Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autopilot on a new Model X need a training period

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People with autopark and autopilot issues in the early days were told that the car might need to be driven for a couple hundred miles before the sensors are correctly calibrated.

Is that still the case? If I pick up my model X can I expect autopilot to work straight away or will it take a little while?

I agree with above. My Model S, and every other car using AP now, are feeding AP driving data to Tesla and in turn your car has all the same information mine does. It's one of the coolest features about this car. Although I'm not in Chicago. I'm in Phoenix. If you're ever here, feel free to take advantage of all my AP driving though!

I had the pleasure of driving a brand new Model S P90DL for 5 days while our Model X was being checked out for some minor issues. What I immediately noticed was that the autopilot for the MS was rock solid and far superior to our MX. The difference was truly surprising. TM performed a wheel alignment on our MX and provided some other adjustments. I drove the MX yesterday. While the autopilot is definitely better, it is still not as steady as the MS. I wonder if this is due to newer firmware for the MX whereas the version for the MS is more mature?

I was told the day I picked up my new S85D that the autopark and some auto pilot features require an initial calibration period to settle in before activating. Apparently it has something to do with the new tires/alignment calibrating in the new car.
And its true, autopark didn't even show the first days. Everything worked fine after the first week.