Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does buying from dealer other than Tesla void warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey All,

I am in search of a P90D an spoke to a Tesla sales rep who told me that buying a used Tesla from a dealer other than Tesla will void the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the drive train. He said buying private sale does not void this warranty. Anyone know about this?

We recently traded in a 2015 Tesla with a new inventory 2017. Tesla rebated us directly for the unused maintenance warranty on our 2015. I assume this could mean that Tesla may not transfer warranties to new owners. If the original owner can't get his rebate back and pass the savings to you then simply eliminate this value from your cost.

unused maintenance warranty
Which is it - warranty or maintenance? I think you might be confusing two separate services.

According to Tesla, the vehicle warranty transfer to the new owner but it reads like this:

Does the New Vehicle Limited Warranty transfer to the new owner if I sell my Model S or X?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty will follow your vehicle and be transferred to the new owner when a vehicle ownership transfer is performed through Tesla.​

But OP is asking if the warranty transfers when purchased from a car dealer other than Tesla, not an original owner, which warranty page does not explain. I've heard too that buying from another dealer voids the warranty but have not seen it it writing

Hey All,

I am in search of a P90D an spoke to a Tesla sales rep who told me that buying a used Tesla from a dealer other than Tesla will void the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the drive train. He said buying private sale does not void this warranty. Anyone know about this?
Warranty runs with the car. The car would qualify for the 8 year unlimited warranty if it came with the car.

Tesla warranty is a bit awkward,

every car keeps its 8yr/unlimited on battery/drive unit no matter what

as for 50k/4yr original warranty, this stays with the car, if you buy from private party, you can buy another 4yr/50k miles extended warranty(if you bought from dealer, you cannot extend the warranty)

as for CPO 50k miles more/4yrs more, this also stays with car, you cannot buy the extra 4yr/50k miles extended warranty

hope that helps