Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does button on charging cable open Plaid charging port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

oktane

Oct 25, 2016
USA
On my Plaid, pushing the button on a HPWC charging cable doesn't open the port. I have to push the door for it to open.

Is this functionality deprecated on the refresh S or is my car not working as designed?

It should open the door. Is this a new wall connector? Did it ever open the door? Have you set up the wall connector and its WiFi connections? When you connect to the wall connector is it showing any errors? Tesla can do remote diagnoses and repair/replace if necessary. Get the identifying information for the wall connector and call Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
It's a bug. My August '21 Plaid charging door will open on some chargers but not all. Can't yet determine a pattern, no matter the charging source.
Tried moving the connectors various places around the port while pushing the button.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Again, no discernible pattern.
(best guess: 35 different charging sources in 11(?) states - level I, II, SC, whatever)

Since I am 2 inches from the port anyway, if the button doesn't open the port, I just touch it to open.

For me, this is a minor nit (is that redundant?) - certainly not worthy of me taking it in for a fix or calling out a Ranger.

Should it work all the time? Of course it should. But it doesn't. Of course it's a defect, but I can ignore this one. Entertaining in a way.

If the fix involves disassembling the car for a new antenna or such - no thank you - the work-around is less hassle than the repair.

If the fix is software - no problem. Do it.

Curious about the fix if there is one. Anybody have more info?

Reactions: oktane and Rocky_H
It's a bug. My August '21 Plaid charging door will open on some chargers but not all. Can't yet determine a pattern, no matter the charging source.
Tried moving the connectors various places around the port while pushing the button.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Again, no discernible pattern.
(best guess: 35 different charging sources in 11(?) states - level I, II, SC, whatever)

Since I am 2 inches from the port anyway, if the button doesn't open the port, I just touch it to open.

For me, this is a minor nit (is that redundant?) - certainly not worthy of me taking it in for a fix or calling out a Ranger.

Should it work all the time? Of course it should. But it doesn't. Of course it's a defect, but I can ignore this one. Entertaining in a way.

If the fix involves disassembling the car for a new antenna or such - no thank you - the work-around is less hassle than the repair.

If the fix is software - no problem. Do it.

Curious about the fix if there is one. Anybody have more info?

It's not a bug. It's a broken antenna in the charge port. You'll find if you open the trunk and point inside it it'll work fine. I had mine finally replaced. The part number is:

HV INLET,ASY,NA INTERIM,SX,P2(1567500-70-B)

This is a common issue. Don't kid yourself it's software.

See this thread:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/can’t-open-charge-port-with-wall-charger.249584/

It should open the door. Is this a new wall connector? Did it ever open the door? Have you set up the wall connector and its WiFi connections? When you connect to the wall connector is it showing any errors? Tesla can do remote diagnoses and repair/replace if necessary. Get the identifying information for the wall connector and call Home Charging Support team at 877-961-7652 and select the option for wall connector. The team is available M-F 8 AM to 5 PM PST.

I have an original wall connector wired to a 100A breaker I believe, and pull 80A on a charge (60 mph on dual charger equipped cars). No idea if there is WiFi on this thing, I really don't think so.

Reactions: DerbyDave
It's not a bug. It's a broken antenna in the charge port. You'll find if you open the trunk and point inside it it'll work fine. I had mine finally replaced. The part number is:

See this thread:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/can’t-open-charge-port-with-wall-charger.249584/

OMG. I'm going to try from inside the trunk and see if it works. It sounds like a common issue, very poor quality control on this part it would seem.

Reactions: WilliamG

See this thread:

You were spot on. My charging cable opens the port when I aim from inside the trunk, but not from outside the car.

Yeah I have this issue as well on my LR. It works sometimes, but often I'll have to get close enough that the (very small) door will actually strike the charging cable as it opens, and I don't want to damage the mechanism. So, I just press on the charge port. Maybe I'll get around to having it fixed, but after numerous other day-1 issues, I just want to get the important stuff resolved and drive the damn thing for a while.