Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does CCS Magic-dock allow CCS Equipped Salvage Tesla's to Charge with Superchargers again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume this likely will still be an issue, but I would love to know if someone has a salvage title and blacklisted Tesla that is CCS Enabled can now use the supercharger network again using the Magic Dock? I assume not since it's likely a VIN blacklist, but it is curious to ponder.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I can see one possible problem being that when you choose to charge a non-Tesla vehicle from the app, the Supercharger will lock the Magic Dock's CCS adapter onto the cable, so you won't have a NACS plug that will fit in the vehicle charge port. However, adding your own Tesla CCS1 to NACS adapter to convert back again might solve the problem.

seems like someone has done it already

Attachments

• 4E851306-B261-4F62-AE25-976D5290CA98.jpeg
    4E851306-B261-4F62-AE25-976D5290CA98.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 410
  • 6D975482-E830-4DEE-A56C-B801387D82A7.png
    6D975482-E830-4DEE-A56C-B801387D82A7.png
    401.7 KB · Views: 267
seems like someone has done it already
I am assuming this work around is hitting the 350A current limit, as identified by Kyle Conner of Out of Spec, limiting CCS charging of a 400 odd volt car to around 150kW.
Kyle identified that, at least for now, Tesla are following the 350A plated max current rating on the CCS adapter connected to the supercharger. They do not have this limit in Europe, and Australia is yet to open any V3(only V2) but being native CCS should follow Europe, and also this limit does not seem to be being applied to the Tesla NACS to CCS used by Tesla US owners connecting to third party chargers even though it has the same 350A plated max current rating.

A Tesla is going to show up as a Tesla no matter how it’s connected to the supercharger. The pins are straight through the CCS adapter and Magic Dock to the Tesla connector, there’s nothing being changed or translated along the way.
While that is true, it's possible Tesla assumes the car is CCS when you use the "non-Tesla" option with the dock and never bothers to check for and offer the traditional Tesla handshake. This will reduce the connection handshake time when a CCS car plugs in, so I can totally see them doing that.

Reactions: Rocky_H and GasNah
With there currently being so few sites w/"magic dock", it's an interesting question but not all that useful unless you live near/frequently go near the sites with it (e.g. only two in CA and a bunch in the NE of the US).

That should grow but by how much vs. other non-Tesla CCS networks is unknown (at least to me).