Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does basically every owner here use HomeLink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on picking up my Model 3 in a few weeks, and I was doing some research on HomeLink.

In short, I didn’t realize how easy it was and how compatible it is with basically every garage door system. Am I missing something here? Does it really work with basically every garage door system and is really that easy to set up? I hardly hear anyone talking about it so just wanted to bring it up.

Just be careful using the geofence feature. It almost closed the garage door on my car while I was adjusting my parking. Luckily I noticed it closing in time, and pulled out of the way. There are other threads where some people weren’t as lucky, and ended up with some really unfortunate damage. I’ve since disabled the auto open and auto close feature and will just manually press the “button.”

I use auto-open and it works great. Garage is almost half open when i get to the beginning of the driveway and I slowly creep to get in as the door opens fully.

Will never use auto-close. because sometimes you are not sure if it really closed the garage or not when you driving away.

The Tesla is first HomeLink equipped vehicle we've owned that Actually Works as intended.

If I don't want the door to open or close automatically upon entering or leaving I just touch skip to cancel. The only thing easier would be a neural implant to transmit my intentions. Elon's working on that ;)

I use HomeLink all the time. Auto-open works perfectly. I don’t trust the auto-close, so I don’t have it enabled. But the manual close works fine for me.

One thing to keep in mind though: the garage close/open is usually a toggle command. Just like the button on the remote. The car has no way of knowing the current state of the garage door. So if the garage is already open when you arrive, the auto-open will close it instead, unless you press Skip. Not a problem for me as I almost always close the garage door whenever I leave.

Last edited:
I use it every day and it works pretty well.
I use HomeLink all the time. Auto-open works perfectly. I don’t trust the auto-close, so I don’t have it enabled. But the manual close works fine for me.

One thing to keep in mind though: the garage close/open is usually a toggle command. Just like the button on the remote. The car has no way of knowing the current state of the garage door. So if the garage is already open when you arrive, the auto-open will close it instead, unless you press Cancel. Not a problem for me as I almost always close the garage door whenever I leave.

For this reason I wish the "Skip" option that displays would stay on the screen longer. Several times when a family member had the garage door open before I arrived home I realized several seconds after getting near the driveway that I didn't want the door to close but didn't react quick enough to the "Skip" button. I suppose in time I'll be better more aware this but there doesn't appear to be any good reason why the skip button couldn't stay displayed right up until the signal was actually sent to the garage door opener.

Homelink by license only allows three codes to be stored in any car. That makes sense in every other car where there are three physical buttons. But damn, I really wish the Tesla supported more than three, since it's all just software and data. They could support unlimited Homelink entries if they were just allowed to. I have no idea why Homelink limits the license to just three per vehicle. This year we're selling two houses and buying(bought) a third, so at one point in time, I needed 5 different Homelink buttons, so I had to go back to juggling two remote openers. What a PIA.

I had to disable auto-open at one house because there's a main road nearby, and sometimes even just driving by my house (and not turning onto the street the house is on) would trigger the Homelink to open the garage. One time I didn't even notice, and when I came back two hours later, my garage door was open, and Homelink closed it. Now I'm glad they added the audio alert so at least I can tell if it's sending the signal.

Also, sometimes when I'm driving by and go to hit the 'Skip' button, its touch area is pretty small, and if you miss it by just a tiny bit, you actually hit the button to trigger the signal, the exact opposite of what you want. It's not easy hitting 'skip' when driving by in a curve at 35mph.

We've sold one house, so I'm now back down to three.

Little known fact -- you can program the Tesla Homelink buttons to trigger any 433mHz remote signal, not just garage doors and gates.

I am a little amazed people are just discovering HomeLink, it's been around for over 15 years in a lot of cars and works with virtually all garage door openers. I have used it in my cars for over 10 years and have never had any issues with any of them working with multiple garage door openers. If you have an opener that is over 15 years old you may have issues, but other than that it should work (you can also get a bridge if you need one as well).