Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does BCAA repair paint due to a hit and run?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there

So this happened again today! Two weeks ago, someone opened his door too wide and caused a dent on my 2 month old Tesla. Weird thing is that Sentry Mode didn't catch that. It did catch someone walked to the car right beside mine and was going to open his door, But the clip stopped right there and no more. I was pissed off but decided to live with it because it's so light that no one will notice it unless really look into that area. I turned off the Sentry Mode because this and the higher energy consumption since then.

Today, when I get back to my car in a public parking place, I found my front was damaged. Looks like someone backed off into my car and scratched the face. The damage was not big (no dent) but big enough to damage the paint. I didn't call the police because I was in a hurry. Not sure if you guys will claim the insurance or re-paint it by yourself.

I in my life never had any accident, let alone to claim the paint damage. I own a Civic and a CRV for more than 20 years but never cared about the paint on them. But I do now with my Tesla that I even did Ceramic coating on it. What you guys suggest I should do? BTW, my comprehensive was with BCAA and I have the "One Accident Forgiveness" (is that even relevant or worth to use?). My comprehensive deductible is $500.

Thanks in advance!

Hi there

So this happened again today! Two weeks ago, someone opened his door too wide and caused a dent on my 2 month old Tesla. Weird thing is that Sentry Mode didn't catch that. It did catch someone walked to the car right beside mine and was going to open his door, But the clip stopped right there and no more. I was pissed off but decided to live with it because it's so light that no one will notice it unless really look into that area. I turned off the Sentry Mode because this and the higher energy consumption since then.

Today, when I get back to my car in a public parking place, I found my front was damaged. Looks like someone backed off into my car and scratched the face. The damage was not big (no dent) but big enough to damage the paint. I didn't call the police because I was in a hurry. Not sure if you guys will claim the insurance or re-paint it by yourself.

I in my life never had any accident, let alone to claim the paint damage. I own a Civic and a CRV for more than 20 years but never cared about the paint on them. But I do now with my Tesla that I even did Ceramic coating on it. What you guys suggest I should do? BTW, my comprehensive was with BCAA and I have the "One Accident Forgiveness" (is that even relevant or worth to use?). My comprehensive deductible is $500.

Thanks in advance!
That sucks. Depending on your paint colour the cost may vary (multi coat paints are more expensive). It sounds like it would only be your front bumper to re paint, I know the rear bumper re paint for a pearl white is around 1300 (tesla approved body shop), so I'd bet it's around 1k for you. You won't likely get your ceramic re coating covered though, but that's just my guess. Also I believe you would need to file a police report for insurance, but someone else in BC may have better experience answering that.

This is really a mathematics question.

Assume pcons' $1000 estimate and pst/gst equals $1200.

Deductible is $500, so the OP would be paying $500 and the carrier $620.

OP has ""One Accident Forgiveness". (That may be "One Claim Forgiveness".)

OP did not have a claim in over 20 years, then two in the space of a month. The risk of another incident appears to be relatively low. The risk factors appear to be within the influence (but not the control) of the OP.

(OP could park in more inconvenient locations and hope that others will not park nearby because of the inconvenience. But others still might chose to park beside OP's vehicle and damage it.)

Is the potential future value of the "One Claim Forgiveness" worth the current $620 benefit of claiming the insurance coverage?

I would ask the insurance carrier how much my premium would increase if I had another claim.

If the premium increase exceeded the $620 in up to three years, I would likely pay myself for the current damage.

If the premium increase was less than $620 over a few years, I would likely consider that my risk likelihood is low and the cost would be low and accept the insurance money now.

Thank you all for you responses. That’s good risk assessment!:)

I inclined not to report as I assessed the damage was not as bad as I thought. The front bumper was made of plastic which assures me it will not rust over the time. Besides, my colleagues (my Tesla is the lunch pal carrier) gave me some very creative suggestions. One is to use decoration vinyl to cover it up. I think that should work pretty good. Now I have to find that thing on the web.;)