Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does CCS Magic-dock allow CCS Equipped Salvage Tesla's to Charge with Superchargers again?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This circles back to the rationale that Tesla does not want to jeopardize their supercharger network to potentially dangerous Tesla salvage cars.
A rationale completely rubbish now they opened their network to any other EV of which they have no idea about the quality.
They have zero excuses to open the chargers for salvage tesla cars.

Reactions: GasNah
A rationale completely rubbish now they opened their network to any other EV of which they have no idea about the quality.
I'm sure if they could identify non-Teslas that were salvaged they would ban them from the Supercharger network as well. But that isn't something they can easily do. You can only track them by the MAC address of their CCS network adapter, which isn't linked to the VIN. (But some OEMs have made that impossible, for example Rivian, where every single Rivian has the same MAC address. Which, also, precludes the ability to setup AutoCharge on networks like EVgo.)

I'm sure if they could identify non-Teslas that were salvaged they would ban them from the Supercharger network as well. But that isn't something they can easily do. You can only track them by the MAC address of their CCS network adapter, which isn't linked to the VIN. (But some OEMs have made that impossible, for example Rivian, where every single Rivian has the same MAC address. Which, also, precludes the ability to setup AutoCharge on networks like EVgo.)

Wait, every single rivian has the same Mac address? The whole point of a MAC address is to individualize each component. I wouldn't have thought they could get that through the standards committee. Amazing! And a terrible decision on rivian's part.

Reactions: Rocky_H and tomsla
This circles back to the rationale that Tesla does not want to jeopardize their supercharger network to potentially dangerous Tesla salvage cars.
It doesn't change the rationale, if a non-Tesla catches on fire that's not Tesla's fault and it'll be far less likely to be widely reported. If a Tesla catches on fire at a supercharger, it's a different story since Tesla is responsible for both the car and charger.

Wait, every single rivian has the same Mac address? The whole point of a MAC address is to individualize each component. I wouldn't have thought they could get that through the standards committee. Amazing! And a terrible decision on rivian's part.
The only thing I could guess is that they wanted a way to identify Rivians on their CCS chargers, since they are currently restricted to Rivians, but they don't have billing setup yet. So having a single MAC address makes it really easy.

I agree it is bad, but it may provide some privacy protections. (You can't track individual vehicles by their charges, you would have to track the payment method.) Sort of like most phones now allow you to either set a fixed MAC address for the WiFi adapter, or it can be randomized by each SSIS and/or connection. So Rivian may be setting the MAC address via software, and they could make it unique in a future update. (Like if customers demand it to be able to use AutoCharge.)

They have recently implemented Plug&Charge, but their release note only mentions it working on the Rivian Adventure, and Waypoint, Networks.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj
The only thing I could guess is that they wanted a way to identify Rivians on their CCS chargers, since they are currently restricted to Rivians, but they don't have billing setup yet. So having a single MAC address makes it really easy.

I agree it is bad, but it may provide some privacy protections. (You can't track individual vehicles by their charges, you would have to track the payment method.) Sort of like most phones now allow you to either set a fixed MAC address for the WiFi adapter, or it can be randomized by each SSIS and/or connection. So Rivian may be setting the MAC address via software, and they could make it unique in a future update. (Like if customers demand it to be able to use AutoCharge.)

They have recently implemented Plug&Charge, but their release note only mentions it working on the Rivian Adventure, and Waypoint, Networks.
The first half of a Mac address is supposed to be a OUI (Organizationally unique identifier), which is supposed to identify the vendor. So I don't think that rationale necessarily makes sense, given they can just query just first half if they wanted something simple. The second half still allows a unique identifier for each vehicle.
MAC address - Wikipedia
Organizationally unique identifier - Wikipedia

For example, I see Tesla reserved these four OUIs (couldn't find any for Rivian):
98ED5C
0C298F
54F8F0
4CFCAA
Registration Authority

While that is true, it's possible Tesla assumes the car is CCS when you use the "non-Tesla" option with the dock and never bothers to check for and offer the traditional Tesla handshake. This will reduce the connection handshake time when a CCS car plugs in, so I can totally see them doing that.
Lets see if someone tests it but my guess is no. The charge station is just a supply source. The Tesla software is what allows or denies the charger to charge and the charger is in and part of the car. Tesla has OTA changed software of owners of branded title that removes the ability to SC. They also remove "Trip Planner" from the menu (illegal IMO). It does not do so by making the supply equipment make the decision. If the car detects a Tesla SC supply source it will say no. My guess.

Forgot important word.
They have zero excuses to NOT open.

I disagree with this. While I do understand from an individual owner's perspective that it might be frustrating to have a repaired salvage vehicle not allowed on the charging network, I think it's good stewardship on Tesla's part to disallow those vehicles unless they have verified that it's safe for them to charge.

That said, I do think Tesla should provide some sort of certification service (perhaps for $1000 at a service center) where the battery is tested for safety.

The idea that Tesla is doing something wrong by playing it safe seems short-sighted and/or selfish.

Reactions: israndy