow or white parallel solid lines and inside the leftmost lane usually everything is fine until the the carpool/hov lane changes the double parallel solid lines and introduces a slight change in lane paint on the right side usually with broken white lines marked as designated entry or exit places to the hov lane. Anyways, when this happens every couple of miles or however the lane is segmented that way my car dives to the right then it dives back to the left creating a bad feeling if I don't correct it or fight with it to hold it straight, it will literally try to steer over my inputs till it releases autosteer and gives me full control, at that point there's almost always recoil from my having to correct the car. This problem happens worse on hov lanes that are wider than usual. There are some sections of the 210 west with wide hov lanes and from what I recall I think I would see a solid blue lane marker in my instrument cluster only on my left lane as the entry or exit lanes began. It's as if ap2 completely loses the right line when it moves out and turns dotted then the car doesn't think to keep things steady and straight and continue on for 2/4s of a mile or double whatever that entry/exit gap is standard leeway; it just jerks to the side. At slow speeds it's not so noticeable but at 70mph I can let it make me feel like a ping pong ball but I don't. I wait till some genius team puts some gradient or linearness on the inputs and reactions of the vehicle when not in any emergency state.

I've been advised as follows:
You can either schedule an appointment through 877-79-TESLA or email the service center at [email protected].

The email for your service center may be different.