TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Does available miles update in real time?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by gujudog, Aug 29, 2018.

1. gujudog

gujudog Member

Does available miles update in real time depending on what mi/hr you are getting? Or does it take 250wh/mi avg to display?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

The battery meter value has nothing to do with your driving habits or history. It displays the EPA rated range if you have it set to miles, or you could set it to percent of charge.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. Xenius

Xenius Member

This is the correct answer.

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

It does show the EPA range on remaining battery but I think it uses about 232 Watts/mile. So how you are driving indirectly affects total range.

5. M3Denver

M3Denver Member

I have found it to be very accurate in the last 2500 miles

6. tivoboy

tivoboy Active Member

Hmm, I have found that the meter is updating essentially when the car is significantly regenerating (like going down a hill). It will often just stay on a remaining miles number for many miles, 8-10 and not go down and in some cases GO UP even. Wouldn't that be considered updating in real time?

• Like x 1
  7. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

On road trips over the past 4-5 months, I've developed a few useful habits w/r/t range:
    - I take the stated range ("305 miles") and use 80% of that for realistic, stressless purposes.
    - I use nav, which does predict the % of battery that will be available when I arrive at the next SC/destination. I have found this to be really accurate, and really responsive to changes in speed in ~real-time.
    These two things work in concert to help me confidently road trip with no range anxiety.

FWIW, on a recent trip I drove through major afternoon summer downpours in Florida and while I had thought reduced speed (for safety) would offset increased drag from water on the road, but this was not the case. It felt like I lost between 10-20% of range in that situation. Something to bear in mind when the phone app tells you that you have enough electrons to continue on your trip...how's the weather forecast?!

8. Xenius

Xenius Member

We don't have a model 3 yet, but this is roughly what I do in the S. For warm weather driving I take 80% of stated range, for cold weather I take 60%. Heating the car REALLY kills efficiency.

• Like x 1
  9. MacGreiner

I miss the trip function we have on the S for road trips. Hopefully an update will bring this to the 3.

• Like x 1
  10. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

Does this mean, if I charge at 80% every night then range should show at 400 KMs.

But actual mileage depends on weather and usage.

However I have seen that 80% charge shows different number ( 400 to 376).

11. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

80% charge will be about 400 km now. It will drop a few km as the car ages. It’s not possible for 80% charge to show 376 km. Perhaps your slider wasn’t set at exactly 80%.

• Informative x 1
  12. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

Thanks. Let me check the slider

13. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Could you elaborate? I thought the 3 had a trip planner like the S/X.

14. MacGreiner

Only partially, not the graphical power usage curve. I use it all the time to determine when to leave superchargers and for how quick/slow I can go on my way to the next SC.

15. diamond.g

diamond.g Active Member

Ah for the three yeah we are missing the line. But it still does show percentage of battery at each SC stop and destination. Personally I would like the consumption screen on the 3.

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Reduced speed, unless it's a lot, say 50%, doesn't reduce the energy used pumping all that water though the tread grooves to match Rated Range. The trip graph is your friend when adverse weather happens. Unfortunately, the trip graph is not yet implemented in the Model 3.

17. suwaneedad

suwaneedad Member

Therefore it is not my friend.

18. djgarrett21

djgarrett21 Member

This thread is surprising to me. I had assumed that the car would update your range based upon your driving. Seems like an important feature especially given the nature of the vehicle and limited charging options (relative to a gas vehicle). I sure hope this is a feature Tesla plans to add in the near future. All the vehicles I've purchased in the last decade have estimated range based upon driving.

• Disagree x 1
  19. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The reason it just does EPA miles is that Rated Miles are just that, Rated. In the S and X, the trip graph also takes hills and speed limits into account, but not weather (Rated is still just EPA miles, and Ideal is 55 mph driving). Note that the trip graph is a relatively recent addition to the software. I don't doubt that the 3 will get it sometime down the road when Tesla has more data on real world Model 3 behaviour.

20. David99

David99 Active Member

Wait, there is no trip planner in the 3?
    Tesla does have an estimate that accounts for past driving. The energy graph shows an average consumption of the last 5 or 15 or 30 miles and on the right side shows you how much that consumption represents in remaining range. So if you are driving 85 on the freeway with head wind, it will show you the higher energy consumption and tell you exactly how far you can go if you continue that way.

You also have the baseline as 'rated range' and that's a constant. How you have been driving for the last 50 miles doesn't mean that's how you will be driving for the next 50. Tesla gives you the constant baseline numbers, it gives you the predicted range based on the last 5/15/30 miles. On top of that you also have the trip planner that knows energy consumption on the roads ahead to your entered destination and can calculate how much battery you need to arrive and in my experience is very accurate and useful.

No other EV offers this level and variety of range prediction and security.

Edit: I understand the Model 3 doesn't have the trip planner yet. I'm not sure why but I'm sure it will come in a software update sooner than later.

• Like x 1