Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does car keep temp when idle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the car keep the internal temp within some range when it is idle? This is a graph from Tessie showing the heater kicking on when the interior temp gets down to 61 and turning off when it hits 68. How is that controlled?

Attachments

• 4EFD168B-813D-4441-A92B-D3C260949921.png
    4EFD168B-813D-4441-A92B-D3C260949921.png
    156.7 KB · Views: 121
Hmm...as you can see in the picture, the outside temp was a constant 62, but the inside temp spiked twice and then cooled slowly, also to about 62 degrees. It spiked to 68 degrees, which is the temp set for the last driver, but the climate control system is off according to the app.

It's a 2023 MYLR Austin built in November 2022. I just installed 2023.2.10 last night and saw this this morning. I just checked Tessie and it's happened twice before, so it wasn't the update. I was on 2022.40.30 before. I only got Tessie a couple of weeks ago, so don't have a lot of data. This happened exactly half the time. The temperature when it activates and the high temp are not consistent.

I also noticed that the car doesn’t sleep when charging. Is that normal?
The car does not sleep while charging, because … well it is charging :)

I like to think of there being 5 modes: Sleeping, Charging, Idle, Idle with Sentry and Driving
The car is ‘awake’ during all of these modes except Sleep

If this change in Climate control is happening during charging I would not worry about it

Tessie says it doesn’t, but I don’t know.

Most of the popular third party apps can be configured to not wake the car once its asleep, if you follow the app makers directions properly to do so. With that being said, there is always a chance of something keeping the car awake.

To answer the thread question, temp in the car is not maintained normally when the car is sleep. in normal situations, cabin temp might be maintained if you activate climate from the app (or any third party anything does the same), or you turn on cabin overheat protection, or something like that.

I dont know the tessie app but I know its fairly popular. If it has the ability to schedule anything, and you ever did so, I would start by looking into that. Scheduled departure will also warm the interior of the cabin. You also want to look into its sleep settings to ensure you have it set however they want you to.

Every time you open the Tesla app (for example) it will wake the car up. if anything the tessie app is doing is interacting with the car (vs polling data) it may wake the car up.