Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does Changing Color Change My Delivery Date?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE: Today I received my VIN !! The Est. Deliver Date is Jun28 -Jul 2. I’m so happy I changed the color and the trim. If you are on a long wait for a Model YLR, and can afford the price difference, consider changing the trim to Model YP, it could very much accelerate the delivery…For me, the estimated delivery date went from March 2023 to June 2022.
My specific order was originally Black MYLR, with Trailer Hitch, and standard wheels. My order date was March 15, 2022. The EDD provided was September 2022. On June 5, 2022, I modified my order to change the color to White MYLR with Trailer Hitch, and standard wheels, and the EDD when to Dec-March 2023. Then I modified it to White MYP with Trailer Hitch, and the EDD moved up to June 18-July 1. I have the VIN number today, and the EDD is June 28-July 2. I guess Tesla has lots of Model YPs being manufactured compared to Model YLRs.

UPDATE: Today I received my VIN !! The Est. Deliver Date is Jun28 -Jul 2. I’m so happy I changed the color and the trim. If you are on a long wait for a Model YLR, and can afford the price difference, consider changing the trim to Model YP, it could very much accelerate the delivery…For me, the estimated delivery date went from March 2023 to June 2022.
My specific order was originally Black MYLR, with Trailer Hitch, and standard wheels. My order date was March 15, 2022. The EDD provided was September 2022. On June 5, 2022, I modified my order to change the color to White MYLR with Trailer Hitch, and standard wheels, and the EDD when to Dec-March 2023. Then I modified it to White MYP with Trailer Hitch, and the EDD moved up to June 18-July 1. I have the VIN number today, and the EDD is June 28-July 2. I guess Tesla has lots of Model YPs being manufactured compared to Model YLRs.
Hello.

Can you tell me

a) When did your EDD changed to June after changing the trim from MYLR to MYP?

b) was it also June 5th that you changed the trim ? Or it was after June 5th?

Thanks

Hello.

Can you tell me

a) When did your EDD changed to June after changing the trim from MYLR to MYP?

b) was it also June 5th that you changed the trim ? Or it was after June 5th?

Thanks
On June 5, 2022, I changed my order from MYLR with EDD of Dec-Mar 2023, to a MYP, and the EDD changed immediately to June 18-July 1st. Yes, the same date I changed my trim, the EDD changed.
On June 11, 2022, I received my VIN.

On June 5, 2022, I changed my order from MYLR with EDD of Dec-Mar 2023, to a MYP, and the EDD changed immediately to June 18-July 1st. Yes, the same date I changed my trim, the EDD changed.
On June 11, 2022, I received my VIN.
No surprise. Matched the configurator dates exactly at that time. Moving buyers to higher profit models is the name of the game. Based on one small truckload, five of eight Model Y deliveries are now Performance vehicles. Any other input from other's observations?

Its same for me. OD 9/21/21 for MYLR vanilla.

• Got pushed to Oct2-Nov13 on June 8.
  • Changed to MYP on June 11.
  • EDD updated to Jun21-July2 on June 12 around 8AM ET
  • EDD Updated again to Jun14-19 on June 12 same day around 12 Noon.
  • Got VIN over Text/website on June 12 same day around 1230PM ET.

Out of curiosity, how soon did you switch to the MYP after switching colors on the MYLR?
It was June 6th when everyone's orders got pushed out to Dec-Mar or Mar-Jun but then a lot of those got reset back to more reasonable ranges over the next week.
I'm just wondering if your Dec-Mar estimate would have come back to something more reasonable, closer to your original Sept, after a week or so? No way to know anymore.

I'm thinking of changing my color to Blue from MSM in order to get myself out of the Mar-Jun'23 estimate I've been stuck in since June 6th. My original EDD was December '22. I'm not sure what that will do to my EDD but can't get much worse. I'll be changing from a no option order to an option order which usually improves EDD by 3 months.

I do think that switching to MYP is the more guaranteed way to accelerate delivery. Not sure I want to go to MYP or not.

So obviously changing to Performance moves your date up considerably but has anyone had their date move up by just changing the wheels?
I recently read one report of someone who had a no option order and then changed to a color that cost $. His EDD improved by 3 months. I can't recall which thread that was in.
So since your order has no options, you may get a better EDD by adding the 20" tires. But I don't think it is a certainty and there is always some risk involved. When texting Tesla they told me if I changed my color I'd be back of the line but all reports on these forums doesn't seem to be the case.

I recently read one report of someone who had a no option order and then changed to a color that cost $. His EDD improved by 3 months. I can't recall which thread that was in.
So since your order has no options, you may get a better EDD by adding the 20" tires. But I don't think it is a certainty and there is always some risk involved. When texting Tesla they told me if I changed my color I'd be back of the line but all reports on these forums doesn't seem to be the case.
Yea that still seems to be their official stance on changing your order, back of the line, current pricing but that isn't the case anymore.

Out of curiosity, how soon did you switch to the MYP after switching colors on the MYLR?
It was June 6th when everyone's orders got pushed out to Dec-Mar or Mar-Jun but then a lot of those got reset back to more reasonable ranges over the next week.
I'm just wondering if your Dec-Mar estimate would have come back to something more reasonable, closer to your original Sept, after a week or so? No way to know anymore.

I'm thinking of changing my color to Blue from MSM in order to get myself out of the Mar-Jun'23 estimate I've been stuck in since June 6th. My original EDD was December '22. I'm not sure what that will do to my EDD but can't get much worse. I'll be changing from a no option order to an option order which usually improves EDD by 3 months.

I do think that switching to MYP is the more guaranteed way to accelerate delivery. Not sure I want to go to MYP or not

I switched to a MYP the day following the color change. I gave up on the MYLR.
Good news, today I received a text “It’s time to schedule your model Y for delivery”. My appointment time is Monday June 27th. On June 5th, I switched from MYLR to MYP. I will receive my car 22 days after ordering it. Wow that is fast!! I wish they had told me upfront, “Order the MYP and get it in 22 days”. and “order the MYLR and get it in 6-12 months”. I would have chosen 22 days from the beginning.

Good news, today I received a text “It’s time to schedule your model Y for delivery”. My appointment time is Monday June 27th. On June 5th, I switched from MYLR to MYP. I will receive my car 22 days after ordering it. Wow that is fast!! I wish they had told me upfront, “Order the MYP and get it in 22 days”. and “order the MYLR and get it in 6-12 months”. I would have chosen 22 days from the beginning.
Did you pay the current new price on the MYP? I suspect so.

June 30th update: Today, I picked up my new MYP. All went well. What a wonderful day, and an exciting 3 weeks!
On June 5th, I changed from MYLR to MYP, and now 25 days later, I have the car. When I picked it up at the delivery center in Raleigh, the advisor mentioned that choosing the MYP is a certain way to get it sooner. It seems to me that the demand is too high for MYLR compared to the MYP. Again, given the choice, I’d always choose MYP to get my car now, versus next year. The cost difference is minimal. The ride is smooth, the speed is fast, and the wheels are wonderful to look at. I have an appointment tomorrow to install rim protectors. Good luck with your order. If you are tired of waiting, do what I did, and switch your order to MYP.

Reactions: Fairchild