Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does basically every owner here use HomeLink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use auto-open and it works great. Garage is almost half open when i get to the beginning of the driveway and I slowly creep to get in as the door opens fully.

Will never use auto-close. because sometimes you are not sure if it really closed the garage or not when you driving away.
Like some other Tesla owners, I back into my garage using the rear camera and parking sensors. When leaving, I just wait until my garage door is fully closed before leaving, by watching it in my mirror. (Leaving it open means wild critters, such as bears, getting into my garage, which is a problem.) Auto close works well for me but I always wait to be sure the door remains closed.

I really appreciate the open\close "ping" that was added with a firmware update.

Reactions: SageBrush
Homelink in and of itself has nothing to do with the auto open / close functionality that Tesla had added on top of it.
I have had the basic version of homelink where you program buttons in the car for your garage door / gate on my last 3 or 4 cars. Never had any major problems, but you still have to manually press the button to open or close the door.
One minor problem I ran into is that rolling code openers have a maximum number of transmitters that can be assigned to them. I have a wireless keypad, a MyQ setup and 2 cars programmed to each door. Last time I got a new car I couldn’t add it. I had to reset the opener and relearn all of the remote transmitters in order to get my old car out of the system. Worked fine after that.

I’ll be curious to try out the auto open/close features of the Tesla, but I’m a bit wary after reading about the guy who got his new car whacked by the door.

Some have raised the door interrupt sensors so they see the car body rather than the open space under it.

If you have small children or pets this wouldn't be recommended.

I haven't explored the possibility of adding a second set of sensors. That would protect children and the car from having the door close on them.

My garage opener is old and it works fine. Setup was really easy and it works flawlessly. I just had to calibrate it a bit with the opening/closing distance since GPS isn't super accurate to get a position. I have it set at 40ft to open/close once I leave / enter the driveway.

We use both Homelink and MyQ.

MyQ allows you to check the status of the garage door and open or close it from anywhere.

MyQ works if you are on a bicycle, motorcycle, or want to open or close the door remotely or determine if the door is open. My friend wanted to borrow a tool when we were in Florida. So I opened and closed the door for him.

Unless the newest Homelinks are different, you can't even check the garage door status while you are work. Puzzling since all the technology is there.

Set mine up last night after taking delivery on my model 3, I love it! We practiced a couple times pulling up and having the garage open 100 ft away, so by the time I'm at the door its all the way up. Based on other suggestions we turned off "close on exit" and just do it by hitting the button.

MyQ allows you to check the status of the garage door and open or close it from anywhere.

MyQ works if you are on a bicycle, motorcycle, or want to open or close the door remotely or determine if the door is open. My friend wanted to borrow a tool when we were in Florida. So I opened and closed the door for him.

Unless the newest Homelinks are different, you can't even check the garage door status while you are work. Puzzling since all the technology is there.

I picked up a myQ for $20 at Home Depot a while back. Got the app and love it.

I use auto-open, but I leave auto-off disabled for the same reason everyone else does.

Now if you do have a chance to get a new garage door opener I would highly suggest one that has separate commands for open versus close. That way it will always do what the car tells it to do. So you never run into an issue where it closes when the car told it to open.

• Informative
Reactions: Ivan.R
Some have raised the door interrupt sensors so they see the car body rather than the open space under it.

If you have small children or pets this wouldn't be recommended.

I haven't explored the possibility of adding a second set of sensors. That would protect children and the car from having the door close on them.
I would think that the tires rolling through my safety sensors would be enough to get the door going back up immediately. I suppose it could happen, but it is difficult for me to see how the door could close on my car after driving through that beam.

I have had occasions where I drove back though the geofence — jockeying around slick snow conditions on my driveway — and the door started down again as I was approaching the garage, but I could see it coming down and just stopped. This has been very rare in my use case; now that I have the "ping" warning turned on it wouldn't even take me by surprise.

It feels like HomeLink has been around forever (okay not forever, but at least 15+ years like the post above mentions), so maybe that's why it doesn't get talked about much. It's great not to have to deal with a separate garage door opener and attaching it to a visor or storing it in a console. I think the best part is never having to change the batteries, which always seem to die right when you need to rush off somewhere quickly. Auto-open and auto-close are just icing on the cake.

Everyone here seems very concerned with the way auto-close works, but I haven't found it to be an issue as I pull in head first and back out of my garage. I'm actually more annoyed that auto-close doesn't always work, which I think has to do with the speed at which I exit the garage. Too slow and it doesn't seem to want to activate.

I had to disable auto-open at one house because there's a main road nearby, and sometimes even just driving by my house (and not turning onto the street the house is on) would trigger the Homelink to open the garage. One time I didn't even notice, and when I came back two hours later, my garage door was open, and Homelink closed it.
I believe you can now adjust the distance at which it activates. Have you tried that?

I believe you can now adjust the distance at which it activates. Have you tried that?

Nah... I'm selling that house now anyway, and over the last few months I've had contractors over and most times I'm going there just to stop in and check on things anyway (or they're already parked in the driveway), so even if I am going there (and not just driving by), I no longer really needed auto-open or auto-close anyway.

We have a MyQ opener that is connected to our home security system that is monitored by alarm.com. I also have all of our lights & doors connected to the alarm.com panel with z-wave (home automation). I have a scene (essentially a macro) set up with an associated Android widget to arm the alarm, turn off all of the lights, lock all of the doors & close the garage door & another scene/widget to disarm the alarm, open the garage door & turn on selected lights at night. The homelink system in the Tesla would only open the garage door (& subsequently set off the alarm) so I don't plan to use it.

I know that alarm.com has compatibility with IFTTT. If Tesla now, or in the future, is also compatible with IFTTT then I might be able to link the two but I'll figure that out once I get my car (configured, waiting on VIN).

The more I think about it, I have tried using geofencing with alarm.com to trigger my scenes & it wasn't reliable enough. I was never sure that the alarm system was armed, etc. when I left the house. Plus, there's the variable of whether my wife is home & if she would want the alarm armed so leaving it as a manual switch with a widget is probably the best way to go.