Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does available miles update in real time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, I have found that the meter is updating essentially when the car is significantly regenerating (like going down a hill). It will often just stay on a remaining miles number for many miles, 8-10 and not go down and in some cases GO UP even. Wouldn't that be considered updating in real time?

Reactions: dhrivnak
This is the correct answer.
On road trips over the past 4-5 months, I've developed a few useful habits w/r/t range:
- I take the stated range ("305 miles") and use 80% of that for realistic, stressless purposes.
- I use nav, which does predict the % of battery that will be available when I arrive at the next SC/destination. I have found this to be really accurate, and really responsive to changes in speed in ~real-time.
These two things work in concert to help me confidently road trip with no range anxiety.

FWIW, on a recent trip I drove through major afternoon summer downpours in Florida and while I had thought reduced speed (for safety) would offset increased drag from water on the road, but this was not the case. It felt like I lost between 10-20% of range in that situation. Something to bear in mind when the phone app tells you that you have enough electrons to continue on your trip...how's the weather forecast?!

On road trips over the past 4-5 months, I've developed a few useful habits w/r/t range:
- I take the stated range ("305 miles") and use 80% of that for realistic, stressless purposes.
- I use nav, which does predict the % of battery that will be available when I arrive at the next SC/destination. I have found this to be really accurate, and really responsive to changes in speed in ~real-time.
These two things work in concert to help me confidently road trip with no range anxiety.

FWIW, on a recent trip I drove through major afternoon summer downpours in Florida and while I had thought reduced speed (for safety) would offset increased drag from water on the road, but this was not the case. It felt like I lost between 10-20% of range in that situation. Something to bear in mind when the phone app tells you that you have enough electrons to continue on your trip...how's the weather forecast?!

We don't have a model 3 yet, but this is roughly what I do in the S. For warm weather driving I take 80% of stated range, for cold weather I take 60%. Heating the car REALLY kills efficiency.

Reactions: suwaneedad
The battery meter value has nothing to do with your driving habits or history. It displays the EPA rated range if you have it set to miles, or you could set it to percent of charge.

Does this mean, if I charge at 80% every night then range should show at 400 KMs.

But actual mileage depends on weather and usage.

However I have seen that 80% charge shows different number ( 400 to 376).

Does this mean, if I charge at 80% every night then range should show at 400 KMs.

But actual mileage depends on weather and usage.

However I have seen that 80% charge shows different number ( 400 to 376).
80% charge will be about 400 km now. It will drop a few km as the car ages. It’s not possible for 80% charge to show 376 km. Perhaps your slider wasn’t set at exactly 80%.

• Informative
Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
Reduced speed, unless it's a lot, say 50%, doesn't reduce the energy used pumping all that water though the tread grooves to match Rated Range. The trip graph is your friend when adverse weather happens. Unfortunately, the trip graph is not yet implemented in the Model 3.

This thread is surprising to me. I had assumed that the car would update your range based upon your driving. Seems like an important feature especially given the nature of the vehicle and limited charging options (relative to a gas vehicle). I sure hope this is a feature Tesla plans to add in the near future. All the vehicles I've purchased in the last decade have estimated range based upon driving.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
This thread is surprising to me. I had assumed that the car would update your range based upon your driving. Seems like an important feature especially given the nature of the vehicle and limited charging options (relative to a gas vehicle). I sure hope this is a feature Tesla plans to add in the near future. All the vehicles I've purchased in the last decade have estimated range based upon driving.

The reason it just does EPA miles is that Rated Miles are just that, Rated. In the S and X, the trip graph also takes hills and speed limits into account, but not weather (Rated is still just EPA miles, and Ideal is 55 mph driving). Note that the trip graph is a relatively recent addition to the software. I don't doubt that the 3 will get it sometime down the road when Tesla has more data on real world Model 3 behaviour.

Wait, there is no trip planner in the 3?

Tesla does have an estimate that accounts for past driving. The energy graph shows an average consumption of the last 5 or 15 or 30 miles and on the right side shows you how much that consumption represents in remaining range. So if you are driving 85 on the freeway with head wind, it will show you the higher energy consumption and tell you exactly how far you can go if you continue that way.

You also have the baseline as 'rated range' and that's a constant. How you have been driving for the last 50 miles doesn't mean that's how you will be driving for the next 50. Tesla gives you the constant baseline numbers, it gives you the predicted range based on the last 5/15/30 miles. On top of that you also have the trip planner that knows energy consumption on the roads ahead to your entered destination and can calculate how much battery you need to arrive and in my experience is very accurate and useful.

No other EV offers this level and variety of range prediction and security.

Edit: I understand the Model 3 doesn't have the trip planner yet. I'm not sure why but I'm sure it will come in a software update sooner than later.

Reactions: jerry33