Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autopilot (non-FSD) slow down for corners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the US, does Autopilot slow down for you when it approaches a corner or does it just take the corner at the speed you have it currently set to? I've seen videos of people showing their Model 3 appearing to assess the corner and slow down for it and I'm not sure if that's because it's EAP or because AP behaves differently in the US. I have a Model 3 with HW3 but not FSD and I've yet to have it slow down.

In UK, even with FSD, it is very much a guess whether it will slow or not. Certainly not a feature to rely on and certainly not done in a timely manner.

I'm hoping its not basing this info on maps or other fleet cars. They are notoriously inaccurate and from my experience of driving in NZ pre sat nav days, I would imagine being even less accurate there with the number of road realignments that I came across on my travels over many years.

Mine (no FSD) doesn't slow down most of the time. It just corners at the set speed and often time makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. But some of the times AP did seem to slow down a bit when entering the corner/curve. I only had little over 1k miles so I haven't able to figure what are the conditions triggering the slow down. I'd prefer that AP consistently slow down a few mph before entering the curve, like I often do when driving by myself.

This functionality, at least for FSD, has changed over time. A year ago, it didn't slow down. It would just get in a curve and panic. (Tell driver to take over)
But then it started slowing a little, and still had quite a few problems and would panic.
A few months ago, it started seeing and anticipating curves and slowing down, to the point that, people called it grandma driving. It was really slow going around the curve.
Today, last I checked (it changes with software releases) it does see curves, it does slow down and it doesn't do a bad job of it. From watching behavior, it seems as if this might be one of the times when it is looking at the map for clues as well as the cameras. It feels that if the map shows a good curve, then the car will anticipate a lot more. But even if it doesn't the camera will see it and slow the car down.

So, for me, today, it's probably handling 99% of the curves "correctly" there are still a few that it has issues with. I've still seem some center line incursions on really curvy roads, but even on those, the car has slowed itself down significantly.

• Informative
Reactions: Yang_H
My 2015 MS will slow down for at least some curves. I have a couple of 20 mph curves near my house on a rural road that it anticipates and slows down for. I wont say that it does a smooth job of navigating the corner, however.

This functionality, at least for FSD, has changed over time. A year ago, it didn't slow down. It would just get in a curve and panic. (Tell driver to take over)
But then it started slowing a little, and still had quite a few problems and would panic.
A few months ago, it started seeing and anticipating curves and slowing down, to the point that, people called it grandma driving. It was really slow going around the curve.
Today, last I checked (it changes with software releases) it does see curves, it does slow down and it doesn't do a bad job of it. From watching behavior, it seems as if this might be one of the times when it is looking at the map for clues as well as the cameras. It feels that if the map shows a good curve, then the car will anticipate a lot more. But even if it doesn't the camera will see it and slow the car down.

So, for me, today, it's probably handling 99% of the curves "correctly" there are still a few that it has issues with. I've still seem some center line incursions on really curvy roads, but even on those, the car has slowed itself down significantly.
That's what I had seen in some YouTube videos too with US cars but it's not what I see with my car here in NZ. I'm curious if cars with just Autopilot in the US have that same experience you've had or if that's restricted to FSD upgrades only?

My wife's 2015 S70D (AP 1) does slow down where appropriate, likely based on data fed back from thousands of prior trips by other Tesla owners. SO this 'fleet learning' tells Tesla that, even if the speed limit is 65, most drivers slow to, for example, 62 MPH. So my wife's car does slow down, then accelerates back up to my set speed.

My wife's 2015 S70D (AP 1) does slow down where appropriate, likely based on data fed back from thousands of prior trips by other Tesla owners. SO this 'fleet learning' tells Tesla that, even if the speed limit is 65, most drivers slow to, for example, 62 MPH. So my wife's car does slow down, then accelerates back up to my set speed.

It'll be wonderful that model 3 does the same. I haven't driven enough miles to know it yet but sure hope this is the same on M3.

It'll be wonderful that model 3 does the same. I haven't driven enough miles to know it yet but sure hope this is the same on M3.

...same. Fleet learning applies across all AP equipped Teslas. Maybe you find a highway with some major curves, where ordinarily you personally would slow down to be safe. Activate your Model 3 AP (when safe) and set it for a speed well above your 'safe' speed and see what happens. Careful to not get a speeding ticket.

Here's a video showing both v9 and v10 slowing down for curves on a California highway (not interstate):
(Jump to 1:45 for a side-by-side comparison.)

As in the video, I've also noticed Autopilot slowing down significantly ahead of curves. Before it seemed like it was more based on some map data, and with v10, it seems to looking at visually how curvy the road is to decide how fast it should take the curve.

Here's a video showing both v9 and v10 slowing down for curves on a California highway (not interstate):
(Jump to 1:45 for a side-by-side comparison.)

As in the video, I've also noticed Autopilot slowing down significantly ahead of curves. Before it seemed like it was more based on some map data, and with v10, it seems to looking at visually how curvy the road is to decide how fast it should take the curve.
That's actually the video that brought me to make this thread. However, the video creator most likely has EAP rather than just basic AP so didn't help me with my question.