TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Does Autopilot on a new Model X need a training period

Discussion in 'Model X' started by dutchinchicago, Mar 16, 2016.

1. dutchinchicago

People with autopark and autopilot issues in the early days were told that the car might need to be driven for a couple hundred miles before the sensors are correctly calibrated.

Is that still the case? If I pick up my model X can I expect autopilot to work straight away or will it take a little while?

2. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

It will work straight of the lot perfectly.

3. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

I agree with above. My Model S, and every other car using AP now, are feeding AP driving data to Tesla and in turn your car has all the same information mine does. It's one of the coolest features about this car. Although I'm not in Chicago. I'm in Phoenix. If you're ever here, feel free to take advantage of all my AP driving though!

4. DarrinR

DarrinR Member

I had the pleasure of driving a brand new Model S P90DL for 5 days while our Model X was being checked out for some minor issues. What I immediately noticed was that the autopilot for the MS was rock solid and far superior to our MX. The difference was truly surprising. TM performed a wheel alignment on our MX and provided some other adjustments. I drove the MX yesterday. While the autopilot is definitely better, it is still not as steady as the MS. I wonder if this is due to newer firmware for the MX whereas the version for the MS is more mature?

5. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

There's an 'L' designation on the Model S now? I wasn't aware of that.

6. dutchinchicago

He means P90D. P90D with ludicrous mode.

Has anyone else noticed a difference between model X and Model S AP?

7. jkliu47

jkliu47 Member

I was told the day I picked up my new S85D that the autopark and some auto pilot features require an initial calibration period to settle in before activating. Apparently it has something to do with the new tires/alignment calibrating in the new car.
    And its true, autopark didn't even show the first days. Everything worked fine after the first week.

8. pvogel

pvogel Member

Yes, autoPARK requires calibration, as mentioned in the manual. Autosteer (autopilot) does NOT.

9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Even old fashioned cars did this... rather than program in 200 billion difference scenarios, you have the car learn for the first week (or x miles), then it knows what to do :)