Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does AWD work in reverse?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning guys, I've tried to search for this but nothing is coming up, surely this has been asked or noticed before.

So - bit of snow from Storm Eunice here in UK - car is great going forward but in reverse the front wheels are slipping but the back do not appear to be powered? Is that correct? AWD only works in front drive mode not reverse?

I only noticed as I have a sloping drive to reverse on to with a bit of snow at the front so the back tyres absolutely had dry ground (from where the car stood last night) but they didn't attempt to turn and the front wheels just spun on the snow. The slip mode had no effect either (in reverse).

Thanks.

I've never paid attention to that, kind of curious (although irrelevant to my location). Will test it out in a few hours when I leave with SMT and see if any power goes to the front motor in normal, slip start and track mode.

Reactions: LoudMusic
It's actually the opposite of what you were thinking, most of the power is diverted to the front motor, and a small amount to the rear motor when in reverse.

This screenshot is in sport mode with slipstart disabled, going from a dead stop, flooring it in reverse.

57kw to the front, 15kw to the rear.

***Unless the direction of the motor messes with something in SMT, because the rear motor is showing 118 tq even with only 15 kw of power. It's a bit confusing.

Screenshot_20220219-131910.png

Reactions: SomeCurry