Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autopilot recognize Potholes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How is this possible? Is this a real thing?
I noticed while on Autopilot, there are certain areas on the freeway where the car moves to either side, and puts the existing potholes in the center of the car to avoid running them over. At first i thought it was just a lucky miss, but it does this every single time daily. It moves pretty far to avoid them.

Is this a real thing that Tesla gets information from other Tesla's on road conditions? If so, this would be great for reporting traffic and weather conditions on a route similar to Waze.

I hope this is an up and coming update, but then again, how is it doing this every time with the potholes?

Last edited:
How is this possible? Is this a real thing?
I noticed while on Autopilot, there are certain areas on the freeway where the car moves to either side, and puts the existing potholes in the center of the car to avoid running them over. At first i thought it was just a lucky miss, but it does this every single time daily. It moves pretty far to avoid them.

Is this a real thing that Tesla gets information from other Tesla's on road conditions? If so, this would be great for reporting traffic and weather conditions on a route similar to Waze.

I hope this is an up and coming update, but then again, how is it doing this every time with the potholes?
you realise that autopilot as such is just TACC + lane assistant?