Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Autopilot Update Between Firmware Upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had always assumed that autopilot updates only happened with firmware updates. Yesterday, autopilot suddenly handled an interchange that I ALWAYS had to override it on, and it wasn’t preceded by a firmware upgrade. There was no car ahead of me, and it had previously failed this interchange, regardless of whether there was a lead car ahead of me or not. So that has me wondering: do neural net updates happen between firmware updates?

I had always assumed that autopilot updates only happened with firmware updates. Yesterday, autopilot suddenly handled an interchange that I ALWAYS had to override it on, and it wasn’t preceded by a firmware upgrade. There was no car ahead of me, and it had previously failed this interchange, regardless of whether there was a lead car ahead of me or not. So that has me wondering: do neural net updates happen between firmware updates?

No. More likely what happened is that something was different in the driving scenario that caused the NN to react differently.

What ‘navigational’ database? Only one I know of is the maps and you either have the 2018 or 2019 one. Unfortunately, it’s not updated monthly. Would be great if we had local/regional updates to speed limits/google maps.

The annual or worse updates are like the old days of never getting updates or purchasing new DVDs annually. I would hope with Tesla we would get updates more often than with a classic GPS which was once a year or so.

What ‘navigational’ database? Only one I know of is the maps and you either have the 2018 or 2019 one. Unfortunately, it’s not updated monthly. Would be great if we had local/regional updates to speed limits/google maps.

It's not monthly but it's a lot more often than annually.

A few weeks ago for example a local road that had never had speed limits in the system before got them via a map update so now I could use autosteer above 45 (though of course one shouldn't :))

Reactions: PoitNarf
Tesla has a neural network called Tesla Vision. Perhaps it has gotten enough data from other Tesla fleet going through that interchange to handle it even better.

Amazing how much better Autopilot has in the 2 1/2 years I have owned it
It's not monthly but it's a lot more often than annually.

A few weeks ago for example a local road that had never had speed limits in the system before got them via a map update so now I could use autosteer above 45 (though of course one shouldn't :))
Okay, what map version on you on? See Software tab in the car.

Because as far as I know MCU 1 cars are on a 2018 map package; some/all MCU 2’s have a 219 dated one. Be interesting to see if there are more than these two around.

And if it’s not the map file, what is it?

There is a separate set of maps for the driver assistance systems. Here's a long thread about it:

Tesla Autopilot maps

AFAIK it is not possible for the user to see the version information.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Well, hard to tell what’s going on, because my car sailed through the interchange correctly again today, under completely different conditions. In fact, today it was cloudy and raining, and the car immediately in front of me veered off the other way, and I thought for sure my car would follow it — but it didn’t. It stayed straight on path, without missing a beat. May be coincidence, but after missing this interchange a hundred times before, it’s a relief to finally not have to fight the steering wheel for control. Anyway, thanks for the info everyone! :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Interesting map info (on the AP maps). Great that we can’t tell what the version is to settle this! :D

You can, the map version is listed on the new Software section in the main car menu. I’ll check mine a bit later, but I’ve definitely observed a new map update being downloaded around every 3-4 months.

You can, the map version is listed on the new Software section in the main car menu. I’ll check mine a bit later, but I’ve definitely observed a new map update being downloaded around every 3-4 months.
We already said all that. I was referring to the actual AP tiles as in the thread linked above.

We are assuming that the maps version number on the Software tab is for the google maps (it says ‘Navigational’ which could mean several things).

Based on discussion in the AP tiles thread above, it seems that things are updated more often than the 2018 or 2019 ‘navigational’ maps we all have. My obvious point then was, be nice to have a version for that. But perhaps it’s updated all the time and a date stamp wouldn’t tell us anything.

And I’ve never heard of ‘every 3-4 months’ for the Nav maps. I saw a post where it looked like the MCU 1 cars have a 2018 version and MCU 2 have 2019.